The 'Old' Black Legion Rumour

Prot

I'm not sure how to put this, because I can't even be certain of where I read it, but somewhere on the BnC there was a rumour thread. And in it I recall a 'source' that was cited as being very accurate had said that Black Legion was coming out with their own book, and if I can recall, Abaddon was being redone.

Did anything come of this? Did anything more get confirmed, or denied?

I remember this from a few months back so maybe someone else saw it, but I was really, really hoping this was going to come to fruition by now. Any one know anything about this?

Nah, by the timeline in Nihm's link, it wouldn't have been official yet. 

They just announced Orks, SW, and GC as the next 3 codexes a couple weeks ago, and the rumored box & revamp wasn't going to come until after all the codexi were out. 

So based on GW's announcement pattern, If it's going to come this year, it'll be announced around the time the third of those 3 codexes is released. In fact, if SW is the last one, a transition from that into a SW vs CSM campaign would be a smooth way to bring in the Fall release. 

Nah, by the timeline in Nihm's link, it wouldn't have been official yet. 

They just announced Orks, SW, and GC as the next 3 codexes a couple weeks ago, and the rumored box & revamp wasn't going to come until after all the codexi were out. 

So based on GW's announcement pattern, If it's going to come this year, it'll be announced around the time the third of those 3 codexes is released. In fact, if SW is the last one, a transition from that into a SW vs CSM campaign would be a smooth way to bring in the Fall release. 

Could be like Forgebane.

Some new Chaos units in the box with rules for the first time (at the same time the SW codex is out), with a BL 'dex coming a little later.

Can't see them releasing a BL independent Dex now, doesn't seem feasible with the way the current codecies are. I imagine they'll release a seperate data sheet pack to bolt on with the new units etc.

Personally I'd love some new BL attention. As the main protagonists in Gathering Storm they were treated incredibly poorly by GW. But then GS was just a massive marketing campaign to sell Primaris and Guilliman lets face it! BL were never going to get love in the face of those two.

We shall see....more Chaos love of any kind is always appreciated but I'm currently a very content BL player anyway as our options and traits etc are strong. The tabletop experience of gaming BL at the moment is thoroughly enjoyable!

BCC

A Black Legion Codex would make sense once Khorne and Slaanesh get their own books, but not sure how a Black Legion and Chaos Marine codex would work until then.

A Black Legion codex does not make any sense, actually. They're the generic Chaos Marines, the base list so to speak. A supplement to the Chaos codex? Sure. New unit datasheets tacked on? Sure. But I don't see a separate codex for them. That would be like Ultramarines getting their own dex separate from the core SM dex.

The rumor is not so much a black legion codex, as it is a campaign book including the black legion that would bring with it an exclusive black legion unit of terminators, and new models for them and abaddon.  I'm not saying that the rumor is true, but that's well within the realm of believability.

A separate black legion codex seems hugely unlikely from where I'm sitting, but GW has made decisions that struck me as odd in the past.

I could imagine a supplement like in the past. A whole codex doesn't seem feasible.

Maybe new stratagems, relics, a unit entry like the Bringers of Despair, and maybe some special rules for units like making Chosen or Terminators a troop choice (like how a Berzerker is a troop choice for World Eaters and so on). I honestly cannot imagine much else. 

I agree that a Black Legion codex doesn’t work now, but maybe after a Khorne and Slaanesh codex comes out the ‘generic’ chaos marine codex becomes Black Legion?

Agree with Tokugawa on the BOLS angle.

Except that Black Legion had their own Codex in 6th and 7th editions. Which I own and greatly enjoyed.

If GW is updating Codexes from previous editions, I would hope to see Black Legion and Agents of the Imperium on the list. Inquisition are due.

There's never been an Emperor's Children Codex, and I'm fuzzy on what World Eaters had back in 2nd edition. They both had army lists from Realm of Chaos, but I seem to remember something from White Dwarf for World Eaters. Regardless, prioritizing those over BL / Inq would be an interesting choice.

I agree that a Black Legion codex doesn’t work now, but maybe after a Khorne and Slaanesh codex comes out the ‘generic’ chaos marine codex becomes Black Legion?

Agree with Tokugawa on the BOLS angle.

Except that Black Legion had their own Codex in 6th and 7th editions. Which I own and greatly enjoyed.

If GW is updating Codexes from previous editions, I would hope to see Black Legion and Agents of the Imperium on the list. Inquisition are due.

There's never been an Emperor's Children Codex, and I'm fuzzy on what World Eaters had back in 2nd edition. They both had army lists from Realm of Chaos, but I seem to remember something from White Dwarf for World Eaters. Regardless, prioritizing those over BL / Inq would be an interesting choice.

Except that Black Legion never had their own Codex. It was a Codex Chaos Space Marines supplement. Something that's a lot less needed now that there are subfactions not just for loyalist Marines. However it's of course still entirely possible to happen eventually but that's not just limited to Black Legion.

Also EC never had their own Codex, however that's true for TSons and DG as well which just got their own Codex so it's extremely likely for GW to go the whole way and do the same for EC and WE as well to have all the four cult legions with their own Codex. Something that can't be said for Black Legion.

an exclusive black legion unit of terminators, and new models for them

I think you mean, 'Kit that will be cannibalised by Chaos players the world over because the current Terminator kit is from an unfortunate era where many kits are of just good enough quality to not warrant a high-priority overhaul but have been massively overshadowed by recent plastic kits'.

an exclusive black legion unit of terminators, and new models for them

I think you mean, 'Kit that will be cannibalised by Chaos players the world over because the current Terminator kit is from an unfortunate era where many kits are of just good enough quality to not warrant a high-priority overhaul but have been massively overshadowed by recent plastic kits'.

That's pretty much the main reason why I believe any generic CSM release will come only after EC and WE or else EC and WE player will jump on the new generic kits to convert them to Noise Marines and Berzerker and they'd lose out on EC and WE sales once they get to them. ^^

I loved Traitors Hate, the Black Legion supplement, and the Legions book of late 7th.

That said, given the structure of the current Codex I highly doubt we will get a new supplement when GW has just straight up made data sheets for units and either given them out or put them in White Dwarf.

I can see a campaign supplement of some type with a few data sheets thrown in that are Black Legion specific. i.e. Bringers of Despair

*plus anything from BoLS makes jam a salt shaker in each ear... repeadtly

I hope Black Legion doesn't get a dex. They honestly don't need one. The CSM dex works great for them. They are the Ultramarines of Chaos. I love them. 

World Eaters(Khorne), Emperor's Children(Slaanesh), and Sons of Malice (Malice) should get codexes. Yes. I said it. The damned Sons of Malal(Malice) should get their own codex. No one is going to shift my opinion on this matter lol!

Chaos with assault cannons, Razorbacks, and thunder hammers oh my!

What?!? You can't give Chaos good equipment... The good-boys wouldn't stand a chance.... But they need to do this. Especially for Renegades. I mean... they don't just chuck all of that new equipment when they wake up and realize the Emperor isn't their savior.

What?!? You can't give Chaos good equipment... The good-boys wouldn't stand a chance.... But they need to do this. Especially for Renegades. I mean... they don't just chuck all of that new equipment when they wake up and realize the Emperor isn't their savior.

It's okay, give them worse armor and most of the equipment in slightly worse but cheaper to represent they not having proper support from either side yet and why they're likely going to convert fully to chaos over time. :P

According to the second edition book, they ditch that stuff because its hard to maintain, though that book did let you take loyalist equipment at a price hike.

Apparently assault cannon barrels have to be thrown away at the end of every battle because they wear out too quickly. But that was from before Forgeworld retconned metal fatigue out from the 40k universe.

Back in 2nd you could give Chaos Space Marines Loyalist equipment but there was a 25% increase in the points cost. I still see this as a viable solution (depending on the equipment). 

Archived