Which rules to use?

You want the Renegades and Heretics army list found in Imperial Armour Index: Forces of the Astra Militarum.

This list, like most indices, is pretty barebones, but it lets you take big guns, like Medusas and Leman Russ tanks (not all variants, though). You might as well stick with cultists for cheap and cheerful infantry, since the renegade militia are somehow even worse than cultists (and you Iron Warriors can make your cultists fearless, which is a pretty nifty party trick and better than the renegade's own methods of morale mitigation).

Renegade ogryn can be fun, too- they aren't as tough as their loyalist analogues, but they really hurt when they charge. Ideally they will be crammed into some sort of metal box.

This list, like most indices, is pretty barebones, but it lets you take big guns, like Medusas and Leman Russ tanks (not all variants, though). You might as well stick with cultists for cheap and cheerful infantry, since the renegade militia are somehow even worse than cultists (and you Iron Warriors can make your cultists fearless, which is a pretty nifty party trick and better than the renegade's own methods of morale mitigation).

Thanks for the reply! I would really like to add some Russes to my army. I could add a spearhead of renegade tanks and use cultists as troops. Then I would have just what I am after!

In a Matched Play game where you want to use R&H with your CSM, you need at least one Faction Keyword in common - in this case, it'd be CHAOS. In such games, you'll need to use the Renegades & Heretics list, which requires the Imperial Armour Index: Forces of the Astra Militarum book, as Azekai said. This book also references the Astra Militarum codex (as per the FAQ), so you will need that as well for your tanks.

If you want to use your renegades in an army by themselves or are not playing Matched Play, you can use the R&H list as above or you can use the Astra Militarum list. Whichever fits your style of play and/or your army's background better.

Archived