Q-Knights: Best primary gun?

The Thermal Cannon is ok - it's by no means a bad weapon. But there are far, far better tools for tank busting now. Unless you're strapped for points, and it's your sole remaining solution, it's becoming more and more redundant.

The big problem with the Thermal Cannon is that is relies on it's AP-4 for its efficiency against big targets. As soon as you get anything with an Invulnerable save (like another Knight) it becomes worse than a RFBC but with half the range.

This may be biased but I seem to face a lot of Invulns in my area (Death Guard Daemon engines, Custodes, probably more Knights soon).

The thing is the pay off with the thermal cannon can be a massive deal breaker and having melta rule at 18" (which with knight movement is effective range of 30")  is scary. Each invulnerable save of 5+ is direly needed as each shot can strip entire chunks off a target easily, and while disgustingly resilient is somewhat annoying to get through, it is something that punishes the avenger gatling as it adds another layer of protection where as against bulk wounding can be blown through. Though I do face few of them so I am going on theory here.

Certainly I agree with the idea of the Co-Axial rule would be nice for the RFBC, possibly more of a +1 instead of re-rolls though that would be up for debate (thematically: +1 makes sense as you are dialing in the shot instead of getting another chance but mechanically the re-rolls are stronger). Certainly would be cool if the various knights with one weapon got a special rule with their gun to make them a little more special.

Paladin getting the ability to indirect fire with the RFBC might be nice (since in lore they note that pilots can shell targets even at range with these weapons at great distance).

Errant gaining some form of "big game hunter" rule relating to hitting and wounding targets with 10 or more wounds

Warden Possibly getting an overwatch benefit with their AGC (possibly hit on 5s and 6s instead)

Crusader's being allowed to perform overwatch for another knight getting charged so long as they have LoS and range for it OR something against flyers (like +1 to hit)

Gallants already have their special perk (WS2+ and 5A)

Preceptor also already has a special quirk for armigers.

Would help add some layer of choice to the weapons and make each variant feel like an tactical option instead of a glorified weapons option dataslate! Would certainly put value on an indirect fire RFBC to get those pesky units trying to hide!

• 2 weeks later...

What is everyone’s thoughts on the las impulsor?

I’m planning on taking 1 questoris and 2 warglaives to run with my mechanicum. Giving them some increases speed and combat potential. Thinking of house raven and landstrider.

Thinking about questoris load out:

Thermal cannon may lack targets with warglaives and neutron lasers.

AGC is strong generally but done better by wrath of mars robots.

RFBC most expensive by general all rounder.

Gallant seems strong but also seems a waste for such a strong platform to have no shooting potential. Las impulsor is my only question mark.

Leaning towards preceptor. It’s mentor rule will help support warglaives meltas which will be close for landstrider anyway.

Has anyone proxied one yet?

I think it's probably academic. If you take a Preceptor, you're almost certainly doing so for the aura ability it has. You have no choice regarding the Las Impulsor.

As weapons go, it's pretty average imho. Both modes are outclassed by other weapons, but you do have a bit of flexibility with it. But again, it's not like you have the option to change it anyway, it's something you'll have to live with, or find ways to make work for you if you want buffed Armigers.

I feel like I've said this before: But the Las Impulsor is basicly a RFCB with half the range and 2 less strength in the one mode (boo!) and a thermal cannon with half the range, +3 strength and no melta rule in the other mode (eh...)

Nothing really blows you away, but i guess there's some utility to having the option of switching between the modes?

Honestly after feeling the wrath of that relic thermal cannon myself I think house Taranis may be edging out over krast for now, but I'm not sure. That said endless fury is kickarse all the same, and helped me kill so many zombies in my last game (and managed to help kill the last plague marine for a game win)

Sucks against plague crawlers though, but so did a neutron laser and an eradication Beamer so what do I know

Doing the necromancy thing on the RFBC debate. Sorry, if someone already stated this (didn't bother reading all 4 pages), the Crusader should be picking fights in melee but definitely getting in there with that amazing riverdance.The RFBC version of the Crusader on a flank has to be amazing. Think about the flanking Paladin, just better (except for big targets in melee). Yes, it costs more, 60'ish points, but slap an Ironstorm or Stormspear rocket pod on it, and it's an absolute beast. My triple C's list is going to try it at some point. That's porobably the complete knight list I'll be able to field first fully painted, as the Crusader and Castigators are done. Just the Castellan to assemble and paint :smile.:

Edit: To stay true to the topic, there is no doubt in my mind that the Avenger is the strongest tool for Questoris knights. Also I'm a gatlinophiliac, so I'm biased based on looks alone. The reason my first knight was a Warden/Crusader and the reason my second was the Castigator.

Sucks against plague crawlers though, but so did a neutron laser and an eradication Beamer so what do I know

PBCs are harder to shift than curry stains on a white shirt. Paragon Gauntlet in melee is pretty much guaranteed to squish them but anything less will struggle. Taking some cheap units that can assault out of Reserve is one solution as PBCs are rubbish in melee and cannot shoot if they withdraw from combat. Just tie them up for a turn or two to buy the rest of your forces time to move forward.

PBCs are harder to shift than curry stains on a white shirt. Paragon Gauntlet in melee is pretty much guaranteed to squish them but anything less will struggle. Taking some cheap units that can assault out of Reserve is one solution as PBCs are rubbish in melee and cannot shoot if they withdraw from combat. Just tie them up for a turn or two to buy the rest of your forces time to move forward.

Whoops, meant these Jerks , opponent ran a squad of 3 with mortarion next to them, so no way my crusader would be able to tango against all that in one turn. still won the game, but yea in the end I barely managed to kill all three of those things.

Archived