found some old 17.5ml paint pots

spu00sed

Been sorting out my school's club warhammer collection (students are so messy), at the back I found a tool box full of the old 17.5ml hexagonal (and a few of the newer 12ml hexagonal) paints.

Nostalgia made me open a few of them in the vain hope that they might be still usable.  All of them are as fresh as the day they were made.  What happened over the decades that meant paints dry easier nowadays compared to yesteryear?

On the newer style lids, the excess paint drips from the lip on the inside of the lid and on to the section where the lid seals against the pot. Over time this lump of paint stops the seal being effective, allowing air into the paint and causing it to dry out.

Its worth going round the lids of your newer pots and removing the paint build up, to keep the paint pots sealing properly.

I loved the screw top hex pots.

I struggle to understand why anyone would love them, lol, nowt a strange as folk

now the gen before, the flip hex, and the one before that, the flip cylindrical * swoon *

I'm also still using a few of the hex paint pots from the late 90s, after a 15 year gap most of them were fine.

Generally they're not as good though the paints seem to have less pigment, even when well stirred. They're not thinner, just weaker, more translucent.

On the newer style lids, the excess paint drips from the lip on the inside of the lid and on to the section where the lid seals against the pot. Over time this lump of paint stops the seal being effective, allowing air into the paint and causing it to dry out.

Its worth going round the lids of your newer pots and removing the paint build up, to keep the paint pots sealing properly.

I can't even count the number of those pots that were completely dried out before I ever even opened them.

I think the screw-top pots were a product of the dark gods. Getting those paints to last for any reasonable period of time was quite frankly impossible for me. I think the shockwave of relief produced when I found out the screw tops were gone is still spreading throughout the universe to this day.

I am also finding that the current paint pots seem to insist on getting paint in the area Dantay points out, I think the Forge World paint pots were okay apart from the plastic connecting the lid and the pot breaking after a long time of use. I think the old 1st/2nd edition paint pots were some of the best designs over all. I just wish the lids didn't get brittle after however many years. Gotta be gentle opening them now.

That is way too much text talking about paint pots. My bad. :p

I still have and occasionally use: Rotting Flesh, Bad Moon Yellow, Striking Scorpion Green, Bubonic Brown Elf Flesh, Woodland Green, Bilious Green, Fire Dragon Crimson, Crimson Gore, Go Faster Red and a few washes like Flesh, Chestnut, Black, Waaargh Green andRed glaze.

My Shining Gold is getting low as I used it for the primary layer for my recently done Warhound, that’s going to limit my expansion of the Legio :P

Mine are mostly shot. I've got a couple of shades of red that are still good and a silver. The rest turned into bricks, but to be fair, they spent a few years in cold storage. And by "cold" I mean around -40°, so it's by the grace of him on Terra that any of them are good at all.

I struggle to understand why anyone would love them, lol, nowt a strange as folk

now the gen before, the flip hex, and the one before that, the flip cylindrical * swoon *

Agree that the screw lids were not really all that good. Mine dried very easily.

But those flip cylindrical! I still remember having blisters on my finger from opening and shutting them! And when the little plastic 'handle' broke it was made even worse!

But they kept tight that's for sure. I used up the last of an old orange paint with a flip cylindrical lid last year. I think it was produced at the end of the '80.

On the other hand, the quality of the paints are much much better nowadays, so I guess having bad lids is a trade I'm willing to make.

Heh, yeah those little tabs were a nightmare. On well used pots they'd break then every time you used it you'd suffer a mild anxiety attack trying to wrench it open, wondering if you weren't pulling hard enough of if you did pull too hard you'd send the pot catapulting into the air flinging paint everywhere :laugh.:

Current paints (and all the variations!) are wonderful but the pots are rubbish. Dantay VI has it spot on - I hate having to scrape out dried paint to try and get a decent seal again. It's not so bad with most paints that see average use but with popular pots it's real nuisance :yes:

And that's why I transfer all my Citadel paints to dropper bottles. No dried paint, no waste, no frustration, and they store in a much smaller footprint. ;)

But yeah, I've still got a few of the old paints that were manufactured by Coat d'Arms. Paint is still good.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same dribbling issues with the old hexagonal flip tops as we get with the current range now. I also remember the thumb pain from opening the old pots, I think most 9f mine dried out in the end.

And that's why I transfer all my Citadel paints to dropper bottles. No dried paint, no waste, no frustration, and they store in a much smaller footprint. ;)

I've been thinking about doing this.

Archived