Your most expensive 40k year?

warburni

In relative costs... mid 2000's will have my highest ratios, due to part time working and low outgoings while in school/highschool/college. In absolute terms... early 2010's, whenever it was the guard doctrine dex came out, that year and the following one, I stocked up on metal guardsmen then... although they were ebay purcahses (at my worst I think I had approx 300 old metal cadians from ebay, got it down to about 100 now).

This year by far, hadn't spent a penny on GW stuff since 1999 but came back with a Horus Heresy Alpha Legion army and some 30k admech allies last year. 

But this year I wanted a 40k army so slipped and just bought all this stuff :S

emvLmB1.jpg?1

There was another renegade box but I am painting that up at the moment.

The year 30k IH rules dropped built a 5k points army in a year including 40 resin tacs, 20 resin cataphracti, ferrus ,3 gw predators ,2 gw landraiders, 20 heavy choom bods,a contemptor maniple ,ferrus ,a Spartan and a fire raptor ( hate that kit 8)

Closely followed by when 30k knights

My most expensive year would have to be my first year just over a decade ago.

Id easily dropped a couple hundred on my SoB when i could still buy them off the shelf in store. Another hundred on a store auction for 1500pts of catachan. And later that year, 300 or 400 on a 1250 tyranid army i collected purely for a store tournament.

So my first year probably saw me blow close to 1000 bucks. Oh and a baneblade that i gave away a few months later.

I can honestly say i havent spent that much on 40k in the past 10 years combined.

Hifran, that list is almost the same as my Blood Angels Air Cav (Thunderhawk over a Stormbird, and a squadron of jetbike 'counts as' attack bikes to replace a second Raptor I sold off).  It's stupidly fun.  Pricey, but getting those loaded up Eagles supported by Xiphons over a target is glorious.  :P

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever Forgeworld releases that new Necron super heavy walker :D

Honestly though, likely last year. Bought dark Imperium, the Company Command box w/ Shadow Captain Solaq, and a box of Vanguard Vets that all got turned into Jump Pack lieutenants.

This year’s shaping up to potentially beat that though, esp with how much I’ve been spending on paint...

This year as I just got into the hobby 6 months ago or so.  Having nothing to start with it was very expensive to get into.  With paints, books, some collapsing tables, a nice game mat, brushes etc...I'm guessing I'm in $1500 usd.  Now that I have most of what I want I'm down to just picking up a couple of models a month and the occasional paint pot.  

Was it worth it?  Yes!  

Might be this year. Starting my 30k Sons of Horus will not be cheap and though my Necron army hasn't been too expensive, I've made quite a few other random purchases that add up. I've begun to sell minis I don't plan on using so that'll offset some of it, I expect. 

I think when I built up my HH Marine army may actually have been a more costly period just because of the FW purchases. It's between that time and the last year or so.

• 3 weeks later...

My worst year was the year I retired, invested quite a bit of money into large armies for Space Wolves and Dark Angels... and then my wife had a medical emergency.

I had to sell both armies and go back to work, then slowly rebuild by buying some of it all over again.

Well, most of my miniatures over the years have come from presents, so hard to tell. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure this year is the most expensive one, since in May I made two FW orders due to LCTB, and I also backed the Anvil Industries Kickstarter, and the credit card bill went over 1000 euros that month (not everything on hobby, but at least 600 were on those three charges). Moreover, during the year I've picked up some bits from 3rd party stores, a January order to FW using the free shipping ticket, a box of allarus custodes to use some bits, the limited edition terminator Praetor from ebay, the mechanicus part of Forgebane, and a couple things I'm probably forgetting. So yeah, this year has been quite expensive. I will probably pass the big AT box for the time being, and also the Killteam set, although I would like to try them both at some point.

It was one of my first 3 years into the hobby, probably. Bachelor, cheap rent, excess income... Bought so much :cuss on Forgeworld and Ebay, stuff that isn't even in my collection anymore. I was so careless and ruined so much of it. Makes me so mad with myself.

I paint way more these days but spend waaaaaay less. I was getting, uh, severely discounted midels that last couple years.

I dont have that benifet anymore but its set me up pretty good going forward (A former colleague who also had that benifet dropped a bubch of Deathguard stuff in my lap which i traded for a pile of Space Wolf projects that I'm working through).

Now my rule for buying is I strictly buy one or two kits at a time. No buying if you have to stuff to paint already. Painting is the best pacibg mechanism for pircbasing that I can think of.

Thanks to my FLGS saying they'll hold on to a AT GME box for me (as I'll be on a plane for pre-orders), and having just got my Kill Team box, my prediction for my own spending this year is slowly coming true...

Archived