Lions guard... Astra militarum log of WIPness

Ive been posting mainly on the AM page and various FB groups...figured Id give it a shot on the WIP page again as IM farther along than the last time;)

spent 2 hours working on more decals last night

I decided they were going to be AFV's atttached to the 4th combat company of the 501st...

the super heavy is on loan from the 2nd super heavy detachment... I am also sick and tired of the resin craptastic multilasers breakin off on the kit and will be replacing them with flamer barrels.

gallery_32985_14149_242492.jpeg

Im really enjoying working on the minotaur...it truly is a beast of burden and will be receiving a bunch of extra attention when the weathering time begins:)

gallery_32985_14149_218203.jpeg

The lil centaur tractors are a fun kit...

gallery_32985_14149_80343.jpeg

Salamnder is from the 8th company recon squadron...the wings of silence are a tribute to the predatory avian Wah'sun incursion that the 501st repelled in their last rotation that would later be taken into the Tau'sept empire

gallery_32985_14149_6207.jpeg

The malcador is also growing on me...Im kind of happy the Czech customs service 'lost' the package when I sold it last year...even more happy that it made its way back to me in 1 piece;)...now shes a valued part of the detatchment

gallery_32985_14149_122916.jpeg

The capricorn pattern chimera from Blood and Skulls has been painted 3 times in the last 8 years...Im liking this scheme the most:)

gallery_32985_14149_429207.jpeg

Tanks are looking great. I am really digging the dark paint job you've got.

I am especially a big fan of that Malcador! I don't get to see much of them. I had really wanted one for HH but never got into the system and couldn't justify the purchase. Yours is looking awesome with the added wear and tear.

gallery_32985_14149_60859.jpeg

Loving all of the armor that you're working on. Are you planning on fielding a mostly mechanized guard list or will you also be fielding masses of infantry?

ill be running armor heavy...expect 50 or so pewpew guys as well as some marines and a knight or 2;)

Armor is my favorite... trying a few new things with this batch...see if you can pick up what looks different than the first round of AFVs.

I have a stormhammer left of my assembled armor and then 2 more centaurs, a trojan and another russ to assemble and paint and then I will be finished...for now:)

gallery_32985_14149_387387.jpeg

gallery_32985_14149_562458.jpeg

gallery_32985_14149_501067.jpeg

gallery_32985_14149_594227.jpeg

gallery_32985_14149_772409.jpeg

gallery_32985_14149_374188.jpeg

gallery_32985_14149_637917.jpeg

gallery_32985_14149_569995.jpeg

The armor is looking superb and I love seeing them with crew!

In the last two for your vow, what is the one with the opened hatches and crane? Is that going to be a recovery vehicle?

That's pretty cool to see in an army. Obviously tanks are going to be the ones duking it out on the frontlines but to see a recovery vehicle along for the ride is a treat.

I'm grossly unfamiliar with a lot of guard tanks but is that a FW option?

That's pretty cool to see in an army. Obviously tanks are going to be the ones duking it out on the frontlines but to see a recovery vehicle along for the ride is a treat.

I'm grossly unfamiliar with a lot of guard tanks but is that a FW option?

Pretty much everything in my guard armory is a FW option... I love the detailing and differing designs of the resin kits and enjoy the look on the tabletop.

gallery_32985_14149_1034262.jpeg

heres the beginning of the fresh out of the workshop russ - being rushed to the front lines of the battles at the siege, this vehicle has only had the primer applied to its hull.

Ill be adding chalk marks and weathering to it...probably this eve.

I am loving the weathering on these. The rust is very nicely done. The interior of the Trojan with the green weathering is fantastic.

Do you have any plans to share you techniques or tips on weathering on your WIP thread here? :wink:

I have to concur, the level of detail FW put into their kits is just pure eye candy.

The rushed Russ is going to be awesome. I like that idea that it was put together and just sent out. With measurement markings on the plates and everything. The new big beastie is also looking fantastic!

I am loving the weathering on these. The rust is very nicely done. The interior of the Trojan with the green weathering is fantastic.

Do you have any plans to share you techniques or tips on weathering on your WIP thread here? :wink:

Im heading out of town for the next 10 days so will not be painting on the road...sadly...but there will be a beach so WIN!!! :)

I will be putting together a weathering tut upon my return as I have been balling through this armor for the ETL and I will have 1 more piece to work on when I get back

until then

rolling out of the factory and into the fray

gallery_32985_14149_662321.jpeg

gallery_32985_14149_1080438.jpeg

gallery_32985_14149_584490.jpeg

gallery_32985_14149_55309.jpeg

Thanks hushrong...

the chalk lines were actually laid down by the human servicemen who were about to annoint the chassis with the 501st's paint scheme when the heretics attacked and this russ was pressed into immediate service.

gallery_32985_14149_377498.jpeg

this is my last wip update before I head out of town for next 10 days.

Got it! Again that is just a great concept to see on a tank. When I had Flames of War I had wanted to do the same with some of my late war tanks as armor was needed to be rushed to the field.

The Trojan is also looking well on its way!

Got it! Again that is just a great concept to see on a tank. When I had Flames of War I had wanted to do the same with some of my late war tanks as armor was needed to be rushed to the field.

The Trojan is also looking well on its way!

lol, I was looking at a Berlin era FoW LW jagdtiger when inspired:)!

I have the ,AK 1945 German camo book and a Ammo weathering mag with so many great LW paint jobs with mixed color/camo schürzen, turrets and parts that I am probably going to go back after the ETL and repaint a few parts:)

I’m away from my paints for the next 10 days so I’ll be doing some research and posting queries on ideas.

Oh man. I can’t remember if it was the jagdtiger or panther with a normal paint job on the hull but a fresh from factory, unpainted turret that caught my attention. Reading through an accompanying explanation made me want to try that out on some of my panzers and tigers.

Looks like you have great resources to keep churning out tanks! So I’m definitely excited to see what fruits they bear.

Archived