HH 52: Heralds of the Siege

Black Library Live is going on and Track of Words is doing some live coverage via Twitter (thanks for that!). They just showed Heralds of the Siege, a Horus Heresy anthology, with cover (featuring Dorn!)

https://twitter.com/track_of_words/status/1008007138977964032

The blurb:

"The Warmaster Horus has triumphed. His massive fleet at last nears Terra and the patriarchal Throne of his hated father...

Includex SIXTEEN stories set during the Horus Heresy, some of which are in print for the first time or were originally released as audio dramas, by authors Gav Thorpe, Chris Wraight, John French, James Swallow, Guy Haley, Nick Kyme, Rob Sanders and Anthony Reynolds"

So, since they list no "and more" for the authors, it is safe to assume that no others are involved. I think we can piece together what's included here already, at least in part. Tymell's release list helps a lot here.

I think we can assume that these sixteen will be included, bar new releases coming very soon.

1. Exocytosis by James Swallow (leads into the Death Guard novel, fits the timeline, only Swallow story currently unaccounted for)
  2. Myriad by Rob Sanders (Wasn't included in Burden of Loyalty, sequel to Cybernetica, set on Mars, will likely play a role in the Sol war)
  3. Children of Sicarus by Anthony Reynolds (Audio Drama, only Anthony Reynolds work unaccounted for)
  4. The Soul, Severed by Chris Wraight (Emperor's Children audio drama, right before the push for Terra)
  5. Magisterium by Chris Wraight
  6. Now Peals Midnight by John French
  7. Duty Waits by Guy Haley
  8. The Board is Set by Gav Thorpe
  9. Restorer by Chris Wraight (Scars pre/into-Siege)
  10. The Grey Raven by Gav Thorpe (Knights Errant, sequel to Corax)
  11. Dark Compliance by John French (previously audio drama, sets things up for Slaves to Darkness with Argonis and all, relevant pre-Siege)
  12. Dreams of Unity by Nick Kyme (Thunder Warriors on Terra, pre-Siege)
  13. The Ember Wolves by Rob Sanders
  14. Valerius by Gav Thorpe
  15. The Painted Count by Guy Haley
  16. Blackshield by Chris Wraight

We can also wholesale discount the Primarchs content (from Sons of the Emperor, the three audio dramas and Grandfather's Gift, sadly including Malcador's audio drama, although it deserves to be here)

Neither of the two Josh Reynolds Blackshields audio dramas will be included (he's not listed)

I would definitely agree on that front. Some very strong stuff (though also a few I didn't read yet, like Ember Wolves). Wish that Malcador was included, since it seems like it'd fit right in, but without Laurie as an author, that seems impossible.

The Soul, Severed will suffer from not having audio to support it, I'd imagine, though.

Warhammer Community shared a bunch of cover art from today's reveals:

BLComingSoonSeminar_HeraldsoftheSiegeArt

Always excited for new collections. I've heard the advent pre-siege stuff is mostly gold and I haven't read most of these. Frankly, the tying up of loose ends gives me just as much hype as a potentially new release.

I think we can assume that these sixteen will be included, bar new releases coming very soon.

1. Exocytosis by James Swallow (leads into the Death Guard novel, fits the timeline, only Swallow story currently unaccounted for)
  2. Myriad by Rob Sanders (Wasn't included in Burden of Loyalty, sequel to Cybernetica, set on Mars, will likely play a role in the Sol war)
  3. Children of Sicarus by Anthony Reynolds (Audio Drama, only Anthony Reynolds work unaccounted for)
  4. The Soul, Severed by Chris Wraight (Emperor's Children audio drama, right before the push for Terra)
  5. Magisterium by Chris Wraight
  6. Now Peals Midnight by John French
  7. Duty Waits by Guy Haley
  8. The Board is Set by Gav Thorpe
  9. Restorer by Chris Wraight (Scars pre/into-Siege)
  10. The Grey Raven by Gav Thorpe (Knights Errant, sequel to Corax)
  11. Dark Compliance by John French (previously audio drama, sets things up for Slaves to Darkness with Argonis and all, relevant pre-Siege)
  12. Dreams of Unity by Nick Kyme (Thunder Warriors on Terra, pre-Siege)
  13. The Ember Wolves by Rob Sanders
  14. Valerius by Gav Thorpe
  15. The Painted Count by Guy Haley
  16. Blackshield by Chris Wraight

We can also wholesale discount the Primarchs content (from Sons of the Emperor, the three audio dramas and Grandfather's Gift, sadly including Malcador's audio drama, although it deserves to be here)

Neither of the two Josh Reynolds Blackshields audio dramas will be included (he's not listed)

Great list DC, I came to much the same list looking at the authors listed and stories still missing. Though we have The Last Son of Prospero still outstanding (also The Atonement of Fire, but that's by Annandale, who isn't listed), so presumably either that or one of those others isn't in? I'm not sure which though, none of those 17 jump out at me as "meant for something else"...

The authors listed (or more specifically those not listed) also makes me further believe there's going to be a Primarchs-specific anthology at some point. Once we take out those ones above, that's almost all that's left.

Can we assume HeritorA, wherever he may roam, is gnashing his teeth at another numbered anthology :D

The advent short stories were excellent, as are a lot of the ones listed above, so will definitely be worth a read

Oh, I thought The Last Son of Prospero was listed! That was one of the first two I thought I had put down. Oops.

Well, which are we taking out of the list? I'd probably remove Blackshield, because it seems the most unrelated to anything going on right now

Oh, I thought The Last Son of Prospero was listed! That was one of the first two I thought I had put down. Oops.

Well, which are we taking out of the list? I'd probably remove Blackshield, because it seems the most unrelated to anything going on right now

Maybe it's going to be put together with Josh Reynolds' Blackshields stories later on? They're focused on different groups, but I guess they've put stories together on tenuous links before.

So, awesome cover art and a very strong table of contents.

When would this be released? Doom of the Death Guard seems set for October( penultimate novel), we know the August release ( Slaves) and December ( Titandeath).

This for me is the big question. I had been waiting for a collection that had all the advent shorts.

It feels that way to me as well based on the fact that this cover was announced and Doom of the Death Guard wasn't.

According to Track of Words we will be informed about this novel "this summer". On the other hand it was specifically mentioned to be the penultimate pre-siege book as late as this year's Horus Heresy Weekender in Feb. AND the German paperback release is scheduled for March 2019 which is as always 5/6 months after the hardcover. So all the signs said Doom of the Death Guard in October, but is that still on?

We will know once the coming soon section updates in a week or two I guess.

I'm still tired from yesterday and only two coffees in to my morning so totally happy to be challenged on this but I think the coming soon was for the next 12 months. The only confirmed book releases were Visions of Heresy and Titan Death which are December 2018.

Doom of the Death guard I think is on going but here is where I'm hazy. It was a question asked of the editors and I think they said Swallow was working on it but that is the extent to my recollection.

I think it might be the new Archamus from Praetorian of Dorn? Or Demetrius Katafalque, I think he was mentioned in one of the short stories.

Not sure who the army general on the left is.

My guess would be it's Admiral Niora Su-Kassen from "Now Peals Midnight".

I'm still tired from yesterday and only two coffees in to my morning so totally happy to be challenged on this but I think the coming soon was for the next 12 months. The only confirmed book releases were Visions of Heresy and Titan Death which are December 2018.

Doom of the Death guard I think is on going but here is where I'm hazy. It was a question asked of the editors and I think they said Swallow was working on it but that is the extent to my recollection.

If Swallow is still working on it, it's not going to be the October release and so probably Heralds will take its slot.

Yawn, wake me when they talk about something new.  Bl needs to institute some kind of rewards system for buying the same piece of work multiple times, god knows they try to sell me them often enough. 

At least we get some artwork.

some people don't buy the shorts though and prefer these anthologies

every story, every format, eventually and all that

If there was a wave emoji I would use it but hey... That's me! Never buy individual shorts and always wait for the anthologies.

Personally I think BL should not have included anthologies in the numbered series to avoid the noise and controversy. However, I buy them as a great way to collect it all together (especially appreciate the thematic linkages etc).

I think their inclusion in the numbered series is necessary, because a lot of the stories are integral to the wider series. You can discount many as side chapters you don't have to read, but there are plenty that prepare for upcoming novels, bridge gaps or elaborate on what just happened.

For example, Eristede Kell, for all we knew, died or escaped at the end of Nemesis. If it wasn't for one short story, where he swears allegiance to Horus Lupercal, we'd be pretty puzzled why the guy is suddenly after Euphrati Keeler and comes to blows with Nathaniel Garro. Or we'd be missing out on most of the Thramas Crusade. Little Horus would still be wearing his face properly, Barabas Dantioch would be a surprise guest in the Imperium Secundus arc instead of somebody we'd have seen introduced in Age of Darkness, alongside other Imperium Secundus set-up stories. We wouldn't have seen Corax escape from Isstvan V, seen the Painted Count introduced prior to Pharos, in a story that made the situation of the Night Lords clearer than anything has in a dozen books before then.

And that's not even touching on the novellas.

With Heralds of the Siege, we have a bunch of stories that prepare the ground for the entire upcoming final arc. Stuff that's integral to understanding the situation on the Throneworld. Stories that elaborate on the traitor forces' dispositions. Stories that drive characters into their final outings in the series, stories that add more than a little depth to the entire finale. To think these don't belong in the main series and can instead be taken out and sidelined for those few curious people who care enough to be bothered, seems like a big mistake to me.

I agree with DC that the numbered anthologies are necessary, and also, even for those who feel otherwise, I think the issue is more with past BL practices than the inherent concept. After all, I don't think anyone complained when Tales of Heresy, Age of Darkness et al. were released. Back then an anthology was still at least mostly original content. Then BL entered that period with greater emphasis on e-shorts and limited edition novellas rather than full books or anthologies. And this now means we need lots of anthologies to collect all of that together. We do still get individual shorts released, but less than we were getting a few years ago (most of it now being either advent shorts or audio dramas, which I think are understandable as something separate to be collected in print later).

Re numbered anthologies, personally I couldn't care less because I do not buy individual shorts, rarely buy audiodramas and never ever buy the novellas. So I NEED the anthologies to catch up and appreciate them collected for ease of use.

I just meant that it seems to REALLY NARK some folks who complain they are buying things again. A way around that would be to not number the anthologies so that collectors do not feel they MUST buy every book to keep their collection neat and tidy in numbered order.

Archived