So, who are you fine folks anyway?

Hello,

I’m 40kChris, or just Chris works too. My first dabbling in 40k was when a friend had a copy of White Dwarf and some old Legion of the Damned painted up at his house in the late 80s. That started everything. Fast forward a few months later and we were playing a group game and my Avatar of Khaine got run over by a Rhino. Then I was hooked.

The only FLGS that was around, or passed for one, was in the basement of the post office in town. I was able to get a few metal space orks and space elves and I’d paractice painting on them. Strip off the paint. Re-paint them, etc. That lasted for a few years and then life happened.

Fast forward even further, my wife and I decided to go spend some time in Canada and we all went shopping. Her son was 8 at the time. It was the first time I had ever seen a GW store in the wild. We went in and her son’s eyes lit up. We got the 2nd edition box set, at least I think it was... SM & DE, went back to the hotel and started building and a game or 2. Since then everything hobby was has always been in fits and starts. Recently though, I quit my job, we moved and I’m starting my studio in the fall. This gives me more time for painting... which I desperately need to do.

I use twitter frequently and I have a blog I use less frequently, links to both in my sig.

It’s nice to meet everyone.

Wow. I'm an idiot. Lmao. Didn't look at the tag for chaos. Just saw the saw the introduction so, I figured I would come out. Lol. I'm gonna need to go on a penitent crusade for my stupidity!

Got'im!

Can't go back to the imperium if you are covered in warp taint! Welcome to the eight fold path!

Wow. I'm an idiot. Lmao. Didn't look at the tag for chaos. Just saw the saw the introduction so, I figured I would come out. Lol. I'm gonna need to go on a penitent crusade for my stupidity!

Got'im!

Can't go back to the imperium if you are covered in warp taint! Welcome to the eight fold path!

I legitimately feel like the Mantis Warriors from the Badab War. I have been decieved! My honour is gone. I'm gonna go fall on my power sword now.

Hey everyone, such a nice community here I'm glad I joined in.  Compared to a lot of you vets I'm a relative newcomer to 40k, over 20 years ago I played fantasy then left that behind... then while at college I joined in 40k around Battle of Macragge, so what like... early 2000s and even then I wasnt that active a player or painter. then about 10 years ago I moved and made friends with Krakendoomcool and our hobbies started kicking into overdrive.

Since then I've got Tyranids, Daemons, Thousand Sons, Inquision, Grey Knights, Eldar and Ad Mech.  now I have 2 small kids so games are few and far between but in the last few months things got turned up to 11 on the hobby side when I joined in with Krakendoomcool and Warbringer writing a Hobby Blog.  I've never been so enthusiastic or put this much effort into making my models look cool, which annoyingly makes my backlog extend from unfinished projects... to all of my models pre-blog.

I'm a pretty casual gamer, competative but I would rather lose and interesting game than win a landslide victory.

I have a WIP thread here on Bolter addition to the stuff on the blog if anyone is interested in seeing that. its currently an alternative take on Possessed Space Marines... people have been enjoying the grossness of my most recent conversion.  Please feel free to join in and make suggestions as I love collaborations and community led ideas, if you like the blog or have any feedback for us, please leave a comment... they are like the holy grail of the blog!

Nice to meet you all! thanks for contributing to this super cool hobby community.

You know what's cooler than falling on your own sword and less time consuming than a Penitent Crusade, Ultramarine vet?

Dabbling in forbidden sorcery, growing extra limbs, and slapping ruinous emblems on everything. We don't judge around here. All are welcome!

All.

Are.

Welcome...

Apart from hushrong, he smells of candyfloss and depression. His eyes are too close together and he has three nipples, on his cheek. Nope dont trust that guy at all. :lol:

Apart from hushrong, he smells of candyfloss and depression. His eyes are too close together and he has three nipples, on his cheek. Nope dont trust that guy at all. :lol:

I just about spit water everywhere when I read the “on his cheek” part... well done!

Gods burning alive do I love Chaos and our Community!

On a seriousness note, this has been a grand thread, Dragonlover! I keep running out of likes to hit everybody up but this thread has been a great read through. I love reading all the different backgrounds, interests, and reasons we play, collect, and rock out with chaos.

My hats off to fellow Frater and Brethren on all of B&C! Even the Loyalists and the weird xenos! There’s nowhere else on the net I’d rather be!

Except staring at my shopping cart on FW having minor panic attacks.

Apart from hushrong, he smells of candyfloss and depression. His eyes are too close together and he has three nipples, on his cheek. Nope dont trust that guy at all. :laugh.:

I just about spit water everywhere when I read the “on his cheek” part... well done!

Yeah. That got me too.

We got the 2nd edition box set, at least I think it was... SM & DE, went back to the hotel and started building and a game or 2. 

That was 3rd ed - 2nd ed had mono-pose marines, orks and gretchin, and 2d cardboard dreadnoughts.

Thought it was about time I chime in.

I am Dr. Ruminahui (or Dr R, Dr Rumi or Rumi).

My first encounter with GW was translating and playing Herosquest in Spanish in the early 90s.  I then got into Necromunda, and painted that and various other figures (GW and otherwise) in the mid 90s.  I then got into the hobby for real right at the transition from 2nd to 3rd ed, playing sisters of battle back from under their horrible "codex" in the back of the 3rd ed rulebook, their pretty good rules from a chapter approved article and their okay rules in the 4th ed witch hunters codex - so, from about 2001 to 2005.  I have about 2000 points of them, mostly old figures (such as the old rhinos, immolators) and with scratch built exorcists as there was no model for them at that time.

At about that time, I started to put together a Night Lords list under the 2nd 3rd ed codex (the good one) but found that I didn't like painting models that colour so stopped (my sisters army was also in blue, so trying to switch to another blue army was probably a mistake).  Before giving up, I did make a number of conversions, including my first batch of "warrior to marine" conversions, which I kept. 

I instead switched to imperial guard, where I painted and played a conscript centric army,  eventually painting about 4000 points worth, mostly infantry (about 400 models worth).  I did them in kind of a tan and brown colour scheme.  I painted and paid them from about 2005 to 2010.  By then, my life was kind of messed up and I fell out of playing and painting - that would have just before 6th edition, as I had bought the 6th ed Dark Vengeance box but it essentially remained unopened.  During that period, I was pretty active on the 40K online site, but that stopped at about the same time I kind of slid out of the hobby.

In late 2016, as part of my getting my life back together, I decided to start painting again and decided to give my chaos models another go.  This time I decided to do them in purple, as I really like the colour, and I hadn't ever done a purple army (when I was playing sisters I tried doing a purple tyranid army, and although I liked the look I didn't enjoy painting them, so it didn't go anywhere).  I like the look, so I decided to buy the 7th ed. Dark Vengeance box and the then current codexes for each of my armies.  I then played a grand total of 1 7th ed game before the edition changed (and 1 after).  That said, while I regret buying all those 7th ed books, I don't regret the edition change - I really didn't enjoy the rules bloat that occured in 6th and 7th ed.

About the same time, I went looking for an online 40K community to be involved in.  I first tried my old stomping ground 40K online, but it was pretty much dead, so I tried and registered here.  Took my about a year before I was comfortable enough to start posting, though - the quality of modelling and painting on here (especially in the WIP and Hall of Honour threads) is seriously intimidating.

Interestingly (at least to me) I decided on Emperor's Children after I chose my colour scheme of purple and gold.  I went looking for what renegade legions used those colours, but only came up with the Soul Drinkers, who in their books are a bunch of cretins and idiots (seriously, they thought their leader growing spider legs was a sign the Emperor loved them).  Only then did I go Emperor's Children, later working out a background that explained their pre-heresy colours (they are renegades who free a scouring era Emperor's Children demon prince, who becomes their leader).

Its only through this thread that I've come to realize how much older the users are here compared to those on 40K online when I was there - I don't feel like the token old guy here. :smile.:

Cool thread - awesome to learn a little more about folks. I gotta say as well, the tone on the CSM sub forum is the best I can recall, thanks to both the mods and members fostering community (and the occasional wayward Ultramarine)

Ok, I've played 40k and Chaos since 2nd edition, along with Orks and briefly Tyranids and Dark Eldar and I've been a member on B&C since 2005 or so. I do d this forum (particularly Works in Progress) to be a great inspiration.

Like others, my hobby time has waxed and waned as I've gone through life and I am trying to get back into the swing of regular gaming. Luckily I've found a club at my FLGS so that looks possible.

In the past, I've used undivided lists and renegades, almost always with some khornate elements, so I was very pleased to get the Daemonkin codex and fairly letdown when it got sidelined for the new edition. I am still running a Khornate force though, with nearly 2k of Worldeaters and 1500 points of Khorne daemons at my disposal. I am a casual player and have won around half my games with this force, still trying to get to grips with the right tactics after the FAQ.

Akrims the name (gamer tag for prob 20yrs) -

Started scale models very young - got into 40K & Fantasy systems in the late 90s -  cant believe its been so long). Fortunate enough to be rolling dice with the same group of misfits most of that time. The winters can be long and cold up in Canada so its a good hobby for that.

Ive done almost every army except Eldars (I despise them) and SMs. Very large Ork and Imperial Guard armies.

Came to Chaos with my Word Bearers in 4th ed - Ar'kens Infernal Host - the daemon bombing days, and subsequently here at the B&C. Didnt play them much during 5th-7th and they languished in the warp (storage) until I decided to resurrect them. They were formerly my tournament going army so painted to a decent standard but Ive been adding new elements to them.

They are known to be accompanied by the Kor'bath Brigade - a vicious renegade militia to do the bloody trenchwork for them.

Having fun with it - enjoying the retrofit project and got over the hump of painting 100+ Cultists.

gaurdian31 here!

Been playing 40k since 3rd ed. Started as Chaos as the friend who introduced was Ultramarines and needed an opposite to play against. Went with Khorne as he seemed like a nice fella. I've dabbled into all of the armies aside from Sisters (which will change once they get plastic) and Guard (unless you count traitor guard).  I always float back to Chaos though. Currently playing Death Guard. I've been a lurker since 2008 and still can't believe it has been that long. I'm mostly lurking in the WIP and Hall of Honour to be inspired by all the models there. I have a lot bare plastic, but I really do enjoy painting Chaos the most. 

• 9 months later...

MegaVolt87 here,

Returning to the hobby after a long exile/journey with other systems/ scales. Started in 3rd ed with BL, then switched to loyalists. Coming back strong with Iron Warriors, more so because I have a long term plan with them modeling wise. I was a bit bummed out as well starting out with my painting and modeling skills when I was younger. I was very self conscious about my painting, it got to the point where I just was just base coating black and that's it. Also the flyers in 6-7th ed, which were pretty meta where I played. Walking away and being in other systems/scales I feel has helped me grow as a hobbyist and player. Knights are looking to be the same thing to likely put me off 40k like flyers did, however I now see it as more of a sign of lack of imagination and actual skill because they are just such a crutch IMO. I also understand if you have limited cash, makes sense to buy a force with something with 1500% effectiveness compared to everything else. Chaos might not be the strongest army, but its one where you can be proud of the converting/modeling and painting of. No point winning if there is no style or substance.

(I know that's a lot of shade thrown at Knights players, I don't care. Chaos had a bad rep with the 3.5 ed dex, you deal.)

Hey guys, guess I forgot to post in here before. Long time chaos player who was out of the hobby for a good 15 years or so. American guy living in Berlin Germany the last near 6 years. The Horus Heresey box sets and Death Guard refresh got me back in heavy. The latest refresh actually has me painting and building a lot more, might even manage a game this summer! Anyway it’s awesome and inspiring seeing all this chaos excitement !

I am Wayniac.  I started playing 40k in 1996 (so 2nd edition), took a break when the game store near me closed around 2001 and only recently got back into GW gaming around 2017; before that I was very anti-GW as I saw how they changed for the worse in the mid 2000s (I kept following the game despite having nowhere to play) and since I saw games outside the GW bubble during that time so I began to appreciate all the things GW seemed incapable of doing.

When I came back, I tried 7th edition 40k and it felt so miserable I swore it off but 8th got me interested again but I am extremely indecisive with armies and have switched what I want to play many, many times.  I also care way more than I should about the fluff and background and it really bugs me seeing things like soup or mixing subfactions across multiple detachments in the same army, but this is because I spent over 20 years immersing myself in the background of 40k even when I wasn't playing the game.  Seeing GW themselves endorse souping lists or taking multiple factions just feels incredibly wrong to me but I remember White Dwarf articles where they spoke out against that very thing years ago in the days of Rick Priestly and Andy Chambers.

After reading Talon of Horus and Black Legion, I made my decision to go back to my original Chaos army from 1996: Black Legion, and have been all in with the latest releases.

I'm TrawlingCleaner, I've been playing 40k on an off for about 10ish years. My first set was the space marines vs tyranids that came with the tacs, nids, little bits of terrain and the pilot guy that couldn't actually be used in 40k if I remember correctly. I'm a serial hobby butterfly but have recently kept to two armies for the best part of a year, GSC being one and Chaos being the other. I started a small Word Bearers army and made a Red Corsairs Killteam with plans to convert a Huron Blackheart model out of AoS and primaris parts but both of those died off pretty quickly and I have picked Chaos back up with Black Legion. I blame these lovely new models. Black Legion were what got me into Chaos back in the day after the starter box back when I couldn't keep the paint on the lines of the model's trim. Really looking forward to getting back into my chaos again.

I'm robofish7591, I started playing 40k at the very end of 5th edition.  Black Legion was my first army, but I have played or bought models for every faction at some point.  Currently, the Imperial Guard has been my main project... but with the new updated models I can't resist the call of chaos!  This time, I am going to be playing Night Lords... or at least I will once Forgeworld restocks the terror squad heads! :tongue.:

I'm malisteen Sception. Have been on here (as Malisteen) since the latter days of 3rd edition, though my presence comes and goes with interest. I still remember the heady days of the Eye of Terror campaign, though I was more active elsewhere back then. Was part of the griping & winging cohort from 4th through pre-traitor-legions 7th, though less so as time went on, mostly because there was just less to say, and because my mechanical familiarity with the game slipped from years without regular games due to regular opponents quitting and just not enjoying the csm rule set during that period. Certainly better days now, even if the game overall is a bit of a mess & meq units in general didnt adapt well to the new ap rules.

What hasnt changed in all that time is that I'm a big black legion fan, proponent, & apologist, and will generally leap at an opportunity to talk up the warmaster, talk down the primarchs, and promote a healthy embrace of the gifts offered by the dark powers (while holding back from becoming overly enthralled to any singular daemonic patron).

As such I'm pretty excited with the current release wave, and heartily endorse the direction GW is taking with the chaos marine line, even if I think it would have been better to wait until all four cult legions and maybe traitor guard had been done as their own books first, opening up room for a more holistic revision of the csm ruleset to match the updated model range.

EDIT:  Whoo, I'm now Sception here.

I'm Hellrender, been her since the last days of 5th edition, and played chaos since 6th! (due to DV chosen). Mid-7th edition, i lost interest in 40k, and started Salamanders in 30k, as well as branching out to Chaos in AoS. Now that Chaos has wonderful new models, with plenty of combination to explore, i'm again highly inspired to paint some up. At the moment i'm preparing a large Chaos force, mostly Red Corsairs with daemons, and await the mighty ETL!

Sonoftherubric21 here! You can also call me Daniel. 

Confession: I have a problem... and that problem is Chaos!

I have played fairly consistently since late 3rd edition and as such began with the 3.5 codex.  After 3.5 I quit chaos for a long time only coming back when the Thousand Sons finally got their update in 2016 with Wrath of Magnus. Truly a great time for my favorite legion and it only got better since. However, despite the Thousand Sons being my favorite, I really enjoy all of chaos and as such 3 of my 4 armies are in fact Chaos Space Marine focused lists. 

Thousand Sons with a splash of Tzeentch Daemons. 

Black Legion which encompasses all "non-tzeentch" units with a very large focus on Marines. 

Iron Warriors.....Because I recently read Storm of Iron and aside from loving the novel had 20 Mark 3 marines laying around.....a kitbash with these gorgeous brand new kits and and one novel later I have the beginnings of an iron warriors army.... I have a problem! 

The other issue (if we can call it that) is that Bolter and Chainsword has a truly wonderful Chaos community which is rare in the wailing and gnashing of teeth that is generally the internet so I stay away from other forums and facebooks chaos community which is generally a toxic mess... So I interact with the wonderful Frater we have here and have found much inspiration to go wild with.... wonderful for catharsis, inspiration, and community.....awful for my wallet. 

As with many here I quite enjoy variety in army lists and I love the traitor legions. As of late Loyalists just truly hold no interest for me so I am *ALL* in for the Dark Gods and I cannot wait to see the future EC and WE releases!!!  (as well as possible traitor guard!!!) 

Archived