What next to buy/build

Orpheus108

Greetings All follows of Papa Nurgle,

I have my DG Pallid Hand army, which is ever growing but now adding Renegade and Heretics to army. I've got the AM starter box, Steel Legion commander (steel legion to look like Nurgle followers plus getting more steel legion for this).

What should I add next to the army to build it up, I'm thinking of another 2 leman russ, as to what config I don't know yet (help there would be great to, as I was thinking 2 with nova cannon and 1 punisher), or a baneblade or some config, I was thinking of the leman russ, some more troops and an armoured sentinel.

I'm trying to go for what the pallid hand/DG, lots of tanks and heavy units

Any help would be a great help.

I think you should get a baneblade... they just look good. Hoping when we get proper rules it’ll have the fearless aura like last time. Admittedly I’m not a fan of the leman Russ chassis looks wise.

There’s this chassis... http://ratgard.com/index.php/2017/12/14/leader-ratss-m1-battle-tank/

And I definitely want one, it just doesn’t have a punisher cannon option.

I have a Russ, and I want another. 3 scout sentinels with heavy flamers, good size blobs, some Ogryns... which are better now..., 2 earthshaker carriages and a unit of 3 quad mortars.

So more bodies to tie up the enemy while heavy assault units close in most R&H units will benefit from enforcers or a Dark Apostle nearby.

Artillery to pound them down as they try and close. I love a punisher Russ with heavy Bolter sponsons and Hull heavy bolter. That’s a lot of shots for one unit. With Grinding Advance it makes it terrifying for lane denial. 2-3 of those would be an insane firebase you wouldn’t have to move often.

I’m of the mind to drown them in as many shots as possible, they are going to start to fail saves from the sheer volume.

Hays a really nice conversion kit but doesn’t fix my main problem with the track guard side panel being so close to the ground.

. . . :facepalm:

Well, thanks for that. Now I can't unsee it.

Warsmith Uveron, I'm sort of looking at a fun way but I'll mainly using the renegades as a tarpit to tie up the opposition while heavy artillery (basilisks) pound them, running at least 3 sentinels to harass them running around the board with 3 leman russ, 1 punished and 2 with nova cannon.

Plus running my DG with them should have fun throwing artillery allround and deep striking the blightlords in.

Finally running a Rust Hound Knight for fun.

What variants do people use for there leman russ'

As an experienced Tallarn IG player I'd have to say the regular battlecannon and Executioner plasma cannon variants really shine this edition. The Punisher and Demolisher variants are decent too. But the Eradicator, Exterminator, and Vanquisher versions all seem a bit lack lackluster, especially the Vanquisher.

I have no experience with the FW Conqueror, but people say it's pretty good. And, since you play R&H, you already own a copy of the FW Undex that has the Conqueror rules. You'd have to kitbash your own Conqueror though because the model is now OOP.

My (as yet unpainted) Renegades and Heretics Leman Russ is a classic battlecannon vanilla Russ. I've found that version to be my favorite this edition due to its versatility. I hope to paint it up next year.

Battle cannon Russ are probably my favorite choice - tough, amazing range, take full advantage of the Grinding Advance rule.

Other stuff I still really like in R&H aside from tanks;

-Ogryn Berzerkers - Good for their points and hit hard, good option for a Chimera or Valkyrie transport.

-Rogue Psyker Coven - Another good Chimera option if you can time it right they have a big enough footprint that you can give Unnatural Vigor to multiple Cultist squads.

I have a Quad Mortar battery too but I find they are over points costed for what they do. Unless you play power level then youre laughing.

I do like the idea of the quad mortar, fits with DG and the chimera with chem thrower, though wish you could take blight launchers with it, would be sweet.

So on Friday got another leman russ, which I'll make into a punished to help mow down infantry as for the other 2, still torn between battle cannon or nova cannon to negate cover saves.

I was looking at a flyer or 2 but I think that will come later as I have no idea where to begin with them.

But now also with the release of the renegades update to be able to take any knight as a renegade is awesome, as I was going to use my 2 armingers as imperial but now 2 warglaives along side a rusthound renegade knight is sounding very very sweet. I can just see two warglaives like nurglings running around the bigger knight

Ill occasionally run a Banewolf; slap a HFlamer on the hull and kamikaze the thing. Good option to work in tandem with a foot unit and lead the assault to eat overwatch.

If i field a Wolf though its usually with a pair of Hounds.

In my regular guard list, my most consistently useful units are regular Leman Russes and Hellhounds. Basilisks are also almost always there, and they're either the MVPs or perform horribly, though I've been told that's mostly me having horrid luck. I'd also start playing around with army lists. As cool as it can be to plan out a huge project, it sounds like you're planning on this being an allied force for your Death Guard primarily, and if you're thinking 3 sentinels, 3 Basilisks, 6 Russes, plus other stuff right off the bat, it won't leave much room for Death Guard unless the game is huge :)

From a modeling standpoint, almost everything in the list can be Nurglified really easily. One of my favorite R&H units has always been mutants. They're not always the most tactically sound choice, but a huge unit or two of plague infested mutants with an enforcer to cover morale issues has become my definition of a Chaos tarpit.

Kinstryfe, I'm looking at a small allied unit for DG and looking at mainly 1 leman russ, 1 basilisk and troops, then the main force as DG.

I'd like to try a R&H only list, and look at other chaos gods it's devoted to and not Nurgle.

Kinstryfe, I'm looking at a small allied unit for DG and looking at mainly 1 leman russ, 1 basilisk and troops, then the main force as DG.

I'd like to try a R&H only list, and look at other chaos gods it's devoted to and not Nurgle.

The big disadvantage with pure R&H is you pretty much forfeit the benefits of non-basic strategems. So being allied to something with codex strats makes it less of a handicap.

Archived