Using a Leviathan?

Brutal. Sorry to be “that guy”, but three of them DSing and using WoTA would make a killer detachment. Surprised I haven’t really heard of them featuring in tournaments, seems like a great unit (either individually or in a detachment).

Like all undercosted and spammed FW units, they'll eventually be used in tournaments (unless there's an efficient counter I'm not seeing) and then eventually be recosted to something more...fair.
Leviathan is relic so you need a second heavy support for each choice. He is also very expensive and can be locked into combat. Once this happens you rely on having 2-4 attacks only. His weakness is that he can be locked or swarmed by boys/bloodletter/genestealers etc. It need to be protected like tanks.

I don't think the issue is finding enough heavy support options since the Rapier is a thing.

Secondary to that, the power of DSing those Levis comes less from getting closer and more from protecting against alpha.

Finally, it's important to also remember that this is a Leviathan with access to mission tactics and doctrines.

I think that makes them very, very powerful options for DW in particular, even with a Rapier tacked onto the cost.

3 Levis with stormcannons is 927 points - so should be able to fit under your 50% power level. Yeah some armies will still have enough to tie them up in combat, but by the time you soften them up with the other 50% of your army, then drop your mission tactic, wisdom of the ancients, doctrines, etc you will kill hundreds of points worth on the drop, and then if they’ve still got nearby units left then you’ve got solid overwatch (including the heavy flamers) to help with a few more numbers.

3 Levi’s, 3 rapiers and 2 captains will get you to 1300 points. Make it a BA and a DW mix and you’ve almost tripled your CP pool with the Veritas Vitae and DW warlord. Gives you about 700 points to muck around with and get extra CPs or firepower or even a screen for your dreads if you need one. Could be worth a shot, would love to hear someone’s experience if they ever try something similar.

As for the question about librarians and psychic defence, I would say that a librarian will do almost as little as none. If you ever get a deny off it’s just a great bonus, definitely not worth going out of your way for. If you don’t have a good use for his powers, definitely don’t just take him for defence. That’s my experience anyway.

If your going for more than 1 then your going to need a power fist and due to various restrictions and points sink I'd look over the knight codex either a single distract double weapons big boy or 3 of the little auto cannon jobbies.

Problem with the big boy is he'll suck command points.

@Lemondish.

Without a doubt the leviathan dreadnought is a great unit. However I was pointing out his weakness that you need to take into account. I would always teleport it behind a screen of some sort like an intercessor unit with aggressors/inceptor. This way you have both weight of dice and strong attacks for heavy targets and a buffer that is pretty strong on overwatch to eat the charge. Your opponent don’t need to kill the leviathan, just tie him up repeatedly in combat and he is useless.

@superwill.

Be careful about mixing detachement. The forgeworld relic works per detachement so the extra heavy support needs to be in the same detachement. You have to field those 3 leviathan in a spearhead with the rapiers.

Archived