primarch fights - the good and the bad

b1soul

Agreed, the fight between Dorn and Alpharius is probably the best one so far, but, unlike Mr. mc warhammer, I was satisfied with the outcome; a dead traitor Primarch is always a good thing.  

The worse one is probably the fight between Curze and Lion + Guilliman, in the Unremembered book.

Lorgar/Angron vs Guilliman by ADB is probably the all time best. Great dialogue, great action. Other favourites would be Dorn vs Alpharius and Daemon-Fulgrim's curbstomping of Guilliman.

ADB's Lion vs Curze fight was also really well done: I thought it showcased the respective character of the two Primarchs perfectly.

I have to admit, I’m not one for a standard battle where it’s too much into the mechanics of the battle. Instead I much prefer a fight where it showcases the qualities of one or both of the participants.

Firstly, one of my favourites is Lorgar vs Daemon-possessed Fulgrim in Aurelian. For me this really hit home the change on Lorgar from the perceived weak priest pre-Heresy to the instrument of the Dark Gods post Istvvan V. The respect he gets from his brothers as he arrives into the council speaks volumes of his stature, but the fact that he can immediately detect that there’s a Daemon possessing Fulgrim and immediately starts to wail on him really shows his change. It’s admitably a short fight, and really one sided, but it leaves you in no doubt that you can’t underestimate Lorgar going forward. When he says that he’ll find a way to banish the Daemon and bring his brother back, I was in no doubt that he’d be able to.

Secondly, and one that I’ve been debating whether or not to include, is Lorgar vs Fulgrim in Slaves to Darkness. As I’ve stated before I’m not doing spoilers, but I will elaborate a little here. Lorgar is sent by Horus to summon Fulgrim and his Legion for the final push into the Sol system and onto Terra. Fulgrim, having ascended to daemonhood by this point, has no real desire to participate as he’s already achieved his ultimate reward. The debate between the two about power and servitude, and the will of the gods is fascinating until it quickly devolves into a fight which had me at “Wait ... WHAT?!?!”. It’s not much of a spoiler that Fulgrim eventually returns to the war, with the news that early in the Siege arc we’ll see Fulgrim take on the Khan, but never underestimate Lorgar and what he’ll do to see the will of the Dark Gods implemented.

For bad fights, one compatenant represented poorly does more harm for me than the actual action between the two. One that sticks in mind is Russ vs Horus in Wolfsbane, purely because of how badly Horus is represented when the two meet. He’s not grandiose, he doesn’t come across as either charming or threatening, he’s just corny. He swings mid conversation between “I will crush you and your puny Legion” to “all is forgiven if you join me!” so many times it made my head spin. The fight itself was pretty dire, but neither Primarch came off as believable in my eyes.

I'll add another voice to Dorn vs. Alpharius. I loved how Dorn was in that. No words, no banter, just years of anger and betrayal coming out in battle.

Lion vs. Russ in Russ' Primarchs book was also a highlight for me, it so nicely balanced the two sides of such a fight: it's two gods fighting, but at the same time it's two brothers, and it had just the right kind of visceral brutality for that.

I also loved Sanguinius and Curze in Pharos, though admittedly that was more about their words than their blows.

I can't think of many that struck me as outright bad, though Curze vs. Lion/Guilliman/Vulkan in Unremembered Empire went on far too long and got tiresome.

Lion versus Curze in "Savage Weapons." Best portrayal of the Lion yet. "Loyalty is its own reward."

ADB, please write more Dark Angels my man. Go old school with it, give us some Plainsworld Deathwing, or the Angels of Vigilance...vigilating angelicly. Dedicate a story to the illustrious Brother Bethod and his pimp-standard. Save us, Dembskiwan Bownobi, you're our only hope.

Fulgrim vs Ferrus is one of my favorite fights. Seeing Fulgrim fighting and killing his brother whilst daemon possessed and not even knowing it is just so sad.

Vulkan beating Curze into the ground will always be one of the most satisfying "fights" in Black Library.

Also, daemon Fulgrim stomping rawbutt girlyman was hilarious.

Lion vs. Russ

Lion vs. Curze (Savage Weapons, Prince of Crows, Unremembered Empire, Angels of Caliban)

Fulgrim vs. Ferrus

Fulgrim vs. Perturabo

Fulgrim vs. Guilliman

Khan vs. Mortarion

Russ vs. Magnus

Russ vs. Angron

Russ (Magical Spear) vs. Horus

Dorn vs. Alpharius (I don't count Dorn/Curze...was likely a sucker-punch)

Curze vs. Guilliman (Unremembered Empire)

Curze vs. Vulkan (Unremembered Empire, Vulkan Lives)

Curze vs. Sanguinius

I don't count Curze/Corax...that was smack-talk and wrist-wrestling

Sanguinius vs. Horus

Angron vs. Guilliman (Betrayer)

Guilliman vs. Lorgar (Betrayer)

Guilliman vs. Omegon?

Lorgar vs. Corax

EDIT: Guilliman (Sword of the Emperor) vs. Magnus

Short of the new Slaves to Darkness, which did I miss?

I'll try to give my opinion on how well each is handled over the weekend.

Lion vs. Russ

Lion vs. Curze (Savage Weapons, Prince of Crows, Unremembered Empire, Angels of Caliban)

Fulgrim vs. Ferrus

Fulgrim vs. Perturabo

Fulgrim vs. Guilliman

Khan vs. Mortarion

Russ vs. Magnus

Russ vs. Angron

Russ (Magical Spear) vs. Horus

Dorn vs. Alpharius (I don't count Dorn/Curze...was likely a sucker-punch)

Curze vs. Guilliman (Unremembered Empire)

Curze vs. Vulkan (Unremembered Empire, Vulkan Lives)

Curze vs. Sanguinius

I don't count Curze/Corax...that was smack-talk and wrist-wrestling

Sanguinius vs. Horus

Angron vs. Guilliman (Betrayer)

Guilliman vs. Lorgar (Betrayer)

Guilliman vs. Omegon?

Lorgar vs. Corax

EDIT: Guilliman (Sword of the Emperor) vs. Magnus

Short of the new Slaves to Darkness, which did I miss?

I'll try to give my opinion on how well each is handled over the weekend.

I don't know if matters to specify the 2v1's

Guilliman vs Angron + Lorgar (Betrayer)

Curze vs Guilliman + Lion (Unremembered Empire)

I also do find it interesting how Lion and Curze went 4 bouts. Realistically, I imagine that would happen more often than not.

Archived