Forge World Kothar and House Sylvestris Join the Fray

OnboardG1

I decided to put together some background for my forgeworld along with my new knight house to tie them into a cohesive whole. 

Records are unclear but it appears that the twin worlds of Kothar and Khasis, meaning skill and wisdom in an old tongue, were first settled by the knight houses of the Sylvestris line some time during the Dark Age of Technology. The Shoguns of Khasis fought the mountainous and difficult landscape to carve out a prosperous, if strictly hierarchical society mainly based on metal extraction and cultivation of the exotic timber that grew on the slopes of the great, geologically active mountain ranges.

Kothar had long bemused the scientists of the world, for it appeared to exert as much gravitational influence on its neighbor as Khasis did on it, despite being a third of the size. It was discovered that the deep core of the world contained deposits of a highly dense form of adamantium, colloquially named Kotharian Steel, difficult to work and rare. However it was one of the few things that could reliably cut and shape the exotic materials that shaped humanity's greatest technologies without rapidly wearing out or breaking. The Fabricators of Mars sent their fleets to industrialize Kothar, and soon the world teemed with mines and factories dedicated to the difficult but lucrative task of mining the Adamantium and casting machine tools. 

With the fall of Old Night the fleets from Mars stopped coming, and the world was forced to become more and more self-sufficient. A pact was formed between the Mechanicum outpost and the Knights Sylvestris: Protection for sustenance. The Mechanicum would maintain their knight suits in exchange for their stalwart defense of Kothar. As time past the worlds were assailed by the horrors of Old Night, and many secrets were lost in the chaos of that time. 

With the arrival of the expedition fleets of the Emperor of Man the two worlds rejoiced at the return of Sol's divine rule. However they were divided on who to pledge allegience to. Eventually the Mechanicum claimed the fealty of the system due to the importance of Kothar, over the objections of many senior Knights who wished to pledge their swords to the Emperor personally, and rankled at their former vassals now being elevated above them. These wounds have healed with time, but the scars are still present in the continuation of Sylvestris' old naming conventions: Samurai, Daimyo and Shogun rather than Knight, Duke and Princeps. 

Now the forges of Kothar once again produce the tools to craft the finest armor and weapons, at a trickle now compared to their heyday but a priceless one. The Knights stand vigil against invasion and accompany the explorator fleets of Mars when they draw levy from the twin worlds. With the opening of the Citrix Maledictum the deployment of Kothari Skitarii and Sylvestris Knights has become a more common sight in the subsector as they are called upon to defend the Imperium against the resurgent threat of the Archenemy.

House Sylvestris symbol. The skull represents their allegiance to the Mechanicum. The cat's eye represents both the vigilance of House Sylvestris and the planet of Khasis itself. The moon represents Kothar and the eternal bond between the twin worlds. Finally both are embraced by the Cog Mechanicum, representing the protection and grace of the Omnissiah. 

Sylvestris8

Datasmith of Kothar advancing with his cohort of robots.

http://i.imgur.com/Z7MEXy8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cmsKMwv.jpg

Knights Armiger of Sylvestris prepare for battle

http://i.imgur.com/3MEl8Vj.jpg

---------------------------------------------

I'll add some more images as I build out the force. I have some more minis pledged to ETL and I plan to add a couple of knights shortly! I'm also going to decal print the house symbol to add to my knights, although I suspect the trimming might be tricky as I'll need to do it on white decal paper.

Agreed, this is a fantastic all-around project and I like the interesting freehand work on your Armigers :smile.:

The retainers of the house aren't allowed their own personal heraldry so they tend to paint their own designs on the chassis to distinguish their steeds. Some Samurai allow them to do so because of longstanding house tradition. Many more do so because it annoys the tech-priests.

Thanks for the kind comments all ^^

• 1 month later...

Archived