HH 51 - Slaves to Darkness

It's a good read, with a very strong focus on just a few key themes. The nature of choice, of Chaos, of transformation.

As was said there's essentially three stands followed. We get to see new Primarch pairings interact in Lorgar/Fulgrim and Perturabo/Angron whilst the Sons of Horus and the Warmaster himself deal with internal angst.

The latter echoes back to the start of the series in a quite delibrate way.

In the end we're where we expect to be with the Traitor fleet and the expected participants (expected by me at least) 'on board' on the way to Terra.

@m_r_parker:

Question about...

...wounded Horus. Like some of my concerns heading into Wolfbane, the idea of an all-powerful-Horus-who-can-only-be-hurt-by-the-Emperor-because-he's-that-freakin'-powerful getting wounded by anyone or anything else still makes me scratch my head.

How believable/plausible/in-your-own-subjective-opinion-"good" is the explanation/reasoning for it?

...is it the same wound from Wolfbane?

Thanks.

@Indefragable - We do get a little focus on Horus in this book through the Sons (Mal and Ekaddon) and early in the book through Zardu Layak. I'm sticking to my pledge of no spoilers here, because this book is worth waiting for and reading unspoilt, but the story of Horus echoes the overall discussion within the novel - in treating with the Dark Gods are you better off pledging to an eternity of servitude to a single god (like some of the Primarchs / Legions / Characters) or refusing to become a slave and battling against damnation whilst also taking their boons?

What I will say is that this book puts Horus on the right track for Terra and his showdown with Big-E

i also pledge to the no spoilers approach

too many people formed opinions about wolfsbane without even reading the damn thing, thanks to the very early pre-release

This limited strategy of releasing mainline novels as event exclusives or limited editions first is a terrible idea.

Some would-be buyers just want to know what happens asap, and don’t feel the need to buy the book once they can get a summary from someone else. Others get turned off by the negative things they inevitably hear about it. And we can’t ignore piracy; without excusing it, you have to expect more of it when you put a book out there while keeping it difficult for most people to buy for a while. And above all, it throws off the timing of the conversations. Normally we’d still be talking about Wolfsbane because it’s been out just long enough for everyone to have read. But we had that conversation months ago (without most of us having read it) and now we’re talking about the next one.

All of what you say is true.

I think a drawback that is at least as big as how they could possibly "wrongfoot" discussion of a book is how copies then end up for sale by scalpers, and you're left debating whether or not you'll bite or not. All of this is encouraged by BL's tactic.

On the other hand, if I'm one of the people going to the events, these pre-releases would be one of the things I'd most look forward to and I'd definitely but the books there. It is definitely a plus for the event to have this and draw people in.

I for one will not be talking until the book has come out for general release and people have had the chance to read it unspoilt. It’s not long until it comes out, and it’s worth the wait as I’ve said before.

There’s plenty I want to talk about on this one, there’s a couple of intentional loose ends and some parts where it’s up to the reader as to what exactly happened, and I want to discuss them here. Just not yet.

I for one will not be talking until the book has come out for general release and people have had the chance to read it unspoilt. It’s not long until it comes out, and it’s worth the wait as I’ve said before.

There’s plenty I want to talk about on this one, there’s a couple of intentional loose ends and some parts where it’s up to the reader as to what exactly happened, and I want to discuss them here. Just not yet.

Ugh. Sounds exactly like my least favourite thing in the entire Heresy. The way BL does ambiguity frustrates me to no end.

Probably will read it anyway. Stupid sunk cost fallacy...

I like both ADB and French, but for dramatically different reasons.

Ironically, what I consider to weaker sides of one, are the stronger sides of the other. If we could somehow combine them into one person, I think they would be the perfect 40k author.

So you’re suggesting they should have a child together and then offer it to the Black Library Gods? I’m game!

We talk, quite a lot, about writing something together. I hope we get around to it.

When authors write together is it like dueling pianos or DND role playing? Genuinely curious.

How I imagine the heresy meetings to go:

Nick Kyme: I'm writing something for the salamanders, Aaron when can we expect the final battle to be done?

ADB: in four score and twenty years....

NK: OK we might have to get Dan to do that, Gav?

GT sat brooding in a corner "loyalty is it's own Nevermore...

Graham sings my Sharona with the chorus changed to My Nykona

David Annandale: I get to write warhammer horror? Yaaaaay

John French is surrounded by explosions and tank noises, causing James swallow to flee

David guymer sits admist a pile of already completed novels for the year

Chris Wraight is zooming around the table on a push bike

Dan Abnett: I am Alpharius.

Archived