KDC’s Nurgle Affliction - Renegade Militia conversions

@ Pandorasbitzbox

Cheers bud. Glad you like him.

@ Biohazard

Thanks for looking. This community is great for having someone who's stuff you really like like your stuff too.

I've started painting this guy. He's gone right off on an unexpected tangent. Don't know whether to tone him down as is my instinct or to go further into the RAD zone. It doesn't appear to have been done as much as I would have expected for Nurgle. Flying out of my usual Nurgle comfort zone on this one. I'm off on holiday now so got some time to have a think. Take in some rust, moss and ponds away.

4be06b0e-e6d2-4cc4-b741-2a66e8253b2e-e15

Yeah i was thinking fallout. Its interesting because Nurgle is assoiated with disease but not so much radiation, but radiation is cinsidere a dirty form of fuel and iss used in so many films and cartoons as a visual to denote a tainted landscape. I think the "rad" look on nurgle warmchine looks awesome... Do we even know what acane technologies power them usually. We can assume that they have moved well beyone nuclearbower... But its a very cool convept to come back to for these machines. This thread gets better and better...

@ Hushrong

Cheers. I should check out fallout pics for inspiration. Pandorasbitzbox talks to me about fallout a lot, he loves it.

@ FearPeteySodes

Thanks brother. You seem to be forgiving my Heresy.

@ Pandorasbitzbox

Cheers bezzie. 30k Deathguard have got RAD and chemical weapons I believe. The Deathguard codex has returned chemical weapons to 40k Deathguard. So there is a precident. I love the lava themes for Khorne daemons and wonder if a RAD theme would work for Nurgle. I think it would but don’t think I’m necessarily the person to do it. The colours I’m using are quite natural out of context. The Nurgle garden thing is possible but he’s definitely gone RAD the way I’ve done it here.

@ Sagentus

Cheers Sagentus, glad you like him buddy.

@ rednekkboss

Cheers mate, I was quite pleased with the model step so it’s still a concern I’m gonna ruin it or at least disguise the detail.

@ KJB

Thank you! I gotta check out this Harold then. I’ve got Orks too so I’m sure I’ll fnd something to use somewhere in the fallout games.

Fallout is a fun game. There is a huge open world to explore and plenty to see and do. So definitely worth every cent you pay for it. Unfortunately I have some kind of adult onset ADHD so I never get too far in such games anymore.

I want to say there are radioactive ghouls that I am reminded of from the glow of you hebrute.

And I like where pandorasbitzbox is going with the nuclear fuel thoughts. Maybe the helbrute is sweating radioactive waste, contaminating everything he touches or goes near, and we know unchecked radioactive waste can kill.

I've moved away from the Radiation look (that was a bit of a 'RAD herring' as it turns out :facepalm:). I went down my more muted path for Nurgle stuff. But it's still a solid idea I might return to in the future for Nurlge stuff.

Before I finish the painting I just wanted to run something past you guys. I've been a bit greedy possibly. The gun barrel is very long so I've painted rust effect one end and muzzle burn the other. It has been suggested to me that this isn't really a 'nurgle' thing to do. The burn only appearing on polished metals.

What do you guys think? Can i get away with it, should i go full rust or just tone this one back a bit. The polished metal is present to highlight the burn but I'm open to suggestions and would rather get them now than when I post it as finished and everyone thinks it's stupid. May i suggest the word 'chaos' in my defence and explanation of anything I'm trying to get away with.

f4bcf253-e019-46e9-b15e-f1eb94a85035-e15

@ Fear

I get a pass, but stay vigilant brother!

@ DuskRaider

Thank you, your opinion on Nurgle stuff means a lot to me.

@ Hushrong

Sounds like a great game. I've basically decided to dedicate any free time I have to mini's however. But games have great graphic designers so love to look at what they come up with. This Helbrute being a case in point from the Inquisitor Martyr game. I checked out Harold from the third game, he's a dead ringer for the paint scheme I had at the top of this page.

@ Vairocanum

Thank you very much, I can see how much you love a conversion from your own thread. P.s. let me know if that highlander 40k project gets up and running again, such a great idea!

Personally I think it looks great. Your barrel has great wear and rust while also still remaining steel, I really like that. I myself love heat stain effect, I use it as often as possible so that will always get a thumbs up from me. Are you planning on doing the horns a bone color?

Great. I felt it was too good an opportunity to miss. I was reminded to look up how to do a convincing burn while looking at your Warhound's Plasma weapon. I could tell there was more going on there than just black but I didn't know what you had done to get that violet hue.

For the horns I'm thinking of doing them like I did on Mamon's horn and claws...

Hidden Content
http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics16/img5adb90aa63b5f.jpg

I'm also considering discolouring them in places with grey or green (before it gets to the black areas) for further rottingness. There are enough of them to have some variety but not sure about that. The other alternative I'm considering is having the darkening going the other way, so darkest at the base.

The violet is just Druchii Violet or whatever the purple Citadel ink is called. Generally (not counting the Warhound because of all the rust) I do it as follows:

Base barrel with Leadbelcher

Paint area with heat stain Runefang Steel

Wash tip of barrel with undiluted Nuln Oil

Directly above that wash with undiluted Nightshade (the blue wash)

Directly above that is the Druchii Violet

Directly above that is Seraphim Sepia

I wait five or so munutes before applying the next wash, you don't want it to become a complete mess but you do want some blending.

@ Charlo

Thank you! I'm taking that as approval for the burnt muzzle too.

@ DuskRaider

Great, I was going to ask you but I had been hitting your thread pretty hard as it was so I went and looked it up. I did very similar but instead of the sepia I went with Dwarf Bronze. An older colour which I think like Tin bitz hasn't been updated so I hold onto those two colours particularly. Thought the bronze might work on this as it's a bit larger. Looking at the Warhound, it does show you can have rust meets burn. So that is still on option if I wanted to scale back the polished metal.

Yeah, the helbrute's cannon looks awesome! Who knows, maybe fluff wise that whole weapons becomes covered in rust and mold. Then when the ammo loaders feed a new belt of rounds and that barrels start spinning the rust cracks off and the mold is thrown free. Then when the rounds fly the heat just sears the metal and polishes it off.

@ DuskRaider

Cheers man. This is a great community. In that spirit I'm sharing my trials with water effects here, so others can avoid the same pitfalls.

@ Hushrong

This is great, perfect fluff reasoning. Just spins & burns that rust, decay and chaos right out. Don't tell the grey knights.

Minor update I've done the water effects on the base. This is my first foray into water effects and against very good advice I didn't practice or do any tests(!).

I used Wood Scenics Realistic water and Flourescent Yellow Vallejo Model Colour. Also some skulls, clear beads (for bubbles) and a bit of darker washes dipped into the liquid (around the edges and on the far side of the Nurgling).

First attempt leaked. I had some plastic packaging (that you can see in the hidden photo) held on with bluetac (!?), you know that well known water tight substance. I now believe blue tac is what was used on the Titanic. Electrical tape was suggested (by my fellow blogger warbringer) so I went with this on the next attempt. Vaseline was also suggested, which I believe was used in Moulin Rouge.

Second attempt I dropped the Flourescent yellow in, it looked wicked (see pic below) but then dispersed too much.

Hidden Content
0ca03a0b-393f-4973-8a1a-4e91cc86c3e8.jpe

So even though it looked great I couldn't actually have this because by the time it would be set it would all be too diluted.

Third attempt, the keeper. Even though the over dispersion was no good and I removed the liquid I actually went back and did it again. The initial diluted dispersion I figured would help sell the glow effect, it hits the objects near by (skull for example). I then waited 3 hours, the liquid was more gel like by then. I dropped the Yellow in then and it didn't move nearly as much. By morning it was dry but a bit uneven. I topped it up again and put one last drop on top, by this point it was so shallow it didn't really move.

Here is the result. Not perfect by any means but I'm happy with it.

23418658-52c6-4ec9-95bf-6f34a19c221d-e15

By chance the way I'd painted the yellow Nurgling looks like he's glowing a bit from the toxic slime. I think I will try to extend this a bit to the Helbrute and try a bit of OSL.

I think that turned out amazing man. Even if you didn't make it look like that on purpose. What sort of texture is the Water effects when its set, is it quite hard like green stuff, or is it kind of rubbery? just wondering what its like to clean that edge up.  I reckon for your Technical August challenge for Azazel.s blog you should a unit with multiple models that use water effects on the bases and try to RAD them up like this, good practice to get some consistency in your technique. I'm super excited to see this finished and for you to get it up on the blog. Well done