When to Deny the Witch

McElMcNinja

If I successfully manifest a power I am suppose to then choose a target, but my opponent must immediately decide if he is going to try and Deny the Witch. To me both those actions happen at the same time, so per the sequencing rule I can choose to have my opponent try to deny before I choose to resolve the power?

Rules that might apply:

Make Psychic Test - "...roll 2D6. If the total is equal to or greater than that power’s warp charge value, the power is successfully manifested."

Deny the Witch -"...this takes place immediately, even though it is not your turn."

Resolve Psychic Power -"So long as the Psychic test was successful, the psyker did not die as a result of the Perils of the Warp, and the attempt was not thwarted by a Deny the Witch test, then you may resolve the effects of the psychic power, which will be described in the power itself."

Sequencing -"...you’ll occasionally find that two or more rules are to be resolved at the same time – normally ‘at the start of the Movement phase’ or ‘before the battle begins’. When this happens during the game, the player whose turn it is chooses the order."

Most (if not all) Psychic Powers read "if successfully manifested choose a unit...". This means I wouldn't actually target a unit until after I make my Psychic Test.

Picking a target is part of resolving the psychic power, which we know because it's not a separate step and is dependent on the power itself, given not all powers have you choosing a target.

Accordingly, Deny the Witch should come first.

Abhor the Witch is used when a psychic power is manifested, so part of step 2 and before Deny the Witch.

If you also have a Psyker within 24" you could attempt to Deny the Witch after failing with Abhor the Witch, but you couldn't attempt to Deny the Witch first and then use Abhor the Witch as the correct time to use it has since passed.

Archived