Smite's black legion army. First game of 9th with BAT REP

Just spotted this thread - so much good stuff on here. 

I'm doing plenty of Chaos conversion myself so I'm scrolling down saying 'ah, wish I'd thought of that' over and over again.

Looking forwards to seeing your Hounds. I'm mostly sticking lots of random-seeming bits together to make Berserkers at the moment. 

Then finding out I'm missing bases...or backpacks...or the backs of bodies. Grr.

I'm doing plenty of Chaos conversion myself so I'm scrolling down saying 'ah, wish I'd thought of that' over and over again.

Looking forwards to seeing your Hounds. I'm mostly sticking lots of random-seeming bits together to make Berserkers at the moment. 

Then finding out I'm missing bases...or backpacks...or the backs of bodies. Grr.

Thanks mate, I've got a pretty good bits box from buying lots of random job lots. Most of the marines are from a large lot that I had to do a lot of surgery on. The kid used waaaay to much glue. I definitely need to start buying in some bits tho, I'm running out of shoulder pads and back packs.

My hounds are pretty much the regular beserkers kit but with add ons from other kits, so not hugely converted but enough different pieces to keep it all interesting. 

Sadly they won't be getting paintied just yet as I've realised I need some troops. So first I'm finishing off the Decimator and some CSM. I've also chopped up the jump pack lord and made another sorcerer from the carcass. Should have some more photos soon, hopefully 3 full finished units by the end of the week !

P.S Does anyone know how to change the thread topic? 

Edited by SmiteThemAll

OK, finally had some good hobby time and got motivated to fix the obliterators.

Big shout out to hushrong who gave me the idea to get a green stuff cable maker to connect up the oblits.

Oblit 1

gallery_79340_15023_102458.jpg

gallery_79340_15023_92377.jpg

gallery_79340_15023_3071.jpg

Oblit 2

gallery_79340_15023_84426.jpg

gallery_79340_15023_17969.jpg

Oblit 3

gallery_79340_15023_10342.jpg

gallery_79340_15023_38038.jpg

Group shot

gallery_79340_15023_182938.jpg

Great stuff, man. You know what they look like to me? Hellforged Rapiers where the daemons broke loose and absorbed the crew. Will be nice to see them painted when that happens.

Thanks mate, I've got a pretty good bits box from buying lots of random job lots. Most of the marines are from a large lot that I had to do a lot of surgery on. The kid used waaaay to much glue. I definitely need to start buying in some bits tho, I'm running out of shoulder pads and back packs.

My hounds are pretty much the regular beserkers kit but with add ons from other kits, so not hugely converted but enough different pieces to keep it all interesting. 

Sadly they won't be getting paintied just yet as I've realised I need some troops. So first I'm finishing off the Decimator and some CSM. I've also chopped up the jump pack lord and made another sorcerer from the carcass. Should have some more photos soon, hopefully 3 full finished units by the end of the week !

I see you're in the UK - I've put in a request with a bits dealer - Forbidden Gaming - to see if he can get hold of some backpacks as I can't find any anywhere. 

If that fails I'll convert some Imperial ones. If he can source some I'll let you know.

I accidentally bought a box of standard CSMs thinking they were berserkers. So all my berzerkers are based on that. I think the challenge is coming up with different poses for them; it can get repetative otherwise. A couple of mine have got double-handed weapons instead of the standard chain-aze & chainsword combo.

Looking forwards to seeing yours, as I'm going to be building my 2nd squad of berzerkers soon so I can steal your ideas!

• 4 months later...

Hey everybody!

Remember when I said I'd have 3 units ready in a week last November ?

Well that didn't happen, life flies.

Really looking forward to Vigilus ablaze, I haven't ordered any new models but I've pre ordered the Vigilus book and CSM date cards.

I think I've got enough bits to have fun making new models so no need to buy any of the models just yet.

I've had some hobby time recently and have finished two units and almost done with a third.

Decimator engine with a Soul burner petard and a hell claw.

gallery_79340_14723_759481.jpg

Love these models but they rarely survive past turn 3 for me. Might just have to get another one >_<

A bog standard CSM squad.

gallery_79340_14723_113626.jpg

I've ordered some combi bolters for all my sargents so I'll have to do some chopping soon.

Finally another Sorcerer so I can eventually field a battalion

gallery_79340_14723_616722.jpg

Out of the 18 units I plan to field currently 9 are completed, 3 are currently being painting and 6 are being assembled.

I might end up adding a few more units in after these are all done. I really need to pull my finger out as I would really like to be done with this army this year and start building something else or focusing on my Deathwing.

• 1 month later...

Got around to some painting recently after being laid low by a horrible chest infection. The only perks to being sick are painting and TV catch up!!

Sorcerer number two to fill out the second slot for a battalion.

gallery_79340_15455_153413.jpg

Then the boring part! More troops. Happy with the CSM but I don't think the cultists really fit into the army aesthetically. I wanted to go with the red robes but thought the cultists wouldn't deserve to wear the livery of the war band they are following. Maybe they look out of place because there are only 10 of them. Got another 10 to paint later when I can be bothered. Also have another 5 CSM in the works.

gallery_79340_15455_82797.jpg

Heres my battalion so far. Next I've got to paint my oblits. I'm actually really daunted by the task, even just undercoating them was hard, might have to take them apart to get in all the nooks.

gallery_79340_15455_189050.jpg

Looking forward to playing more with a fully painted army. Also might have to vow some units to this upcoming B&C painting comp.

Happy hobbying

I agree that the cultists don't really fit in with the rest of your army.  My thoughts this is because a) their blue doesn't seem to be carried across other units and b) the blue is quite bright, compared to the more somber colours on everything else.

My suggestion would be to paint the cultists in more subdued colours - perhaps a mish-mash of browns, grays and black. 

I agree that the cultists don't really fit in with the rest of your army.  My thoughts this is because a) their blue doesn't seem to be carried across other units and :cool.: the blue is quite bright, compared to the more somber colours on everything else.

My suggestion would be to paint the cultists in more subdued colours - perhaps a mish-mash of browns, grays and black. 

I think you're right regarding the colours they should be. I dived in with out really thinking about it. Sadly tho I'm really not in the mood to repaint them just yet! I think its partially because of how they play on the table and the way I think of them in the fluff. In games they are pretty much a screen that is my opponent's easy first blood and fluff I wise I don't imagine the mighty black legion needing puny mortals in their force.

What I will do for now is tolerate them on the battlefield (knowing they're getting removed by turn 2 :D) and then paint  my third squad of CSM  to fill out my battalion.

Thanks for the suggestion!

The Doctor makes a good suggestion. Also a nice wash of Nuln Oil would tone down the Cultists so that they better match your army.

Agreed, he's a Doctor after all :)

I might try the heavy wash as a stop gap until I have the desire to repaint them, cheers for the idea!

I really like the Cultists. Trust me some of mine are so old I call them the true veterans of the long war.

The thing is a bright contrast to all that black really looks nice on the tabletop. Not only that but I’ve learned over the last 10+ years of playing Cultists that the idea of them looking similar is super boring.

In fact I recommend doing a few high contrast colours for squad differentiation and giving them different cult names based on the colours. For example my Blue Cultists are the Tizcan Ghosts.

Edited by Prot

Agreed, he's a Doctor after all :smile.:

I'm not a real doctor - I just play one on the internet. :tongue.:

Since my last post, I've been having thoughts along the same line as Prot's - having the cultists in contrasting colours from your main models might work, and certainly would help differentiate squads (you could eventually, for example, have one squad in each of the gods' colours).

They are currently a bit too contrasting IMHO, and you might want to hit them with a dilute brown and/or black wash to darken them some.  You could try them on the tabletop for a bit, and come to a conclusion after you've seen your force together some - as Prot said, the contrast might help make (rather than detract from) your army's visual appeal.  Besides, having them be bright might have your opponents focus fire on them rather than on more important units. :smile.:

BTW, I forgot to say as much, but I love your sorcerer conversion.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 7 months later...

Happy new year fellow servants of chaos!!

Its been a while since I updated this thread and I have a few offerings.

I've finally finished the obliterators. Fairly happy with them, I made some mistakes, like too much wash on the tracks but hey ho they look alright on the table!

gallery_79340_16062_37054.jpg

gallery_79340_16062_73232.jpg

gallery_79340_16062_48817.jpg

gallery_79340_16062_105757.jpg

gallery_79340_16062_113381.jpg

I've also managed to almost finish 20 cultists. I'll be glad to see the back of them actually, especially after having to repaint the first ten due to poor colour selection.

gallery_79340_16062_144145.jpg

Currently finishing off some plain Jane CSM. No idea why tho as they leave a lot to be desired on the table top :biggrin.:

gallery_79340_16062_31778.jpg

The next units to build/paint are:

Some Berserkers and their rhino

gallery_79340_16062_20100.jpg

A chain lord, who's amazing chain glaive from cromlech just snapped >_<. I will have to put a sturdier handle on it !

gallery_79340_16062_117201.jpg

And finally, I'm bashing up some Lascannon havocs. I didn't have enough bayonet style bits to continue the theme I started with the auto-cannon havocs so I've gone a slightly different direction to make them stand out amongst the rank and file. Spikes on back packs instead of spikes on guns :biggrin.:

gallery_79340_16062_119212.jpg

I got

• 1 month later...

Hey all, had some good hobby time these past few weeks and managed to finish a couple of units so thought I'd share!

Some lascannon havocs

gallery_79340_15455_280409.jpg

A winged DP

gallery_79340_15455_418352.jpg

They make their debut tomorrow vs some blood angels so hopefully they don't suffer the newly painted model curse and die first turn!

Also getting there with the Beserker's Rhino

gallery_79340_15455_9359.jpg

Not quite sure what colour to paint the eyes in the middle of the big emblems. Might try to mimic an actual eye. Any thoughts?

I've also purchased a few things since my last post. I'm well on the way to finishing up another 6 bikers to have 10 in total with 2 alternating champions. I've also got my hands on a myphitic blight hauler as I intend to do a defiler conversion I've been mulling over. Fun times ahead!

Edited by SmiteThemAll

I love it... love that DP in particular. It almost looks like a bizarre kind of pit fighter look he's got going. The sort of thing where you don't want to see him without the mask. 

Thanks Prot, took me 5 or 6 attempts to get the head I was after but I'm really happy with the end result.

He got his first outing yesterday, managed to survive a full round of shooting from a storm raven then slaughtered a whole assault squad but sadly some sterngaurd ended him. Looking forward to getting him stuck into some primaris marines for sure :D

Yeah, that head is great - what piece did you use for the mask?  Whatever it is, it fits in beautifully.  My own preference for conversions is an effect that could be (or better yet, should be) an original option on the model, and yours definitely falls into the "should be" category for me.

And I'm glad to hear your deamon prince got to shine before being destroyed... mine usually isn't that fortunate. 

Yeah, that head is great - what piece did you use for the mask?  Whatever it is, it fits in beautifully.  My own preference for conversions is an effect that could be (or better yet, should be) an original option on the model, and yours definitely falls into the "should be" category for me.

And I'm glad to hear your deamon prince got to shine before being destroyed... mine usually isn't that fortunate. 

Its from the dark elder talos kit. There are tonnes of great bits in that box.

The rest of the head is one of the original daemon prince heads with the face filed down and the horns cut off, then stuck back on at a different angle.

I'm really not a fan of the daemon prince heads, no helmets or masks at all.

That would be why I didn't recognize it - don't look at dark eldar much, while I had recognised that the horns were from the original model.

And yeah, I agree that the existing daemon prince heads are kind of goofy - there's only one of them that I like, which puts me in a bit of a pinch should I build another one, as I won't want them to have the same head.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I've had a lot of time to paint and convert as I'm sure many of you have and I thought I'd share some progress.

First up we have 5 Berserkers and their ride.

gallery_79340_15455_105091.jpg

Next a CSM squad with a Lascannon

gallery_79340_15455_117610.jpg

3 More bikers. I'm hoping to have a squad of 9 to experiment with when we get back to gaming!

gallery_79340_15455_74389.jpg

I've also had this defiler conversion on my brain for ages ever since I got a job lot with a broken defiler in it. It had been glued together with more glue than I thought possible so I hacked it up and added some nurgle bits.

So here's my Nurgle defiler

gallery_79340_15455_28882.jpg

gallery_79340_15455_11716.jpg

gallery_79340_15455_93909.jpg

Next on the painting station are 5 Berserkers and 3 more bikes. Although I'm very excited to paint the defiler so I might skip ahead!

gallery_79340_15455_99241.jpg

Happy hobbying folk !

These look great! Great conversion for the Defiler and head swap on the Demon Prince. How did the game vs the Blood Angels go?

Game was very close and exciting.We played the mission Lockdown from chapter approved which I highly recommend.

Daemon prince managed to wither a full round of shooting from a storm raven and then fly off and murder a full assault squad before being ended by some sterngaurd.

I lost the game after failing to kill 2 tactical marines left holding his last objective. It was very enjoyable tho, probably the most fun I've had playing 40K in recent times. I had more units left but he played the mission smarter. Lesson learned for next time !