thoughts on lightning?

noigrim

I'm thinking of selling my lightning fighter, IMO it's a trash tier unit that only does stuff the turn it arrives, and way overcosted for what it does.

It's a nice centerpiece model, and whenever they update FW again it may well be viable again. Also, FW has a tendancy to quit making specific models with little to no warning, so replacing it later may not be easy.

Unless you need the cash I'd hold onto it. Like shandwen said its a good centre piece and they might adjust the rules / cost in CA. Plus you can always use it in friendly matches.

I have one I need to build

I took two lightning's to Adepticon, they both came off rather well (I went 2/2/0), but I basically built the list around air power, and took it in an Elysian Air Wing Detachment so that I could deepstrike it, thus keeping it protected on Turn 1 (Adepticon had ruled that Flyers deepstriking were considered to have moved their full distance). The Lightnings were very durable thanks to their -1 to hit, though against the Dark Reaper LVO list, which were the armies I faced in my two losses, the lack of Hard To Hit and firing into a -1 hurt them badly.

The Lightning can and will work but not at the highest competative levels, and you have to know exactly what your plan is using it going into the match. A Lightning will not make their poitns back if attacked to a normal static tank gunline guard, they need a lot of pieces to fit together in order to be viable. If you're not willing to do that, you're not going to find a use for the Lightning.

With that said, I wouldn't sell the Lightning if I were you. Chapter Approved might reverse some of the moronic changes to her hull and weapon costs, and if/when we get Imperial Armor: Aeronautica Imperialis or a Guard Codex focused on air power (My forever hoped for Codex: Harakoni Warhawks), things could change rapidly.

Archived