SM tanks

Ultramarine vet

So I have just finished collecting a full company of marines, plus half of the venerated 1st company. But now, my gaze has shifted to tanks, and now I want to buy several tanks of almost every type of the space marines.

Now thinking tabletop wise, I have heard tanks are quite effective in this edition. So, I want to know what all you fine folks have experienced with specific tanks, such as the predator and the vindicator. How good are they exactly? With no templates anymore, I am very interested in knowing how the vindicators and whirlwinds do now. Because I am starting to like the idea of having a good amount of tanks in my future battles.

Transports aside, I have Predators, Land Raiders and a Vindicator.

The Predators are decent, they sit under re-rolls bubbles and do ok for their points. Killshot is ok if you have three, which I now do for that very reason.

Land Raiders suck. I won't be playing my LRC again unless something changes about its rules. It's too expensive and because it needs to get within 12 inches to unleash it's full dakka, it can and will get charged into pointlessness.

Vindicators are also pointless now, they lack hits to worry troops and the range to worry vehicles. So, I converted mine into a Laser Destroyer! Queue more shots, (4 S9 if it doesn't move!) And more range!

Here's mine with my Predator Squadron:

IMG 20180618 220347

Transports aside, I have Predators, Land Raiders and a Vindicator.

The Predators are decent, they sit under re-rolls bubbles and do ok for their points. Killshot is ok if you have three, which I now do for that very reason.

Land Raiders suck. I won't be playing my LRC again unless something changes about its rules. It's too expensive and because it needs to get within 12 inches to unleash it's full dakka, it can and will get charged into pointlessness.

Vindicators are also pointless now, they lack hits to worry troops and the range to worry vehicles. So, I converted mine into a Laser Destroyer! Queue more shots, (4 S9 if it doesn't move!) And more range!

Here's mine with my Predator Squadron:

First off, I love your Black Templar battle tanks! Brilliant looking, and great conversion on the Vindicator!

So that makes sense. Of the battle reports I've seen, I have seen a lot more predators than anything else. With that said, I'm glad I have my 3rd predator ordered and on the way. Lol. I have yet to see a LR fielded, but then again I haven't watched too many reports. Vindicators, I'm not surprised you pointed out they are pretty weak. I'm not happy they got hit pretty bad by the nerf gun. But in specific, how do you feel about predators with autocannons and heavy bolters? I have never tried that loadout before.

I have to say, razorbacks are pretty good.

I have a LRC that I enjoy playing, but yes, you need to do something to prevent it from getting charged (e.g. screen it with rhinos or blood claws or something). It's decent though, when it gets to shoot (i.e. because it's not stuck in combat). The first time I used it I think it entirely wiped out a cultist squad that my cheesy friend was planning to regenerate, but he needed a surviving model to do that... That was a while ago, though. I guess the game has evolved since then.

I feel like the LRR is actually pretty good. It doesn't worry as much about being charged since the flamestorms autohit, though it really does have to get right into the enemy's face to be effective.

Also, if you're playing Iron Hands, the flyers (not tanks, I know, but they are vehicles) are great. I use Talons and just picked up a Hawk. With their to hit bonuses combined with Machine Empathy stratagem, you're hitting on 2+ with a lot of attacks.

I feel like the LRR is actually pretty good. It doesn't worry as much about being charged since the flamestorms autohit, though it really does have to get right into the enemy's face to be effective.

Also, if you're playing Iron Hands, the flyers (not tanks, I know, but they are vehicles) are great. I use Talons and just picked up a Hawk. With their to hit bonuses combined with Machine Empathy stratagem, you're hitting on 2+ with a lot of attacks.

I actually do have a LRR, so I might have to try it out. Ah, thats a nice Iron Hands strategem. I hope they have something good for Talons in Ultramarines. Lol. Because I have 2 Talons, and I very much look to put them to use. I have noticed Storm Ravens are amazing. I have watched a few battle reports with those, and they have tons of firepower. Very impressive.

The Command Tanks are a nice duo if you can pick them up. If not, they’re converted easily enough, I think. Thematically you could make them your ‘captain’ and ‘lieutenant’ and have a decent HQ section too.

They’re pretty good force multipliers too, so if you can get them I think they would round your tank army off nicely.

Archived