Obliterators Mark/Legion Question

Slothysaur

So Chaos has much more confusing Keyword options than I'm used to and I have a few questions about incorporating Obliterators into my DG force.

1). Is it possible to have Mark of Tzeentch and Legion Death Guard Oblits in a Codex: DG detachment?

2). Would I have to have a separate CSM detachment to have access to the CSM Stratagems or is having Oblits in a Codex: DG detachment enough?

3). Am I missing any vital information that makes the idea of adding Oblits to my DG force a crazy idea?

I don't have the CSM codex to check a fair chunk of information involving this idea and my hobby budget is rather thin these days; so I need to find out if the investment into another codex and a fairly pricey unit worth it over other DG goodies. 

Easy awnser, Oblit are not in the DG codex, thus you may never have them as part of your Deathguard detachment.

This mean you must have a C:CSM detachment in addition which will in turn open all relevant stratagem.

I run 2 units of Oblits in a Nurgle CSM detachment. I'd use 3 if I could afford them. They're pretty good. My other detachments are Nurgle Daemons and DG. As everything is Nurgle Daemons the synergy is quite decent. Check my tournament blog for more info.

Just to make things clear, there is nothing stopping you from running a detachment with DG and Oblits in it, they share the Heretic Astartes, Nurgle keywords but you would lose all the bonuses you get from being a Battle Forged DG detachment (so you'd lose obsec on troops, inexorable advance, etc.

Nurgle Oblits are really good with the space tree so that is also something to take on board.

I run 2 units of Oblits in a Nurgle CSM detachment. I'd use 3 if I could afford them. They're pretty good. My other detachments are Nurgle Daemons and DG. As everything is Nurgle Daemons the synergy is quite decent. Check my tournament blog for more info.

Just to make things clear, there is nothing stopping you from running a detachment with DG and Oblits in it, they share the Heretic Astartes, Nurgle keywords but you would lose all the bonuses you get from being a Battle Forged DG detachment (so you'd lose obsec on troops, inexorable advance, etc.

Nurgle Oblits are really good with the space tree so that is also something to take on board.

I actually found your thread earlier today in between exams, I was going to ask there but you seem to have found me! Luckily for me nothing I use benefits from Inexorable Advance and Obsec hasn't been a key player for me (yet). I'm excited to see that I can use them without going too far down the C:CSM rabbit hole; they're very cool models and yours are exceptional.

I've been going through the FAQs, wow there are a lot, and I'm having trouble finding the FAQ that deals with unlocking stratagems. Would having the Oblits in the detachment be enough to unlock the C:CSM stratagem that allows them to fire twice or will that require a separate detachment? I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the stratagem and don't own that codex (yet).

I've been going through the FAQs, wow there are a lot, and I'm having trouble finding the FAQ that deals with unlocking stratagems. Would having the Oblits in the detachment be enough to unlock the C:CSM stratagem that allows them to fire twice or will that require a separate detachment? I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the stratagem and don't own that codex (yet).

Stratagems work the same way as any other faction specific rule (like legion traits etc). You need a C:CSM detachment to unlock C:CSM Stratagems. Putting Obliterators into a Deathguard detachment turns it into a mixed Heretic Astartes detachment which doesn't give you access to anything faction specific from either book.

Archived