KDC’s Nurgle Affliction - Renegade Militia conversions

This has felt much longer than about a month. But I've finished the Helbrute.

c08bf9aa-9754-4a74-b24d-585cb8df5746.jpe

adb41d29-301c-4d52-b9ea-6cfacf1e60f5.jpe

25b85b41-cd27-4cb9-a120-448a772dc454.jpe

e69da71a-5ae6-4a61-a8d1-465a40291812.jpe

5ef77595-fecb-4f54-9bb3-15d2f5acf821.jpe

The Radiation glow is more subtle on the Helbrute himself than I thought it was going to be at one point. Also went the long way round on the painting. At one point his skin was blue and several times the armour and skin were merging into the same colour.

@ Rednekkboss

Cheers buddy much appreciated.

@ Pandorasbitzbox

The water effects are a bit rubbery even when set (this one is anyway). Quite a large meniscus, I cut it away with scissors! I'd say the original go at the water effects even though it went completely wrong was very useful. I took that photo then tried to figure out how to recreate it so that it stayed. I'm pleased with the glow effect and very happy I managed to replicate it.

@ Duskraider

Thanks so much, glad you like it. First go at it. So pretty pleased with the results.

@ Hushrong

It's not a perfect base from where I'm sat! But I'm happy with the effect. Well here it all is together hope you like it.

@ Biohazard

Thank you. I did move away from the toxic colours on the Helbrute but hope you still like it. Loved making this guy. I just felt like I had to make him. He did end up more complicated as I went along.

Whoa, that Dreadnought/Helbrute is quite a beast! Fantastic work on him! I have to admit I wasn't a fan of your choice of head, initially, but it really works very well on the finished model. Extra kudos for the highly dynamic looking pose -- excellent work all around! :)

@ ElDuderino

Haha fantastic. Next step is to get you to like Nurgle...

@ rednekkboss

Thank you so much. I think the Nurglings might be my favourite bit too.

@ Krautscientist

Thanks buddy. The original Helbrute in the Inquisitor Martyr trailer did have a couple of odd design choices that I kept more or less. The head is slightly more Nurgley (fat) on mine though.

@ Biohazard

Amazing, thanks very much bud.

@ DuskRaider

So glad you like it. No pressure then. My initial thoughts as I was doing this would be maybe a Comtemptor and more recently some possessed in the style of the awesome FW Gal Vorbak models, but Nurgle. Also have the beady little eyes of all my half finished/started projects staring at me. But if you'll excuse me I have some laurels to rest on. Or more likely I can hear real life calling (or is that my wife).

@ Hushrong

I'm pleased with the little scene on the base so glad it comes across. In game terms (looked it up as I was planning the model) he's a bit of an anti horde monster (not that I've had a game with him yet).

Anti Horde? Yeah...most definitely yeah haha!

Just imagine him charging into a group of guardsmen or a swarm of gaunts. Crushing some underfoot, whipping bodies apart with his power scourge, tearing flesh with his affixed chainblade beneath his cannon, let alone the cannon itself and it's forked barrels wreaking all sorts of hell.

@ csandvik

Thank you very much, very kind of you.

@ Pandorasbitzbox

Retire? I'm quite pleased with the style of this so maybe I can work with that. Also the toxic theme could be more prominent. Also Adrian Smith's chaos pics are getting under my skin right now. And lastly Val Gorback style mutations, the teeth in particular are taking my fancy. That's my thinking but a bit of RL is gonna delay me getting too into it right now.

@ hushrong

Oh yes, they'd have no chance. I'm glad the 'spikes' on the end of the gun come across, I did slightly change the style of those from the inspiration.

@ FearPeteySodes

Thank you. I'm particularly glad you like it. Maybe Nurgle Contemptor and possessed in a similar style. But most likely (wisely) a bit of catching up with real life. Also there are a ton of unfinished projects I could be returning to, not necessarily Nurgle stuff. :wink:

• 11 months later...

I'd better dig up this old thing then! Looks to be nearly a year since I posted here.

@ Rednekkboss

Thanks for the link. Sorry for the delayed response! Looks like you've done loads since then. I'll try to be a bit more active now.

So took a break, then got back in through Blood Bowl and then suddenly signed up for the ETL on the last day.

Missed the deadline last year and decided to get my foot in the door and test the waters with a small vow of 10 poxwalkers.

d954124c-bfe2-4e46-990f-c8496d3c9d96.jpe

0e88df2b-4525-45f5-864a-1360c421c962.jpe

652c32c3-7bfd-4ce9-92a4-15f5987fd717.jpe

Despite having a Deathguard/Nurgle army for the last 10 years or so these are actually the first of the 'new' Deathguard I've painted. I think I was slightly daunted by the detail and the fact that suddenly everyone had my army. Also the fact I like to convert and was a bit thrown by the monpose of a lot of the new guys.

Anyway, contrast paints are out now and I thought that might be an easy way to speed things up and let the paints tackle the difficult high detail of the new models. Contrast loves detail afterall.

I stuck with the Chem bases that I tried out with the Helbrute that starts this thread off. The plaguebearer flesh parts seem to really hit it off with this type of base.

So onwards and upwards I've now pledged some Plague Marines so need to get cracking into them.

cd1f4f1d-3295-478a-aaa3-b4cd0ce3ace4.jpe

Signing up for the ETL on the last day was better than missing out. But I'm effectively restarting my Deathguard. With no colour scheme.

So here is a tester I've painted tonight to see if i can get nice quick results with contrast that I can then take forwards and use on the rest of the unit, or army.

42871ba5-4b64-4421-9abc-ea05c9f0c598.jpe

I really like the cover art of the Deathguard codex and a few other pieces that have this sort of colour going on. It's also a bit vintage Nurgle. I really remember seeing WFB Nurgle champions with this kind of armour, way back in the day.

Let me know what you think. I'm hoping this will be quick, effective and go nicely with the bases I'm doing.

@ hushrong

Thanks very much. The aim was to make as easy a process as possible as I have less hobby time these days but I still wanted to take part in the ETL.

I had a couple of other ideas. A shiny armour colour like a fly. Or bright armour colour that would match the bases and pick them out a bit. But this one is similar to the Plague Marine on the front of the codex.

My goal was to try to get the bulk of the paint scheme done with contrast. I was aiming to get at least the armour colour down with contrast with maybe one highlight on top.

aa765b94-1451-4043-bc9f-a2b6ba91a62c.jpe

The champion on the left is covered front and back in different mixes/ratios of contrast paints. He really was a patch work of slightly different mixes.

The guy on the right is the one I picked: 2:2:1:1 Terradon Turquoise, Plaguebearer flesh, Basilicanum Grey, Militarum Green

I've mixed up a pot of this so should be able to just chuck it on future Death Guard models.

c5756373-aeba-43cc-911b-231ee3e57760.jpe

I felt like I couldn't quite get away with just the contrast though. So I did a highlight of Vallejo Pale Blue. Picked out the light from above and did a bit of edging. Slightly gutted to still have to edge highlight, but it was pretty quick and the contrast really helped my decide where to put the highlight. It's also the only time consuming part of the whole model.

c6740dde-0a9a-4814-a6cd-3c0810801e8a.jpe

Here he is complete. The last part of the armour was to do the mould and rust streaks (didn't have a seperate photo ofr these two parts). I used a thinned down Wraithbone as little dots for the mould. I also used Gryph-hound orange thinned down for the rust streaks. This colour is also used on the rusty trim.

Most of the other colours were happy enough for me to do as contrast over the green with a tiny highlight. So that saved a load of time. The horn and tentacle areas I had to go back and redo wraithbone so I could do them in contrast.

For future models I may be a bit neater with the initial contrast green mix colour so I don't have to go back over with Wraithbone. But I almost feel like I saved so much time anyway I might just be chucking the contrast on again. Plus you know, laziness.

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thank you, that's is exactly how I want people to feel when they look at it. :wink:

@ Rednekkboss

Cheers buddy. Need a little bit of practice as the next batch are coming out slightly different.

OK I need to get my skates on to get my ETL done but I've really distracted myself with a project I've been trying to do for years.

It's an idea for Chaos Cultists and could be a future vow if I get around to it. A part has arrived which is helping me piece together what I've been imagining for a looooong time.

9815d439-1df6-406e-9f80-9910d8a40399.jpe

This is the first part of the puzzle. I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out so far.

@ Bjorn Firewalker

Thank you, that's is exactly how I want people to feel when they look at it.

You're welcome. Compliments are the least I can offer to a skilled artist with enviable skills.

It's an idea for Chaos Cultists and could be a future vow if I get around to it. A part has arrived which is helping me piece together what I've been imagining for a looooong time.

9815d439-1df6-406e-9f80-9910d8a40399.jpe

The full void suit, fishbowl helmet, and archeotech gun made me think, "Mister Freeze?" Will you induct Batman's Rogues Gallery's other members into this cult, maybe with the Joker as a Chaos Knight?

@ Bjorn Firewalker

It's funny you mention Mr Freeze. I've been looking for a way to do this for at least a couple of years. I was googling every so often and came across a forum with someone asking how to make Mr Freeze and the advice was to use Mantic Games Mars Attacks martians. These are sadly OOP but I took a risk and got a couple off eBay for too much money. I'm really lucky with the scaling, it's bang on.

I think he will look even more like Mr Freeze (unintentionally) with the further modifications I have planned. He would sit nicely next to Rednekkboss' Poxwalker Joker I imagine.

@ Elduderino

Thanks buddy. It's Mantic games Mars attacks grunt helmet. I'm now on the hunt for a different shape to continue the project.

Instead of painting my remaining 6 plague marines ive started converting again.

This is a simple Poxawalker that will be coming out of the chemical waste, thought he would look a bit like a diver.

08fadf8f-91f8-4475-a491-6e2c278f2c85.jpe

I had so much fun painting the poxwalkers I'm looking to do another 10.

The whole reason I came up with the fish bowl head guy was to make some cultists that look like they have little nurgle flies with the proboscis sticking in their heads. It's to represent them being mind controlled. So they could have a quite eclectic feel like poxwalkers. I've given it a quick go at this.

9ffd840b-11bb-4054-ab91-89c409ea0704.jpe

I'm not 100% happy with this and think maybe some sculpting or full sculpting for the fly might be better. 10 done to this theme is on the agenda.

Because it's a Chaos warband I don't mind having the units being completely different and banded together so I'm also planning on making 10 that are like Mutant Scum. Some lost and the damned.

So here is a couple of Mutant Scum!

b998754a-9cc2-42ac-9279-49c7ac62fe94.jpe

39d74638-9908-4a8f-ade4-d6c8ff884dfc.jpe

All of these seem to be good enough for me to proceed. The only downside now is the fact I'm planningn 30 conversions and still need to paint my Plague Marines for the ETL. But this is too much fun!