Really Want to Dive Into Salamanders Lore

AnImA8

Hey all! I recently bought some Salamanders models and have started toying around with paint schemes. I’ve decided on running the 3rd Company Pyroclasts with some 1st Company and Masters of the Forge support. Since I’m trying to adhere to the color scheme for the shoulders to delineate the company’s, I was wondering why the codex says that Sallies don’t use squad designations, just Company designations? And in the artwork, they have a Salamander with 4’s painted on his armor. Is that also to show he’s from 4th company? Are there any good references for Salamander lore (the codex seemingly speaks little about them...)? Thanks for your help!

The Warhammerwiki and the Lexicanum have extensive lore on everything lore-wise.

As far as the Salamanders go, they designate their companies with a different color chapter symbol and background on the left shoulder. 

The thing about squad designations with the Salamanders is that they aren't really a codex-compliant Chapter, only having 7 companies.

They designate squad on the right shoulder with a flame symbol and a gothic stenciled number. Hope that helps. 

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Salamanders

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Salamanders

Hi there brother! The Salamanders display their company designation on their left shoulder. The color of the Salamander symbol denotes company. For instance, the 5th company has a yellow shoulder pad with a black Salamander symbol. The 4th has a green Salamander. However, for some reason, the 2nd company has white, and the 3rd has yellow. The numbers painted on their armor, such as their legs, I do believe those are squad numbers.

For a lot of good information on the Salamanders, Lexicanum is a good source to go to. Although it is unofficial, so it can be incorrect at times, which I find to be rare thankfully.

I just echoed everything Jagus said. Lol. And since they only have 7 companies, there are 120 marines in each. I believe an extra tactical squad and devastator squad if memory serves.

Sorry, my Salamander nerdiness is coming out. Lol.

While I agree the Salamanders are unsung heroes of 40k, I don't agree with throwing the Ultramarines under the bus. Its hard to get used to the hate for my boys in blue.

when one guy makes multiple codexes and books talking about how awesome they are because they follow the rules to to the letter like a bunch of unthinking idiots, how tactically skilled they are because they use tactics that anyone could think of, and how their chapter master is the most awesome because he can go super Saiyan, blow up the deathstar, find the holy grail, and has dined with the emperor himself, it's pretty hard to shake the hate.

On topic, good job on choosing Salamanders. Definitely one of my top three loyalist legions and overall the most grounded. We also are one of the best armies in the SM codex.

While I agree the Salamanders are unsung heroes of 40k, I don't agree with throwing the Ultramarines under the bus. Its hard to get used to the hate for my boys in blue.

when one guy makes multiple codexes and books talking about how awesome they are because they follow the rules to to the letter like a bunch of unthinking idiots, how tactically skilled they are because they use tactics that anyone could think of, and how their chapter master is the most awesome because he can go super Saiyan, blow up the deathstar, find the holy grail, and has dined with the emperor himself, it's pretty hard to shake the hate.

On topic, good job on choosing Salamanders. Definitely one of my top three loyalist legions and overall the most grounded. We also are one of the best armies in the SM codex.

So then correction, you should hate that "one guy" because when "Ultramarines" leaves someones mouth in a not so cool manner on a Salamander thread, it really is irritating and unnecessary.

So then correction, you should hate that "one guy" because when "Ultramarines" leaves someones mouth in a not so cool manner on a Salamander thread, it really is irritating and unnecessary.
hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. Just saying why people don't like the Ultramarines. You know that fans can be irrational and when one faction gets more focus in the fluff, gets more books, and is generally celebrated as "the best", it's hard for most people to like them. Seriously, who is the primarch that just came back tolead the Imperium in it's darkest hour? Who just saved countless chapters from the brink of extinction? It can be hard to like a faction when they get more focus. Just like how it can be hard to like a sibling when your parents spend more time with them.

hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. Just saying why people don't like the Ultramarines. You know that fans can be irrational and when one faction gets more focus in the fluff, gets more books, and is generally celebrated as "the best", it's hard for most people to like them. Seriously, who is the primarch that just came back tolead the Imperium in it's darkest hour? Who just saved countless chapters from the brink of extinction? It can be hard to like a faction when they get more focus. Just like how it can be hard to like a sibling when your parents spend more time with them.
Yeah, I understand that. I know the Ultramarines get too much attention. Way too much. Hopefully they start giving attention to the Salamanders or Imperial Fists or something. Bring Johnson back, anything.

Anyways, I'll stop it here before we get in trouble. Lol. It was good talking with ya Slan.

Yeah, I understand that. I know the Ultramarines get too much attention. Way too much. Hopefully they start giving attention to the Salamanders or Imperial Fists or something. Bring Johnson back, anything.

Anyways, I'll stop it here before we get in trouble. Lol. It was good talking with ya Slan.

Salamanders pre-orders for the new book is in eight days! I have nothing against Ultramarines. They are quite awesome! They just lack certain qualities that a "Savior of the Imperium" should have. Salamanders were the clean up crew for all of the legions and the messes they created by just rushing forward to conquer as many worlds as they could in a contest for the Emperor. 

I just have mad respect for a chapter that understands why they were created and willingly sacrifice their lives to protect the lives of the people they were designed to protect. There are many examples of all of the other legions ignoring human casualties in favor of retreat or victory. I don't recall a single instance where the lives of humans were expended so Salamanders could retreat. They are just completely selfless in everything I've read about them. 

Also, the fanboy in me wants to say this, our primach is immortal. Bow down son! ^_^

Salamanders pre-orders for the new book is in eight days! I have nothing against Ultramarines. They are quite awesome! They just lack certain qualities that a "Savior of the Imperium" should have. Salamanders were the clean up crew for all of the legions and the messes they created by just rushing forward to conquer as many worlds as they could in a contest for the Emperor. 

I just have mad respect for a chapter that understands why they were created and willingly sacrifice their lives to protect the lives of the people they were designed to protect. There are many examples of all of the other legions ignoring human casualties in favor of retreat or victory. I don't recall a single instance where the lives of humans were expended so Salamanders could retreat. They are just completely selfless in everything I've read about them. 

Also, the fanboy in me wants to say this, our primach is immortal. Bow down son! ^_^

I agree the Salamanders are hands down the best chapter when it comes to defending humans. No other chapter comes close. Matter of fact, my own custom chapter takes after the Salamanders in that regard. The Salamanders are also tied with the Ultramarines as my favorite chapters. So its all good Aothaine. Lol.

I agree the Salamanders are hands down the best chapter when it comes to defending humans. No other chapter comes close. Matter of fact, my own custom chapter takes after the Salamanders in that regard. The Salamanders are also tied with the Ultramarines as my favorite chapters. So its all good Aothaine. Lol.

"Modern" Space Wolves are also in that race though. There are many instances of them going against Imperial orders or making a sub optimal decision in the name of protecting humanity! Like you it's for sure a point of pride in my Chapter. :)

"Modern" Space Wolves are also in that race though. There are many instances of them going against Imperial orders or making a sub optimal decision in the name of protecting humanity! Like you it's for sure a point of pride in my Chapter. :)

That is true. Logan Grimnar is earning a lot more respect from me. I am very impressed with them. I never really viewed them as the humanitarian type. I think I'm gonna try to get a few squads of SW in the future, because they are earning the respect from me.

The Salamanders organisation has always been really screwy. The studio can't make up their mind as to how the Chapter works regarding Company numbers and the cities. On one hand, we're told there are 7 Companies and 7 cities, and that each Company has an associated city, and draws its recruits from there, like the Iron Hands with their Clans. Then, however, we're also told that there are also dedicated Scout and Veteran Companies that are independent, so there now should be 9 Companies (1 Veteran, 7 Battle, 1 Scout), but then the organisation chart shows only 7 again. So, to recap, there are only 7 Companies, each based in a city on Nocturne, each recruiting from that city only, except that there's a Scout Company comprised solely of recruits from each of the 7 cities, and the Firedrakes, the Veteran Company, based only on Prometheus and doesn't recruit directly but takes Veterans from the other Companies.

In regards to sources of fluff, I'd also recommend trying to find the Forge World books that touch on the Salamanders (Horus Heresy: Massacre, and Badab War Volume 2, although the Badab War one isn't that great). Interesting fact to really boost the Sallies over the Ultras, is the Salamanders were part of the "trefoil" Legions, alongside the Space Wolves and Alpha Legion, that were under even greater secrecy in their creation than the other Legions, and it's indicated that a great many of the earliest battles of the XVIIIth Legion were classified at the highest levels, with their first acknowledged battle happening as one of the final battles on Terra.

The early XVIIIth were also known for their almost suicidal fury, and got a reputation for desperate last stands and rear-guards, due to being very spread out and used as a relief force for the wider Crusade. The Imperial Army loved and hated them, as they worked to protect everyone they could, but also were an indication that the battle you were about to fight was really gonna suck, and you were going to be really outnumbered.

The background seems to indicate that this was the hidden purpose of the Salamanders. The Alpha Legion were designed as the secret police, and the Space Wolves were designed as a weapon of last resort, and the Salamanders were specifically designed to be more resilient, both physically and mentally, than the other Legions, to hold the line when all others would perish (which also explains Vulkan being a Perpetual). 

To quote the Emperor Himself, "they shall not fail me, they will return from the fire, thus it shall ever be".

I've always had a special love of the Salamanders, it's why the cluster-:censored:  that GW has made of how they're organized is so annoying. Really, they need to make the Salamanders organised like a halfway point between the Iron Hands and a Codex-compliant organization. Give them a Veteran Company and Scout Company, plus 7 oversized Battle Companies, of 7 Tactical, 3 Heavy Support and 2 Assault/Close Support squads. 

Great Post Lord_C! FW Horus Heresy Book II is a must for Salamanders fans. I know it is a hell of an investment, but the lore justifies it.

I have always been a fan of Salamanders since Codex Armeggedon. But what I learned in Book II made me love them even more. The mystery around their creation is super intriguing because, imho, they were never very complicated or super snow flake like some of the other legions. But now I wonder if they have a destiny yet realized? Or a purpose they never got to fulfill?

Also I just got 'Old Earth' yesterday and am enjoying that. I am barely into it but right off the bat the book reinforces this idea that Vulkan had a special unique purpose beyond that of most of his brothers.

Can't wait to keep reading. And my gosh do I love the cover art. I am going to have to figure out how to model the 3 draaksward guys.

• 1 month later...

Which one guy would this be?

Archived