Is White Dwarf Magazine worth it?

Triszin

To be fair though, when I open up old white dwarfs or my copy of "how to make wargames terrain" I see a load of (very well made) reimagined coke cans, polystyrene packing and the like. Which was great at the time but now I can buy a plastic gw building I don't really want to make my own. I used to use the polystyrene inserts metal gw models came packed in, re made into ruins.

What would be good is articles on how to make things the realm of battle board doesn't do so well - for example I've got a necromunda board which at its base has celotex rigid foam insulation into which you can carve passageways etc - I'm not too sure I'm that nostalgic for cocktail stick cactus plants though!

I started buying it again about 4-5 months ago but honestly I hardly read it. To much AoS for my liking and I’m really not into AoS at all. I think Julys copy is gonna be cover to cover of it too what with 2.0 out last week.

I suppose you have to decide what your into mate and go from there.

Yeah if they had a dedicated 40k and 30k related magazine I'd get it, but the Age of Sigmar and Lord of the Rings stuff I don't care about at all (though I like many of the minis, I'm no going to get them)

And white dwarf gets heavy on the aos and tlotr stuff like how Netflix is importing forign TV shows from Mexico, Portugal and such...it's like "yo...I got Netflix to see movies and native English speaking tv shows the :cuss is this Telemundo noise?" I'm seriously getting cable TV flashbacks of a whole lot of stuff I don't care about.

• 2 weeks later...

With the advent of the internet... Not really.

Only reason otherwise would be for a hardcopy of any exclusive rules, but they're usually much easier to find online for free and it's another book t carry around.......

out of curiosity, when does the white dwarf magazine usually deliver?

im on the east coast of the states fyi.

Usually tuesdays iirc but latest should be the day before it comes to the stores which is always the first friday of the month. Unless it got delayed for some reason that is.

out of curiosity, when does the white dwarf magazine usually deliver?

im on the east coast of the states fyi.

Usually tuesdays iirc but latest should be the day before it comes to the stores which is always the first friday of the month. Unless it got delayed for some reason that is.

cool, so I figure I might not be getting this months because I signed up for it this month.

I'll keep an eye out for next month

IIRC if you order by the 13th of the month, you will start your subscription with that month's issue. After the 13th, you start with the following month. You can double check that on the GW website White Dwarf subscription page. Hope that helps.

edited for stupid fingers can't type

IIRC if you order by the 13th of the month, you will start your subscription with that month's issue. After the 13th, you start with the following month. You can double check that on the GW website White Dwarf subscription page. Hope that helps.

edited for stupid fingers can't type

oh, so I might be getting a white dwarf for this month then.  I ordered it on the 7th

I wish they did publish two separate magazines mate. One for the futuristic stuff and one for the fantasy stuff. I’d buy the futuristic mag every month then.

I get that but I can’t help but think about the last time they split the magazine up for different hobbyist tastes....

I’m actually going to re-subscribe. While the digital was more convenient and probably better value for money, I still find myself reading it almost cover to cover. I do find there are problems with balanced content in some issues (I have zero interest in Blood Bowl, for example, so any magazine with that becomes less interesting) but I think as a year long product it becomes worthwhile.

I stopped collecting WD years ago, about when GW stopped putting unique content in the magazine. Have occasionally purchased a copy with a interesting article, but since the rules content is just a copy/paste from a book I was already getting, WD just became superfluous.

If they start producing unique content again, I’d start collecting it again. Right now? Not really worth it to me.

SJ

Archived