++Darkest Oaths - Questor Traitoris Thread++

Khornestar

Anybody got a line on a good source of bear skulls of the appropriate scale for those of us doing Malinax? The "Skulls" pack from GW is good for general decoration, but bear skulls specifically are somewhat important.

On a similar note, the shields, standard, and other bits from AoS Bullgors seem to make good accessories for Malinax given the number of animal skulls and the general Chaos vibe.

I have considered picking up Cryx skull bits, specifically stalker jack skulls, since they look bestial, but I haven’t tried it so l don’t really know. My Malinax knights have been supporting the Death Guard for so long that their own heraldry (and identity) has been lost to Nurgle’s touch.

————

Confession time: l hate how the melee knight arms look and ‘function.’ The damn things don’t even have elbows, how are they supposed to lunge or swing a sword or fist-like weapon? I guess they lamely hold it out and pivot violently to make haymaker strikes? The chainsword limbs just don’t look dynamic, they look flimsy and l am going to replace mine... but with what, hmmmm.... that is the question...

Edited by Azekai

Anybody got a line on a good source of bear skulls of the appropriate scale for those of us doing Malinax? The "Skulls" pack from GW is good for general decoration, but bear skulls specifically are somewhat important.

On a similar note, the shields, standard, and other bits from AoS Bullgors seem to make good accessories for Malinax given the number of animal skulls and the general Chaos vibe.

Not cheap by any means, but the most appropriate I could find was this:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/7GFFCEBW3/bear-skull?optionId=2429819&li=marketplace

I have considered picking up Cryx skull bits, specifically stalker jack skulls, since they look bestial, but I haven’t tried it so l don’t really know. My Malinax knights have been supporting the Death Guard for so long that their own heraldry (and identity) has been lost to Nurgle’s touch.

————

Confession time: l hate how the melee knight arms look and ‘function.’ The damn things don’t even have elbows, how are they supposed to lunge or swing a sword or fist-like weapon? I guess they lamely hold it out and pivot violently to make haymaker strikes? The chainsword limbs just don’t look dynamic, they look flimsy and l am going to replace mine... but with what, hmmmm.... that is the question...

The bonejack heads look like they'll do. Ordered a few online. Thanks.

I don't see much in the thread here about armigers - is that because they're largely forgettable or because they're less shiny and new than the Dominus chassis knights and because people are revisiting their exist renegade knight models now the points are lower?

I ask because I'm curious about what the warglaives bring to the table. My force is predominantly Worldeaters supported by Khorne daemons and I'm curious about units that can add some early game punch while my rhinos close the distance and my daemons arrive from the warp.

Right now, I'm using predators to soften or destroy armor but admittedly that's not the fluffiest choice; a knight and a couple armigers is about the same cost as the spearhead detachment I've been using.

On paper, armigers run in the same price bracket as heldrakes, maulerfiends, forgefiends and are slightly cheaper than predator annihilators. They're faster than all those units except the drake and equally or more durable than all those units. Unlike the forgefiend and predator, their armament is suited to moving and shooting, allowing them to either cap objectives or provide close support with less trade off. The warglaive also looks to be more capable than the drake in assault and very similar to the mauler, while also bringing some shooting.

I'd be curious to hear what people's experiences are before shelling out for the kit (and some conversion bits).

I just finished assembling a Nurgle Armiger and I fully intend to make a pack of them for my House Makabius army. The nice thing about being Chaos us we can mix and match the different types, unlike the Loyalists. I'm undecided if I want one Warglaive and two Helverin or two Warglaives and one Helverin. The Autocannon is pretty nice, but having the CC ability to protect double weapon Knights is pretty useful as well.

INNnVNT.jpg

n60srsm.jpg

xUcdaD8.jpg

fpEZUu8.jpg

Edited by DuskRaider

Well I still have to get two more if I'm to run them. At $40 a rip on eBay it's not happening anytime soon. I do plan on using the Plaguespitters from the Bloat drone as Autocannons. The ones the models come with are dumb looking and while theres some really cool looking aftermarket ones, at $15-$25 for a single weapon I can't justify it.

I'll eventually pick up a box since it's only $20 more than buying a loose one.

Edited by DuskRaider

I personally don't plan on using Armigers since I'll field my Knights combined with Hellwrights and Renegade infantry or Daemons.

I feel that should I need them, Daemon Engines can fill that role nicely because they synergize with Daemons and Hellwrights can repair them regardless of Allegiance. If you're looking to screen shooty Knights with some kind of mid-level walker, I'd suggest the Defiler. A Reaper/Scourge Defiler is around the same price as an Armiger and is more durable while outperforming the Warglaive in combat in many cases. It also has a huge footprint to deny access and can benefit from CSM or Daemon Psychic Powers and aura buffs. It IS slower, but has greater range on the Battle Cannon/Reaper combo than the Warglaive's Thermal Spear, and its accuracy issues can often be mitigated by Daemonforge. Then when the enemy closes, they will get WRECKED.

The Helverin would likely be superior to the Defiler at range for the same points given the reliability and accuracy of its weapons, but I'm not certain.

Those with different thematic ideas or battle plans will likely prefer the Armigers, but for me, they're not needed.

I don’t really plan on using armiger, either. I have a couple of knights from the first go ‘round of the renegade box, and there are other things I’d buy before those. The helverins have pretty good shooting, but I’m more about rushing with a mountain of daemonic metal than sitting back and plinking away with dinky-looking yet powerful gun arms.

I feel that should I need them, Daemon Engines can fill that role nicely because they synergize with Daemons and Hellwrights can repair them regardless of Allegiance. If you're looking to screen shooty Knights with some kind of mid-level walker, I'd suggest the Defiler.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'd totally forgotten about Defilers; mine hasn't left the case since early last edition due to the old point cost but the load out you suggested is cheaper than a warglaive; I'll have to give that a shot. I'm a bit leery of the WS and BS on daemons engines but I've already got the model so it's worth a shot.

Sounds like I'm in a different spot as far as building a force. I've just got the one Knight and I'm looking to add to CSM and Daemons. The ceiling for points I usually pay is 2000, typically less, and I'm hesitant to buy up a bunch of stuff that will keep me from using the units I've already got.

The range on the Armiger Autocannon trumps just about all of those other options. 

That's why I said the Helverin is where you want to go if you want range. My response was based purely on my own battle plan, which involves using smaller units to make up for the shortcomings of my Knights, which is close combat, overall, since I'm using our loadout options to their extreme and running with 2 double-gun knights and one hybrid (would be another 2 gun knight, but I need the Chainsword on one of them to reduce cost). We have better options than the Warglaive for that, but I noted that the Helverin was likely the better option for range.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

For sure but when you are rocking so many command points with double Batallion or Brigade who cares about 3 more?

I think this really depends on what else you're bringing to the party. Personally I'm inclined to agree the armigers look solid on their own and aren't too needy for CP, but I've only got one knight; adding two armigers is a cheaper way to fill out the detachment both for my wallet and for the point budget available. I burn a lot of CP deep striking daemons, so it's appealing to me to have knights bring their own.

If you're building with several shooty knights as the core of your force, points are at a premium and there's likely to be more need for CP, so I can see the appeal of the super heavy detachment.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like a good place to ask this.  I am planing on doing some knights as House Morbidia, unfortunately there is only a little bit of lore on them at the moment.  I was wondering since they are known to fight alongside Legio Mortis if it would make sense to paint them in Mortis's colors?  I was thinking mostly black with some red accents and then silver trim insteads of the gold that Mortis uses.

This looks like a good place to ask this.  I am planing on doing some knights as House Morbidia, unfortunately there is only a little bit of lore on them at the moment.  I was wondering since they are known to fight alongside Legio Mortis if it would make sense to paint them in Mortis's colors?  I was thinking mostly black with some red accents and then silver trim insteads of the gold that Mortis uses.

Sounds just fine; sounds good, even!