HH 51 - Slaves to Darkness

I think the Shattered Legions featured heavily because Isstvan and its immediate aftermath got a disproportionate amount of time; the series was slow back during the early Heresy and then rushed through the mid/late period. The problem is a lot of their stories were only so-so. We probably wouldn’t complain if Wraight had written entire novels about Henricos and Xaven.

Anyway, I only recently read Slaves to Darkness. I thought it was gripping enough while reading it, but it’s not staying with me now that I’m done. I would’ve liked the author to linger more on the main non-primarch characters at the end - how have they changed their legions? How do their brothers see them now? Malhogurst, especially.

I’m still not comfortable with Horus’s story arc in Wolfbane and Slaves to Darkness. Maybe I just missed something; did the doubt instilled in him by the Emperor’s spear make Horus think he had to prove that he was in charge of the realm of Chaos? I wasn’t clear on how or why that fight started, nor on what brought it to a conclusion.

It didn’t leave a great impression of the Traitors as an army. I guess that’s the point; Horus wouldn’t be in a hurry to take Terra if he was in a position of strength. I was just surprised to see how quickly things had turned around. I must’ve thought Calth was worse for the Ultramarines than it actually was.

I think the take away from the whole calth/ruinstorm plot was that the word bearers were supposed to cripple the ultramarines at calth and take out their leadership, then isolate the remainder and crush them with the world eaters. But they failed, catastrophically.

heyey killed a fair amount, but RG was still around with an intact enough force, and was able to respond to the shadow crusade. Then he had the 500 worlds, the very stable geneseed, his logistics, and a number of years to mass recruit.

So basically, the word bearers crippled ultramars ship building and got angron to ascend

Malhogurst, especially.

I hate to break it to you...

I guess I would’ve liked to hear how his actions were perceived, and how much of it Horus was aware of and maybe even shared with the others.

i get ya. a little vindication perhaps...after he copped so much flak from the rest.

My take on Horus somewhere in the Warp was that the Gods worked the best aspect of his soul loose during that sojourn under Molech. Just think of how in PoH there's the narration telling us how much of Horus that was is gone.

i got the impression that "part" of horus had been fighting against chaos since davin. and molech and wolfsbane exacerbated the situation

Archived