Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1000 --> 2000 with Thousand Sons

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ierthling

ierthling

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 33 posts

Hey guys! Got a few helpful comments on my initial ideas for starting up with Thousand Sons, so I wanted to come back with some more particular lists. I'm trying to figure out ways to make a viable list that emphasizes sorcery and rubrics. Since I'm starting from scratch, I thought I would try to figure out a core 1000 list that could then build into a 2000 list. Here's my concept:

Shopping List: Ahriman, Daemon Prince, Rubric x20, Scarab Occult Terminators x5, Cultists x10

+++ 1k Sons 2k (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [58 PL, 1000pts] ++
+ HQ +
Ahriman [7 PL, 131pts]
Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 180pts]: Hellforged sword, Wings
+ Troops +
Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
  Cultist Champion: Autogun
Rubric Marines [14 PL, 225pts]: Icon of Flame
  Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol
  8x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 8x Inferno boltgun
  Rubric Marine w/ Soulreaper cannon: Soulreaper cannon
Rubric Marines [14 PL, 220pts]
  8x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 8x Inferno boltgun
+ Elites +
Scarab Occult Terminators [11 PL, 204pts]
  Scarab Occult Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Combi-bolter
  4x Terminator: 4x Inferno Combi-bolter, 4x Powersword
++ Total: [58 PL, 1000pts] ++

Shopping List: Exalted Sorcerers, Magnus, Another Cultists x30
Army List: more cultists for bigger units and they let me combine the 2 squads of Rubrics into the Ru-Brick, Sorcerers and Magnus become a Supreme Command for an extra CP and lots of sorcery, Ahriman gets to hop on his disc and Terminators get to add a missile rack:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [68 PL, 1170pts] ++
+ HQ +
Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]
Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 180pts]: Hellforged sword, Wings
+ Troops +
Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 80pts]: 19x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 80pts]: 19x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
Rubric Marines [27 PL, 438pts]: Icon of Flame
  17x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 17x Inferno boltgun
+ Elites +
Scarab Occult Terminators [11 PL, 226pts]: Hellfyre Missile Rack
  Scarab Occult Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Combi-bolter
  4x Terminator: 4x Inferno Combi-bolter, 4x Powersword
++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [45 PL, 828pts] ++
+ HQ +
Exalted Sorcerer [7 PL, 121pts]: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol
Exalted Sorcerer [7 PL, 121pts]: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol
Exalted Sorcerer on Disc of Tzeentch [8 PL, 141pts]: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol
+ Lord of War +
Magnus the Red [23 PL, 445pts]
++ Total: [113 PL, 1998pts] ++

What're y'all's thoughts about this idea? Will I struggle against armor, and if so, what would you swap out? I really like the idea of a sorcerous high command, and lots of rubrics, but would it be better to pair that down and add Helbrutes or some heavy support? Thanks guys!

Tokugawa

Tokugawa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 504 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Ahriman and TSons-DP are among the most cost effective psykers, not only in the Codex,but in the game.

And disc sorcerer is one of the worst. If you like to field a supereme command detachement, you should take more DPs.

anarchistscourge

anarchistscourge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 273 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Fists

I really like the look of your 2k list, its not massively competitive and may struggle vs armour. Although Magnus and the Daemon Prince can help, but will look awesome. Fluffy too. In regards to the Exalted on Disc there actually not bad, if you gave him 2 power swords (give him Seers Bane Relic) and a Plasma pistol you have a good character hunter. You can get the points for the pistol by taking out the Icon of Flame, its not likely to do much, maybe 1 mortal wound a whole game.

Is your plan to Glamour, Weaver and Prescience the Ru-Brick?

ierthling

ierthling

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 33 posts

And disc sorcerer is one of the worst. If you like to field a supereme command detachement, you should take more DPs.

Ultimately I'd like to! I really like the exalted sorcerer models, though, and since they're so much cheaper ($-wise), I thought I'd start there. I definitely see the superiority of the daemon prince, though!

I really like the look of your 2k list, its not massively competitive and may struggle vs armour. Although Magnus and the Daemon Prince can help, but will look awesome. Fluffy too.

Thanks! I'm not looking to jump right into tournaments or anything - I've played a lot of other miniatures games, some competitively, but I've always resisted 40k until now for various reasons. So yeah, I'm looking to make a list that is fluffy, cool, and won't automatically lose 100% of the time, but not necessarily a tournament competitive list.

As far as armour goes, I'm having a little trouble figuring out where the anti-tank options in TS are. Helbrute with lascannon? I tend to find predators and other standard tanks pretty boring, but is that the route people usually go do you think?

In regards to the Exalted on Disc there actually not bad, if you gave him 2 power swords (give him Seers Bane Relic) and a Plasma pistol you have a good character hunter. 

That's a cool idea! I was sort of just thinking the mobility would be useful for making sure there were plenty of people around to buff / help out Magnus and some deep-strikers (terminators and maybe the ru-brick), but I like the character hunter idea, I'll try that out.

Is your plan to Glamour, Weaver and Prescience the Ru-Brick?

Something like that, yeah, and possibly also using the stratagem to deep strike them. Does that make sense?

anarchistscourge

anarchistscourge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 273 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Fists
I would start them on the board and hide Ahriman and the 2 exalted sorcerers in there. Just March them up the board screening your characters as they get smites off. With glamour and Weaver on them they will be super sticky and with precience put out a good bit of damage.
With Magnus you can keep him back to buff all your units or Warptime him straight up the board (to kill armour).
Probalem with Magnus is that he’s a massive fire magnet and you have nothing else big and scary meaning without first turn he may got shot to bits. The DP could take dark matter crystal and potentially also charge first turn.

I also prefer the Helbrute with twin lascannons and middle launcher over predators. I am looking to get a mutalith vortex beast though. Helps with the Tzaangor unit (which you deep strike and tie up units

ierthling

ierthling

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 33 posts
Thanks anarchistscourge! I like the idea of screening the sorcerers with the rubric marines, although in that case maybe it’s not worth paying for discs. At any rate, I’ve been getting pretty excited about the renegade knight rules they put out the other day - may try a revised version of this with some knights chucked in! Stay tuned...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users