++Darkest Oaths - Questor Traitoris Thread++

Khornestar

I keep seeing nonsense about our chaos knights being significantly cheaper- is this true?

What people may mean is that our Knights are customizable in every aspect, but our cheapest Knight is their Gallant. Actually we can have the most expensive "standard" Knights.

Thanks for posting those costs, Juggernut.

I'm inclined to assume that it's just people being oblivious to the existence of the digital Codex and comparing the costs in Chapter Approved to the Index.

This seems to be the likely explanation.

I really wish those stupid Castellan/Dominus knights got nerfed. Oh well. Maybe next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on all the great discussion in this thread, I wanted to see about getting some feedback on a Khorne-aligned Renegade Helverin I'm building. 

Here's where I am so far:

EkzoP6s.jpg?1

HJZqgDI.jpg?1

The pose isn't final, most of the sub-assemblies will remain separate for painting. I know I need to fill some gaps but the greave and head are largely finished. The head is made of a spare defiler bit and "eyes" cut from two of the armiger heads. The groin plate is from the 2nd ed. juggernaught kit.

I've got most of the other bits off the sprue as well but I'm trying to figure out what to do about the carapace and shoulder armor. it definitely needs some detail to chaosify it but I'm torn between spikes and horns (or both) I've got several chaos vehicle sprues so it should be relatively easy to do spikes but I'd like to end up with something that fits aesthetically with the forgeworld chaos knight.

I'm also not a big fan of the ankle armor on the kit, so I tried to improve it - I can't decide if this is an improvement or if I ought to just leave these off entirely.

3TQKwXp.jpg?1

Any comments or feedback would be appreciated - I'm looking to improve the guns as well and will post the draft versions soonish.

Edited by Sgt. Blank

Here's some progress on the Hellverin. Most of the cutting and gluing for the sub-assemblies is finished - there's a fair bit of green stuff gap filling to do and I going to try to add some detail to the shoulder pads and upper carapace. The bit of green stuff is the only part i've gotten started so far - maybe I'll make bigger progress this weekend.

The main thing I've done since the last post is the autocannons. These are clearly the defining feature of the model and I feel like they needed some embellishment. I took more bits from the Bloodthrone, the Bloodthirster kit and the Chaos vehicle sprue.

L0ulCBH.jpg?1

9VOTjyB.jpg?2

Here's the general effect so far. The pose still isn't final - I plan to make sure the elbows are away from the body.

Sk7duIX.jpg?2

I appreciate any comments or feedback you may have.

Edited by Sgt. Blank

• 2 weeks later...

In the last week, I've been working on adding some green stuff to the armor plates and I'm far enough along that there's something to share.

99VKf8P.jpg?1

As before, nothing is glued to make painting less of a headache but here's what the carapace looks like now in context. I also tweaked the spiked collar per KSci's suggestion and I think it's improved the overall look.

T1xLVgi.jpg?3

As far as green stuff use, I've done gap filling and 2nd things like the arrows but never anything like the spikes before - I leaned heavily on Pandora's Bits Box's tutorial (here) , although nowhere near that quality.I had a couple false starts getting here but I'm feeling good about it now but would appreciate any comments or feedback before I get to paint. While I don't want too big of a backlog (having finally gotten an army level of models painted) I don't have a well ventilated space for priming and the weather is too cold, too humid and too windy to lay down a primer coat currently. 

I'll start in on the second Helverin instead - one thing I learned from this one is that I ought to start with the armor plates first to allow multiple layers of green stuff to cure while doing the more mundane assemblies. I plan to do the guns and shoulder armor similarly but let me know what you think. This has been a good learning experience - hopefully I improve as I go and can do a better job as I build toward converting the Gallant.

Thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Decided on a colour-scheme for my Knights.

Bone faceplates and weapons, yellow eyes, black torso and upper-leg armour, and red lower leg and knee armour and shoulder guards with brass trim.

If that seems familiar, it should be. It's the Wrath's colour-scheme:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/6/67/Wrath_Terminator.jpg

And the red is going to be BRIGHT red. No way of mistaking these as AdMech Knights either (aside from all the Khornate bits :laugh.:)

Hello all! I need some help: I've joined a tournament where we're all running a singular super heavy detachment filled with knights or renegade knights - I've chosen the latter. What are the best anti-knight knights chaos has? I've already noted the Acheron, Lancer, Atropos, and maybe Porphyion. Are warglaives viable in this format?

Atropos excels in slaughtering other superheavies and monsters.

Helverins are basically always superior to warglaives, just because 40k is a shooting game. Use what you want, but if you are looking for an edge, there is little reason to use warglaives.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the faceplate, but you might want to make the spiky things on the pauldrons lie down flat. It seems like they are bestial skulls in profile, but the pointy knobs sticking up disrupt an otherwise clean silhouette.

Love the conversions in this thread.

I have just got a Valliant (for my renegade knights) and a Castellan for my son's imperial knights.  I got the Valiiant cause it's cool...who doesn't like a massive harpoon (appreciate its not the most competitive)

Anyone know of any third part comp's that sell "similar looking" weapons.  I will magnetise both models, but thus far can't find anywhere that sells their version of the four main armaments.  Any ideas folks?

Edited by happyslugger

• 4 weeks later...

1st Helverin basically done:

pboES8M.jpg?2

Progress on the 2nd Helverin:

2FSdfKR.jpg?1

9o7Ldfk.jpg?1

pKyQL0J.jpg?1

It's coming along fast by my standards, but slow in general. The parts added on are from the metal Juggernaut (greaves) Bloodletters (left shoulder, collar, skulls on stubber) Daemon prince (collar), and Blood Warriors (right shoulder) plus green stuff.

It's held together with poster tac so the pose isn't final - C&C appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Very excited about the announcement, particularly since I just started on a second chaos knight.

First, here's the basically finished Helverin

lo7pgr3.jpg?1

AzgMdhz.jpg?1

tWxXIW3.jpg?2

If you see anything I ought to tweak, please let me know. it's poster tacked together and will be broken down to prime whenever the weather permits.

I also built a Knight arm that ought to accept either the rapid fire battle cannon or an avenger. I'm planning to run one knight with 2 main guns and one with two assault weapons to specialize and make maximum use of the one available stragetum.

Here's the arm without the gun attached - the white material is plasticard to hold a rare earth magnet

F6fiPab.jpg?1

Here's the gun attached:

kZ6eXxW.jpg?4

It doesn't look like much but I put together part of the imperial battle cannon mount with the spare melta cannon Forgeworld mount I had to get something that will accept the avenger or battlecannon parts - it took a fair amount of cutting to get the parts loose.

C and C appreciated - from here I'm going to build the other knight, with a thunderstrike gauntlet and a lot of Chaosy embellishments.

Edited by Sgt. Blank

The conversion work looks great.

I am not so good with green stuff, so my Nurgle knights (Green colour armour and rusted golf trim - my take on the Rusthounds) are a little less chaosified.  They have chains and bells on...plus (if I ever get around to it) I have a load of Nurglings that will be hanging from them and playing on the bases.

I hope the new release is a full blown codex.  Not sure how I feel about new Chaos Knight Models.  I got two boxes of Renegade Knight this time around (one last time) and split them with my son.  So I just pray they don't invalidate my knights or have a load of new weapon options that didn't come in that box.  

I have just built two warglaives and a valliant...luckily not painted them...so I could (worst case) hand them over to my BA and buy the new chaos versions of those...but my wallet is crying and wife will kill me

I too hope either keep the same options - the last thing I want is to redo armament - knight bits are seriously expensive.

Thanks for the kind words - I don't consider myself very good with Green Stuff - certainly not compared to some other B&C members. The main thing I 'm trying to do is break up the silhouette a bit to distinguish them as Chaos units at a glance. A lot of what I'm doing is adding trim or damaged armor around bits I am gluing on to (hopefully) make them look integrated.

The best advice I can give is to work in layers and let it dry over night. It's a lot easier to do, say, a horn, let that dry then work on the armor than doing it all in one fell swoop. I broke down and bought some actual sculpting tools last fall (three tool set, army painter brand) and it's helped more than I expected. In particular, the flat spoon shaped tool is great for smoothing things out and securing them to the model without putting finger prints all over.

I would imagine new weapons for chaos knights following the two renegade boxes will see a lot of counts as weapons lol.

I for one will not be rushing out to replace all the weapons on my knights.  I have assembled, painted and magnetized the lot....they can all switch weapon options and all magnets are the same way around, so each knight can use weapons from the other knights.  I have magnetized the carapace weapons also....not just on the three normal knights, but my warglaives and valiant.  That's too much work to undo lol.