Smite's black legion army. First game of 9th with BAT REP

I've been wanting a black legion army for a while now, its about time I started painting all the stuff I've collected over the years.

First up we have some obliterators. I truly despise the GW models so I've had a go at some conversions. They are fairly wacky and individual, I would have liked a more uniform look but since that would involve spending more money I shall embrace the chaos and go with it.

These are WIP btw. Still a long way to go, need to file off any of the imperium decorations and add some more armour to the tracks. The half a corpse guy needs something under his legs but not sure what.

LMK what you guys think!.

EDIT 24/3/19. These are what the oblits look like currently. I'm still working on them for now, as I want to add some more green stuff before painting.

gallery_79340_15023_182938.jpg

Edited by SmiteThemAll

That's a refreshing take on the Obliterator unit, are those track units from the Ad Mech gun servitors?

Yea they certainly are different :wink:. It is indeed the kataphron tracks. I'd always thought they'd make a mean base for an obliterator conversion. I think combining them with the centurion torsos would look amazing but I can't justify spending that amount of money. I went for the bittz box bash instead

Look great! Are you sure these are not Iron Warriors? :happy.:

Thanks dude! Yes I am sure, those tentacles will be pinker than the inside of a cadian when I finish painting them :biggrin.:

Edited by SmiteThemAll

The obliterators are different but I am digging it! The one with the marine harnessed to the trachs makes me think of the film Virus and its 'antagonists' which I found neat yet creepy.

The sorcerer also looks great. Conversion work is nice and the paint job looks great.

Keep it coming!

The obliterators are different but I am digging it! The one with the marine harnessed to the trachs makes me think of the film Virus and its 'antagonists' which I found neat yet creepy.

The sorcerer also looks great. Conversion work is nice and the paint job looks great.

Keep it coming!

Thanks mate, I looked up that film and your right, defo some similarities. Also some good inspiration there. Film seemed terrible tho :biggrin.:

Very nice brother of the Long War! Always nice to see some new and refreshing looks at the Black Legion!

BCC

Salute !

Smite, you did an incredible job there. Great kitbashing!

Thanks buddy

The Bloodbound fist fits right into the DV model,it took a minute for me to recognise it wasn't part of the kit! Nice paintjob too.

Hey thanks mate ! I've bought so many random lots off eBay these past few years my bits box is just brimming with gubbins to try out on conversions.

Heres some Terminators I prepared earlier. They've let me down considerably on the table their last few outings but that means my luck is about to change right? .....Surely??

gallery_79340_14723_1167952.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_799725.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_556236.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_521882.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_1051870.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_959455.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_958518.jpg

Not particularly happy with the combi-plasma conversions. If I ever have to make any again tho I'll do a much better job.

Enjoy your weekend hobby fans!

Edited by SmiteThemAll

Yeah, that movie had two A+ actor/actress and a Baldwin brother but a B-rated horror movie script. Still, it's one of those films I love to watch.

Terminators also look good. You might have to do some 'talking in tongues' before your roll the dice. If it doesn't help the roll at least it freaks out your opponent a bit.

The combi bolters look alright. I had been thinking about flipping the plasma pistol bit and trim the handguard of the bolter. Then join the two pieces there to make an underslung combi. I'll be arming my new terminators with combi-plasmas for a more WYSIWYG look and I think I will be using those sternguard veteran combis and mixing & matching the HH combi bolters with a plasma gun.

Yeah, that movie had two A+ actor/actress and a Baldwin brother but a B-rated horror movie script. Still, it's one of those films I love to watch.

Terminators also look good. You might have to do some 'talking in tongues' before your roll the dice. If it doesn't help the roll at least it freaks out your opponent a bit.

The combi bolters look alright. I had been thinking about flipping the plasma pistol bit and trim the handguard of the bolter. Then join the two pieces there to make an underslung combi. I'll be arming my new terminators with combi-plasmas for a more WYSIWYG look and I think I will be using those sternguard veteran combis and mixing & matching the HH combi bolters with a plasma gun.

I know, Jamie Lee-Curtis and Keifer Sutherland must have been paid handsomely for that :D

Good luck with your combi-plasma conversions. The underslung look would be very cool.

I cant help but think GW are missing a trick not selling blister packs of 5 combi weapons, just imagine how much money they'd make !!

Well for now heres some Chosen. When I was planning this army the old black legion rules were still in effect. So chosen and terminators were troops. Shame thats not the case now as I really don't like cultists or regular CSM. Hey-Ho thats the way it goes sometimes. Really enjoyed using the Dark angels robed models for this.

gallery_79340_14723_390604.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_1099793.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_99810.jpg

The chosen look great and you can always build a Vanguard detachment to take them in lieu of cultists or CSM. I think you need 1 hq and 3 elites for bare minimum.

The Traitor Legions rules were alright but I had dreaded the idea of bring a warband detachment. So that pumped the brakes on wanting to do IW, AL, or BL for a good while. Although I was really tempted to do all an terminator army with Abaddo. Now I'll finally do it thanks to 8th edition. One thing I do like is the list building variety it has.

The chosen look great and you can always build a Vanguard detachment to take them in lieu of cultists or CSM. I think you need 1 hq and 3 elites for bare minimum.

The Traitor Legions rules were alright but I had dreaded the idea of bring a warband detachment. So that pumped the brakes on wanting to do IW, AL, or BL for a good while. Although I was really tempted to do all an terminator army with Abaddo. Now I'll finally do it thanks to 8th edition. One thing I do like is the list building variety it has.

Yea its just the lack of command points that is annoying. An all terminator army would be amazing. Abbaddon giving an extra 2 cps is gold.

Chosen are looking really nice, there's a good range of parts in there. I particularly like the bare-headed fellow with arm outstretched.

Thank you mate. He's my favourite too. His hand was a left over bit from a blood angels order.

Here are some more chosen.

gallery_79340_14723_304289.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_805812.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_642162.jpg

Up next on the painting block are some auto cannon havocs. Rhino, Decimator engine and 2 HQs. A jump pack lord and a slaneesh daemon prince. Just finished some bikers tonight and will upload tomorrow.

Cant wait to get a nice 1500 point army to play. My buddy has some very nice white scares, would love to make a bat rep for you all.

Making some good headway with my oblits, pics coming soon.

In the mean time here are the bikers, pretty basic but they are fun on the table. 2xFlamers and a combo-flamer for some BBQ.

gallery_79340_14723_1421919.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_65588.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_1311684.jpg

So the units I have planned at the moment are as follows.

5 Auto-cannon havocs (90% painted)

Decimator engine (50% Painted)

Rhino (50% painted)

5 More chosen (Assembled and undercoated)

Daemon Prince with wings and 2xMalefic talons. (Assembled and undercoated)

Chaos Lord with jump pack. plasma pistol and a chain axe (Assembled and undercoated)

3 Obliterators (Assembly in progress)

10 Hounds of abbaddon (Assembly in progress)

I've also caved and decided to get some regular chaos space marines and cultists in the army. I just love command points too much!

So I've got 2 squads of 5 chaos space maines lined up and 20 cultists.

Happy hobbying

Nice clean work on the bikers, I'm looking forward to seeing the Hounds, what's your plan for them, regular berserker kit or joining the betrayer pattern movement?

Nice clean work on the bikers, I'm looking forward to seeing the Hounds, what's your plan for them, regular berserker kit or joining the betrayer pattern movement?

Thanks mate ! The hounds are a mix of bits but mostly the just berserker kit. I was very lucky and got a very cheap job lot of chaos stuff from gumtree which included the berserkers. The downside was that the kid had used about 4 tubes of super glue to put everything together so I had to do a lot of surgery. Just to get them off the smaller bases required a lot of effort and many feet were lost in the process.

I'll post their assembly later, sadly they are far down the painting list as I don't have a ride for them yet. Would love to get them a rhino I could bling out or even a landraider.

In the meantime I've been plinking away at my obliterators and I think I'm happy with the final result. Should be a blast to paint when I finally get there.

gallery_79340_14723_1568195.jpg

Really happy with this guy in particular. I could see me making more like this as I have lots of harnesses from a drop pod's insides.

gallery_79340_14723_1156736.jpg

gallery_79340_14723_997104.jpg

Painting progress wise I only have the black highlights to do on my Havocs and they're done

gallery_79340_14723_1232388.jpg

And then I'm making slow progress on my rhino. I really struggle painting vehicles. All this edge highlighting is making me go goggle eyed.

gallery_79340_14723_1119626.jpg

The  bikers look great! Paint jobs are spot on and they look ready to encircle and burn down their enemies!

Obliterators are also looking good. I like the one with the harnessed torso and I definitely think that's a good way to build more in the future. Just add more cables from the body to the machine to show off some more fusion between the two parts.

The Havocs are looking great as is the rhino. I am really digging the axe bits on those autocannons.

The bikers look great! Paint jobs are spot on and they look ready to encircle and burn down their enemies!

Obliterators are also looking good. I like the one with the harnessed torso and I definitely think that's a good way to build more in the future. Just add more cables from the body to the machine to show off some more fusion between the two parts.

The Havocs are looking great as is the rhino. I am really digging the axe bits on those autocannons.

Thanks Hushrong.

I'm not exactly sure how to connect the oblit with the tracks, I'll have a think on that. My green stuff skills aren't great tho.

I also love the bayonets on the havocs. Prefer the knife ones myself but didn't have enough matching bits :)

Havocs and rhino are done. Just one highlight of the black is enough for table top and highlighting black is hard so best to go minimal.

gallery_79340_14723_449363.jpg

And heres a group shot. About 1000 points so far.

gallery_79340_14723_597438.jpg

And next on the painting block. A decimator , jump pack lord and 6 more chosen. Also a random lascannon dude

gallery_79340_14723_1334258.jpg

Happy hobbying folks!

Nice group shot and looking forward to the next batch of goodies. I did not know a decimator was that big! Dang! And I see an old school raptor jump pack!!!! :)

As for connecting marine to treads for an obliterator: I'm thinking guitar string and green stuff. Just run guitar string, or get that greenstuff cable maker, and run it down in twisted cords from the torso into the base of the tanks. When you do enough wiring you could add green stuff as to cover it up and have it painted up to be a fusion of flesh and machine.

Nice group shot and looking forward to the next batch of goodies. I did not know a decimator was that big! Dang! And I see an old school raptor jump pack!!!! :smile.:

As for connecting marine to treads for an obliterator: I'm thinking guitar string and green stuff. Just run guitar string, or get that greenstuff cable maker, and run it down in twisted cords from the torso into the base of the tanks. When you do enough wiring you could add green stuff as to cover it up and have it painted up to be a fusion of flesh and machine.

Looking forward to the next batch too. Then on to some berserkers and a daemon prince. Decimators are indeed massive :biggrin.:

The conversion tips are on point. I'll look into the green stuff cable maker.

Nice warband. Liking how those terminators look, the raptor headswap is very interesting. What did you use for your gold trim, by the way?

Thanks mate! Its actually a dark vengeance head from a chosen model. I got bored with the chosen and hacked him up! Very much in the spirit of chaos :biggrin.:

The gold trim is just 2/3 thin coats of retributer armour and then a healthy shade of devlan mud. Then a highlight here and there of chainmail (old old pot of citadel paint)

Edited by SmiteThemAll

Smooth looking warband, the blades on the autocannons are a nice touch. The fact that each member of the Havoc squad has the same pattern of helmet in the same colour really unifies them and gives the more professional look expected of the Black Legion - they're not just chaos worshipping madmen or reavers, they're a legion reborn.

• 4 months later...

OK, finally had some good hobby time and got motivated to fix the obliterators.

Big shout out to hushrong who gave me the idea to get a green stuff cable maker to connect up the oblits.

Oblit 1

gallery_79340_15023_102458.jpg

gallery_79340_15023_92377.jpg

gallery_79340_15023_3071.jpg

Oblit 2

gallery_79340_15023_84426.jpg

gallery_79340_15023_17969.jpg

Oblit 3

gallery_79340_15023_10342.jpg

gallery_79340_15023_38038.jpg

Group shot

gallery_79340_15023_182938.jpg