Testbed Knight Color Scheme

Bonzi

gallery_55178_14713_109936.jpg

Trying out a 'brighter' leadbelcher achieved by mixing Belcher with white airbrush paint, then overlaying with a very thinned down coat of pure leadbelcher. It certainly pops now but I haven't applied any liquid talent (Nulin oil) yet. I also started the orange coating on the frame of my Knight Errant and remaining warglaive.

Just a random idea I'm going to throw out there, but what about hitting the silver trim with a blue ink or wash? I'm my humble opinion it would make it look just that much better, plus provide beautiful contrast to the orange metallic

Just a random idea I'm going to throw out there, but what about hitting the silver trim with a blue ink or wash? I'm my humble opinion it would make it look just that much better, plus provide beautiful contrast to the orange metallic

I think that's got some real merit. I was worried the Nulin oil would drab the metal down too much but a blue wash could add a nice sheen while still adding in a needed shading effect. I'll try it out.

• 1 month later...

Well the Knight Errant is pretty far along...just started on the racing stripes. Thought I would drop some pics in this thread to show you guys where I'm at. Once the Errant is done I'll just have one more warglaive to complete and I'll have my hunting pack... assuming I don't add another knight that my friend wants to sell me.

gallery_55178_14713_60926.jpeg

gallery_55178_14713_176329.jpeg

Let me know what you guys think.

He looks good. What does the green stripe represent? Is it rank insignia, an honor marking to ID the Knight as an "Ace," or...?

The inspiration for the Armiger's and the Knight is American muscle cars. The kind where you pop the hood and the engine is all chrome and bright orange industrial paint. Thus the stripes signify nothing more than my desire to add racing stripes.

This isn't a project with a lot of '40K fluff' behind the decisions, just me trying to break the traditional 'paint the structure leadbelcher' convention.

Careful with the carapace in my opinion. Really, you need something for the carapace colour to stand out as well and compliment the orange well. Not personally sold on the Neon Green for the stripes but do be careful with that, just in case you do want to denote barons and princeps stripes that you are using could be mistaken as such markings (barons have 2 stripes down the length the side of the centre while princeps have one stripe down the centre).

Also take care with how you are applying you paint, some points look thin and could do with a second coat though that might just be me. Also suggest, if you are set on the carapace colour as is (which imo is a little bland) then chose a good trim colour to help pick it up and break the monotone of the carapace. The shading is nice (notable on the feet and arms) but maybe consider some edge highlighting to pick up the edges. Possible opt for a not so shiny orange that breaks the sheen the model has, as so edges don't just merge together and make the rather bold colour feel flat (which isn't the intention).

Personally, not my taste in colour scheme but I respect it. Very bold, bright and in your face with a nice reversal of having the more pronounced colour being on the chassis instead of the armour. Just giving some ideas you may want to consider.

• 2 months later...

Lovely work! The 'dull panels' with the crisp metal trim really let's the green glow. Green and orange are also nice contrasting colors and putting it on the 'bare metal' really works! The panels also help break up the 'OMG it's orange, orange everywhere' you might otherwise get from such a huge chassis.

Eyes need somewhere to rest in other to have somewhere to go. If there's bring screaming colors absolutely everywhere there aren't any contrast. I think what you've got there is marvelous :)

Reckon he would like his base though... And a few more friends

Archived