I don't like Tzaangors or Cultists, is my warband hopeless?

Quixus

As the title says I am neither fond of Cultists nor Tzaangors in a Thousand Sons army. Is an army using only Sorcerers, Suits of Armour, daemons and vehicles viable?

What do you think about using a separate detachment of Horrors to fill the hole? Which type(s) of Horrors would you recommend?

I don’t use cultists, daemons, or tzaangors and do okay. I don’t play in a competitive meta nor minded losing when starting out.

These themes have helped me:

- present a tough unit that strike fear in your opponent. For me this is a buffed 20 man rubric squad.

- maximize mortal wound spam

- without cheap screens, you will need to rely even more on mobility and careful deployment

- forgeworld can be a powerful friend

I suspect daemons will be a sufficient replacement for the units you don’t like. Their attributes of cheap cost and therefore board control will help plug gaps that an otherwise elite shooting army will always have. I don’t have any firsthand experience with daemons though.

Daemons of tzeentch are a very good substitute

If you dont mind getting the extra 6" on spells and ignoring the smite restriction you could just use "tzeentch detachments" (i wouldnt do this personally)

Rubrics are not the best but a big unit with the defensive spells can be quite tough (horrors are tougher)

Depending how much cp you need you dont need a battallion necessarily, but chaff is very useful

If you dont hate them too, ahriman and as many daemon princes of tzeentch as your game size will allow (3 at 2k) would be more beneficial (IMO) than cultists or tzaangors. Especially with horrors.

If you dont mind getting the extra 6" on spells and ignoring the smite restriction you could just use "tzeentch detachments" (i wouldnt do this personally)

Me neither. Separate detachments it is.

Rubrics are not the best but a big unit with the defensive spells can be quite tough (horrors are tougher)

I was thinking about one 10 man unit with SRC and and two 5 man units (possibly with flamers).

Depending how much cp you need you dont need a battallion necessarily, but chaff is very useful

5 extra cp are just too tempting.

If you dont hate them too, ahriman and as many daemon princes of tzeentch as your game size will allow (3 at 2k) would be more beneficial (IMO) than cultists or tzaangors. Especially with horrors.

Ahriman and one DPoT were already on the list. Hmm more DPs instead of Sorcerers, interesting but expensive.

Depending what sorcerers you take, think of a DP as a 39 point upgrade for an ES sorcerer on disc which gives you 3 extra attacks, rend, twice as many wounds, extra strength, toughness, +1 invuln, grants rerolls to daemons and 6 more spells to choose from. With the ability to cast twice they brimg everything the sorcerers bring + much more.

For the +5 cp brimstones are ideal. If youre not sensitive to mixing gods, at 54pts a unit nurglings are my preferred option

The discipline of Tzeentch has some powers that benefit daemon units. I don't know how they compare with those from Codex: Daemons.

It's the exact same discipline.

The discipline of Tzeentch has some powers that benefit daemon units. I don't know how they compare with those from Codex: Daemons.

Ah yes, I remembered something about the faction keyword DAEMON not being the same as the regular keyword DAEMON. What I was confused about was what this ruling applies to. As of now it only applies to Stratagems not Psychic powers. So the TS Daemons could buff the Chaos Daemons with powers. But then again such powers could also be cast by a herald.

I don't think your doomed at all in standard everyday play, casual play, FLG play, even low-level competitive play you would be fine. Against someone at tourney-level gameplay? you will be on the backfoot, but to be fair that's true of 90% of armies in the game.  Rubrics have some very definite strengths, and some very definite weaknesses. 

The problem with Rubricae is that they are an "elite" unit in an edition that hates elite units.  I *always* include a couple units of Rubrics in my army as I find them quite useful, but to mitigate weaknesses theres a couple of tactics to keep in mind: 

Alpha strike (Inside a Rhino, OR through deepstriking turn 2) its important the squad gets the first shot to nail the thing they are aiming for.

Unit built, either totally Bolter + Reaper cannon, or Flamers out the wazoo all have their place. 

As previously stated the "Ru-Brick" as its come to be called, 20 man blob of Rubrics that either deepstrike Or foot slog it with crazy buffs stacking on them really do make for a solid block of a core to hold the center of the board.  *note* When taking the Ru-brick tactic you should ALWAYS have a Dark Matter Crystal, the re-deploy will stop that whole "charge it fast!" chicanery, redeploy them and plug the unit causing the issues. 

Due to the extra CP we don't care about morale, thats 2 CP well spent if someone takes an entire army worth of shooting to really deal damage to a 20 man Rubric unit. In 2k I often run 30 or so Rubrics myself, supplementing cultists and tzaangors to make up the body difference. In your case? 10 in rhino, 10 in rhino, 20 man Ru-Brick unit sounds like a decent idea. I have had reasonable success with something similar. 

Weaver and Glamour will be huge for that kind of strategy, luckily we have caster to spare.

---

If you want to use horrors? they are all pretty good, Pinks in blobs are fantastic.  and brims/blues hold objectives and clog enemy units with the best of em. 

As someone who owns no Tzaangors other than a unit of Enlightened, I am somewhat in the same boat. Others have stated you can take a cheap and solid daemons battalion for sweet CP, but I will tell you that cultists are a nice way to round out a TS battalion, and the good news is that if you don't like them you won't have to put up with their presence on the table for very long. :)

As I became frustrated with the massive angle on Tzaangors in this edition, I came to realize how valuable they’ve been against some really salty units that can ruin your day.

Some people really like to stack anti Psyker stuff against Thousand Sons. This is where a cheap mini horde really pays off. I’ve always used Tzaangors this way. I’ve never been a fan of over doing it, but you might find yourself coming around to accepting that the army overall is so expensive that there is real value in at least one squad for a multitude of reasons.

I couldn’t agree more about the anti Elite edition we’ve come to. Chaff is god like in the future of 40 k. I’d strongly consider one such unit.

As I became frustrated with the massive angle on Tzaangors in this edition, I came to realize how valuable they’ve been against some really salty units that can ruin your day.

Some people really like to stack anti Psyker stuff against Thousand Sons. This is where a cheap mini horde really pays off. I’ve always used Tzaangors this way. I’ve never been a fan of over doing it, but you might find yourself coming around to accepting that the army overall is so expensive that there is real value in at least one squad for a multitude of reasons.

I couldn’t agree more about the anti Elite edition we’ve come to. Chaff is god like in the future of 40 k. I’d strongly consider one such unit.

GW urge TSons players to buy a £27.5, webstore only, 10-men kit, for a horde unit. I think the strong attitude against Tzaangors may come from it. It has some feeling about "pay to win".

To build a unit of 30 tzaangors, could cost a player more than a Knight Castellan (In my country, usually players need to pay 25% more for any webstore exclusive items, due to lack of any discount. How are things going in NorthAmerica?). That's ridiculus. Someone could debate that Knight Castellan is also about "pay to win", but at least it does very well at the "to win" part.

GW urge TSons players to buy a £27.5, webstore only, 10-men kit, for a horde unit. I think the strong attitude against Tzaangors may come from it. It has some feeling about "pay to win".

Well you can buy the AoS Tzaangors which only lack the pistol and chainsword bits, but who wants those anyways?

Well you can buy the AoS Tzaangors which only lack the pistol and chainsword bits, but who wants those anyways?

Plus theyre usable for AoS. Fantasy beastmen work on the cheap

FWIW (not much to most people on these forums), in North America, you can get 30 tzaangors for 95.40 USD at a store near me. There’s a number of hobby shops in Michigan that give a discount on GW goods, the most being a whopping 25%. They get most of my business...

Archived