storage, cases for larger models? many?

Triszin

This chap has a pretty good war of storing most tyoes of models. 

I watched this video less than an hour ago funnily enough.

I suppose with tanks you could fit magnets into the tracks. Skimmer tanks might be tricky unless you make your own bases instead of flying stands. Tool boxes are also fairly useful for storing larger models. I am going to find this problem getting more difficult when I start adding a second or possibly third Dunecrawler to my Skitarii.

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the day I used deep freeze plastic bags for transporting squads, kept closed with a plastic clip - result: some broken off weapons and chipped paint from models tumbling around inside the bags. What can I say, I was young and didn't know better.

I'm using feldherr XL hard cases for army transport nowadays, not the cheapest but easy to use and durable.

And with raster foam inlays/trays, no need for made-to-order customized trays.

But don't just listen to me, look at all foam tray makers and pick the one that suits your needs best.

Before getting a foam tray case, I went to the local DIY store and calculated the cost for a toolbox with inlays made from insulation foam and arrived at similar figures, but with more assembly required. Your mileage may vary depending on region and DIY store and intended size of box and inlays.

For storage. I've kept the cardboard boxes of many gw kits I bought - using some left over foam from raster/pluck foam inlays as padding and stacking multiple boxes in a large hard plastic container, they make for a relatively cheap but safe and durable storage solution. Sticky labels make it easy to know what's inside each box without having to look inside.

That magnets + bacon trays method is smart though - I'll have to try that out some time.

Looks like one could transport more models in the same space with that method.

I went with a similar system to the roasting trays. Weston A5 storage boxes with a magnetic sheet glued into the bottom. They’re neat and compact.

For infantry models you can get a lot into a small space, but it’s no good for very tall models (holding things aloft) or vehicles.

I'm late to the party but I'll throw another vote in for KR. Their website is difficult to navigate but if you take a little time you'll figure it out. Their CS is also great. I used excel to block out what trays I needed and shot it off to them for confirmation and they replied instantly and helped me out.

If you can try going in on a group buy so you can get free shipping (if you're in the states).

Another KR fan here.

I have also used Feldherr for X-wing minis and the quality of the products are similar. It is probably just a case of finding which is more cost effective for the particular models you wish to store.

I’ve got a few KR card cases which I use for storage but am probably going to start gaming properly for the first time so will need to transport stuff to my FLGS.

What do people think of the KR outer cases? It seems like I’d need the one that takes 3 card boxes as I have a few Armigers and Dunecrawlers. Is the ‘open case then one another case’ thing annoying?

I do like the look of the Gifts for Geeks cases and the way it opens but the tray range isn’t as good. Anyone tried those?

I really like the KR Kaiser transport bags for the cases. I have one that transports 4 card cases, and one for two cases. Really easy to carry, and waterproof. I wouldn't put it on my back however, even though you can.

I recommend the Kaiser bag for two card boxes as it's the most convenient size for carrying an army of 2 - 3k and easily fit under tables, etc.

I've got a KR bag as well, the one for two cases. Bought it second hand so it's got a tournament patch I've never heard of but it's solid. It would be very uncomfortable on your back but it is possible. If you're just carrying it from your storage to vehicle to game and back I think it's great. It has enough extra pockets that you can easily fit rule books, dice, etc.in it.

Archived