Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First Tau list, 2000 points, requesting comments/feedback

Sacea Tau

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

templargdt

templargdt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,175 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens, Black Templars

Hey gents.  My first 40K army was actually Tau, when I picked up the hobby when 5th edition dropped in 2008.  I haven't touched them in 8 years or so, so I decided to strip the models of their horrible paint job and start fresh.  Here is my draft 1st list for comments and criticism; I have no idea what is really good these days.  I read the codex and did a bit of research, but that's it. 

Caveats: I have no Enforcer or Coldstar, and am not planning on grabbing any.  I have 5 additional XV-8s, 2 Devilfish, 2 Hammerheads, 4 additional pathfinders, 3 Pathfinders with Rail Rifles, 2 Broadsides with Missiles and a huge pile of drones I can build.  I can swap weapons and systems.

Tau Empire List, Battleforged, 13 CPs

Tau Battalion, Sacea Sept
HQ
Commander in XV-8 with 2 Missle Pods, Burst Cannon, Drone Controller

Warlord trait: Beacon of Honor

Relic: Puretide Chip

Etheral with Honor Blade

Cadre Fireblade with Pulse rifle, Marker light

Troops

10 Fire Warrior Strike Team, Marker Light

10 Kroot

Elites

3 Stealth Suits with Burst Cannons

3 Stealth Suits with Burst Cannons
Firesight Marksman with Markerlight, Pulse Pistol

Tau Battalion, Sacea Sept
HQ
Commander in XV-8 with 3 Missle Pods, Advanced Targeting System

Cadre Fireblade with Pulse rifle, Marker light

Troops

10 Kroot

Elites

Ghostkeel with 2 Stealth Drones, Ion Raker, 2 Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, Advanced Targeting Sytem

Riptide with Ion Accelerator, 2 Smart Missile Systems, Target Lock, Early Warning Over ride

Riptide with Ion Accelerator, 2 Smart Missile Systems, Target Lock, Early Warning Over ride

Fast Attack

6 Marker Drones with Marker Lights

6 Marker Drones with Marker Lights

6 Pathfinders with Pulse Carbines, Marker Lights

Overall game plan is for the stealth suits to deploy first, infiltrate onto the midboard to deny space to the opponent and advance up the kroot squads before game start to do the same.  Castle up the Markerlight units in cover near the Warlord with the drone controller with the marker drones.  Deploy Strike teams on my objectives in cover, and advance up the board with the rest, shooting up units as they advance.  Keep the Strike Teams in support range of the etheral and fireblades as they move up the table.  

I plan on liberal use of the Sacea orbital marker light stratagem as my initial marker light, and then use the character markerlights with the Sacea reroll bonus if needed.  Pile on 5+ marker lights to 2 units per turn and smoke them.

Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

templargdt

templargdt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,175 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens, Black Templars

Honestly would like any feedback, even "this list is bad and you should feel bad."

Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Commander_Yandere

Commander_Yandere

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts

hi, sorry for the late answer but here are a few suggestions:

1.) Sept Choice:
I know Sacea Sept is great with there +1 to Leadership in combination with your makerlight plan,
But other Septs can be fare better suited for an mainly invantery army like this:

BOR'KAN  (or Bro'kan happy.png) for example are awesome for your firewarriors: +6 Range? NICE, +3 Rapid fire Range double nice with our good friend Fireblade, You can put some ice on the cake if you put a few accelerator drones with your Pathfinder near it for sweet 42 inch range Pulse Rifle = 21 inch Rapidfire! 10 Firewarrior with fireblade build a nice 30 shoot bubble, not bad i think

2.) Army building/detachments:

you use 2 Bat to get 10 points, not bad but the 6 Elite choices + 3 Fast attack? hell no, put them in there own detachments, fill the bat with cheap commander (ethereal, darkstrider (very usefull too) and of course fireblade) for command point farming,
but put commander in the other detachments and build a vanguard for the riptides and the ghostkheel, and a outrider for the fast attack, (be carefull with sept choices so your pathfinder drones can buff your firewarrior!)

3.) Units:

HQ: Commander
Dont waste drone controller on your commander, he hits much better than anything else in your amry so dont fill his support slots with this, its better fit on a stealth suit / ghostkheel if you need one

I prefer coldstar commander with 3 fusion + shield gen for a flying death machine with 20 inch mov,

his burst canon is far better than the normal one so consider that,

(plasma commander with bor'kan is quit a nice combo too, but the bor'kan relic is kinda meh)

the warlord pick is up to you, but a more offensive trait is usefull in 8th, like the "hunter" one or the "exemplar of" your firewarrior have a nice leadership with their 7 + Bounding Ritual so they won't run this fast happy.png

Put the relic on one of your HQ in the back, they surrive longer

Commander are your butter and bread: try to have 3 of them 1 in every detachment, they are by far the best t'au unit

Troops:

Firewarrior: Your Strike Teams are Ok, most ppl build lists with 5-7 Firewarrior for CP farming but 7 Points for 1 Firewarrior is not that much if you build synergy effects

kroot: meat shield, nothing else in 8th edition so they are ok.

Elites:

Stealth Suits, Great little buggers, shooty and hard to hit, put a drone controller in (and perhabs a few marker drones to boost their chance of surrival a little), the fusion blaster can be worth its price on them

firesight marksman: i dont hear much about him, but if you put a few sniper drones with him...... deadly happy.png

Riptides:

They are the center of your army, and they are good, the burst canon is better to mow down light vehicles or heavy infantery and its great cost wise, i run 1 burst and 1 accelerator, but if you face knights often, use the acc.
the support systems are okaysh, the target lock = must have, the over ride not so much, i prefer velocity tracker because most of the enemy stuff has the fly keyword in 8th Edition,
mutli tracker = not usefull you never shoot the same target with your missles and the main gun,
advanced targed = can be usefull on the small things and buffs the burst canon.....
drone controller = waste dont use it

counterfire defense = not bad but better choices

secondary weapon: depends hardly on playstyle so Missles are ok

Ghost Kheel:

Great Thing, Hard to hit.... the main wepon, i dont know, both are not really good but i prefer the fusion collider,
the secondary weapon is a matter of taste, burst are funny but, fusion can kill tanks and flamer are hot in overwatch......

support system:
shield gen is great,
ats = ok,

Game Plan:
Not bad, but the commander castle can backfire very fast: Drones are fairly weak if your opponent aim for them (with normal or heavy bolter for example) and they die fast even form troop fire+ with your high unit count it will not be easy to get the first turn, so the experienced enemy will kill most likely a big part of your protection units before you can even use them,

the markerlight orbit is nice, but 2 CP for that? its not that great i think, cadre fireblade marks on a everything exept a 1 and you can reroll him with 1 CP if you really need it, ok only 36 range but if you want to marker it with anything else it has to be in the same distance, (hey with Bor'kan its 42.....) so you have to think which one do you want to use, the 1 sure Markerlight for 2 CP to more range for most of your units or always cover........ or other things from other septs.
the "strom the middle" part is ok, most tau player prefer castles than mont'ka the enemy and storm them,

Edited by Commander_Yandere, 10 July 2018 - 12:10 PM.

Marshlands

Marshlands

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 360 posts
I would strongly consider velocity trackers if you expect to fight much that can fly.

As has been said your list suits borkan, or tau sept.

If you have them the HBC is better than ion accelerator. With 2 riptides i would suggest more drones, particularly shield and try to hide the drones but keep them within 3" of the riptides. Its fairly easy to convert technical drones and aside from filling out vanguard detachments theyre useful for repairing the wounds riptides lose through nova charge.

Theres no real benefit to big units of fire warriors unless you a) use tau and darkstriders buff or B) viorla and the shoot twice stratagems. Small units are better for morale and board control options. If yoy have the characters they also up detachment size fairly well, otherwise fire warriors are one of our best units right now.

Big units of crisis suits with a cheap commander can be powerful with command and control node, particularly with CIBs and FSE faction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sacea, Tau

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users