Unit of the Week: Hellblaster Squad

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Hellblaster Squad
sml_gallery_62972_11847_627574.jpg
Hellblasters, Spagunk

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Hellblaster Squad?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Combat Squads?
  • Footslog or transport?
  • How are you buffing this unit?
  • What weapon choice do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

A Captain for rerolling 1s so you can overcharge in relative safety is essential. An Ancient is good so that if a model dies (either to enemy shooting or your own overheats) you can shoot again on a 4+. Give the Ancient the Standard of Sacrifice and the squad gets a 5+++ save making them a lot more durable, even against 2D attacks. Add a Sanguinary Novitiate and you can patch up wounded models and resurrect fallen models on a 4+ (Corbs is better but more expensive). You can even add a Librarian with Shield of Sanguinius. This is an expensive blob but very effective. You don't need all the Characters as only the Captain is essential. You can add more characters or remove them as the points allow.

For extra protection, consider putting the Hellblasters in a Repulsor so they cannot be alphaed off the board before they get to shoot. I would take a full sized squad of 10 and the characters can shelter behind the Repulsor. The Repulsor has a lot of guns too and so will also benefit nicely from the Captain's rerolls.

I like the regular Rapid Fire variant of the Hellblasters as I think it is the most effective. The Assault version lacks the punch to threaten heavy targets, even when overcharging while the Heavy version just makes the squad too static (that is what Devastators are for). Hellblasters are at their best when moving up to get those double-tapped S8 shots at 15" range.

I`ve been pretty much doing what Karhedronuk has suggested :) Captain, Lieutenant, Noviate, ancient with relic banner and 10 man Rapid Fire Hellblaster squad :happy.: That combo is regularly deleting flyers I`m coming up against and any troop transports they can take a pop at :biggrin.: 

Pretty straight forward unit. Lots of range and lots of damage output against armored targets. Support them how you feel comfortable with a Captain for re-rolling 1s, banner of sacrifice ancient for protection and/or a repulsor to protect against alpha strikes.

I personally would never ever go with the assault variant for two reasons. You sacrifice the valuable S8 and shouldn't advance&shoot with plasma anyway so the only benefit here is 2 shots per model at max range.

S8 and Rapid Fire or S9 and longer reach are much more valuable.

They were really good for me when I started out with the Dark Imperium box. They are still good units, but tend to get targeted pretty quickly. I prefer the rapid fire version. If they assault versions were the same cost, I could see a use for them as mid-range, heavy infantry killers, but the extra points aren't worth it for a lower strength.

• 6 months later...

Question, on the gw page for hellblasters it says you have the option to equip four of them with a plasma pistol on the other hand. Thats not a legal loadout right? It's just for looks and giggles. Only the sergeant can get a pistol on the offhand.

One sneaky thing is actually running a dreadnought alongside the repulsor.  Then use Wisdom of the Ancients for that captain's reroll, but you still have something that can fire and fight really well.  It's sneaky good, though you have to spend the command point.

One sneaky thing is actually running a dreadnought alongside the repulsor.  Then use Wisdom of the Ancients for that captain's reroll, but you still have something that can fire and fight really well.  It's sneaky good, though you have to spend the command point.

Wrong thread. ;)

Question, on the gw page for hellblasters it says you have the option to equip four of them with a plasma pistol on the other hand. Thats not a legal loadout right? It's just for looks and giggles. Only the sergeant can get a pistol on the offhand.

Yeah that's just GW being silly. You can only give the Sergeant a Plasma pistol.

I can see one Plasma pistol bit for the Sergeant and one Bolt pistol bit since every model comes with a Bolt pistol in the rules. Those sprues get doubled in the 10 man box so I guess that's how whoever wrote the description thought there are four Plasma pistol bitz lol

Archived