CSM or Death Guard?

troile

I'm new to 40k, so this might be a stupid question :).

I already bought some death guard starter models, because I like the look of those plague marines.

But I still have to buy my codex. From what I see, there's the Death Guard Codex, but Plague Marines are also available in the CSM codex.

My first idea would be to start an undivided Chaos Space Marines army which could include stuff like Plague Marines and Rubric Marines?

But is that viable? Or is it better to go full death guard?

Space marines in general are so mid to low tier that what's 'viable' doesn't matter too much.

You can just have Plague marines in any non-Cult chaos army (Cult Legions are Emperor's Children and World Eaters in the Chaos Space Marines book and the two legions with their own books), but not the other Death Guard units.

Plague marines are best in a Death Guard army (while not actually being a popular choice in that army) but they're not the worst unit in the Chaos Marine book (which is probably Warp Talons). People don't generally take Plague Marines because as an elite choice they don't offer any real firepower and offense beats defense in 8th ed.

Rubric and Plague Marines is perfectly legal for a undivided army but isn't exactly fluffy since Slaanesh/Khorne and Tzeentch/Nurgle are the pairs that are supposed to hate each other. I met a guy at an event who had a fluffy undivided army that had 1 of every cult unit but he didn't win a single game.

ok thx for the info, guys :)

I don't plan on playing competitively anyway. 

Good point on the Tzeentch/Nurgle hate though, I completely forgot about that one.

Archived