Jolemai

Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Inceptor Squad
sml_gallery_62972_11847_2971.jpg
Inceptor Squad, Karhedron

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Inceptor Squad?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Combat Squads?
  • Footslog or Meteroric Descent?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Can you use Crushing Charge to your advantage?
  • What weapon choice do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai

Alright that's an easy one.

Whether you take the bolter or the plasma variant really doesn't matter much. Both are really strong. Drop them in and delete a unit. Don't expect them to survive THAT much retaliation tho. I mostly used them as kinda suicide unit that sometimes survives the retaliation and then continues to annoy or sneakily capture an objective or tie up some shooty unit for a turn.

Also don't forget to drop a Captain together with them if you go with Plasma or you'll kill your own models and lose quite a lot firepower without the enemy having to do anything!

I've used both Bolter-ceptors and Plasma-ceptors and have been THRILLED with their success. 

Their mortal wound buff is really nice, but I believe it tempts players to put them far closer than they should be.  I think they play an incredible harassment role, and should be deployed at their furthest range, and shoot and scoot around and into the lines, if need be.  

The load out will strongly depend on your meta, but in most tournaments I would possibly go plasma. 

I use them quite frequently like we normally use DC: drop, wipe infantry, pray to stay alive.

A few more things for though:

They can benefit from te FNP banner, like all primaris this helps a lot with their survival.

As JP troops you can wing of fire 1st turn even under FAQ beta rules. Great way to get first strike. With forlorn fury they can also have captain buff, or DC blob as friends but that a lot of risks to take.

With 10 pl they are expensive to put in reserves with new FAQ but the help a lot of they start on table. A squad of 4 gives enough PL for 10 sanguinary guard as reserve for instance. Be sure to deploy out of LOS until you wing of fire.

If one of them survived they can make an apothecary look cost effective with a bit of luck.

The plasma variant have 12 plasma shots for 177 points. This is really hard to beat as far as a glass cannon can do. Also if you drop them close, the -1 to hit tactics won’t affect them.

They are infantry, so drop them as often as possible in cover/ building.

They are massive bullet magnet.

They were hit pretty hard by the beta rules, but are still solid.

Just a note, if your not planning on over charging the plasma version, the bolter variant is more cost effective.

If your planning on them having a reroll 1 aura though, over charged plasma is of course the most effective.

Plasma Inceptors are amazing. Drop them in with a captain and delete a threat. I like to keep my unit sizes small to take advantage of cover and LOS blocking terrain, and then you can use Upon wings of fire to strike anywhere else on the board if they survive the next turn. They usually make their points back and then some. 

They were hit pretty hard by the beta rules, but are still solid.

Other than dropping them in the enemies face turn one, I can't see how?

They have 18" range guns so can drop well out of the 9" denial bubble easily.

Both the power level restrictions and the inability to land turn 1.

I used to use a squad of 4 with bolters to clear screening units turn 1, along with a unit of DC with chainswords, to clear the way for captain/2nd unit of DC with hammers.

Waiting till turn 2 basically killed that tactic.

But a plasma squad replacing one of the melee units for target deletion is still great.

I recall one time where I had a squad of three with bolters and a 10 man DC charge a wounded Magnus. He took attacks from both units and a single wound from the inceptor charge ability, and died (not in that order). The guy I was playing had never heard of the ability, and after I showed it to him from the book I replied "Its only useful when :cuss has hit the fan." Won me the game and everything. 

I really like the unit, but the charge ability is best described as "For when you have literally no other other choice but to charge in."

Before you ask, The charge ability did 1 mortal wound, the DC caused 12 wounds, and then the Inceptors caused one more ( the last one). He failed his save, and had already used the reroll earlier in the phase. Also he was standing on the one objective that I could win the game with. Captain Slam caused the remaining wounds earlier in the game, but I had terrible rolling earlier.

Edited by Jolemai
Swear filter dodge

• 3 years later...

I am a big fan of a 5-man squad of Inceptors with Plasma. Drop them in T2 within range of a juicy target and use Descent of Angels to allow them to hit on a 2+. If you have a Jump Pack Captain leading them, rerolling 1s allows them to overcharge in reasonable safety and the amount of hits they generate is incredible.

Pricey of course but very effective and I have had the squad roll up whole flanks. Canny opponents will try and screen but you have at least 1 turn to try and clear a landing space for them. Also, unlike melee units, they only need to get within 18" of their victims, not 9".

I am a big fan of a 5-man squad of Inceptors with Plasma. Drop them in T2 within range of a juicy target and use Descent of Angels to allow them to hit on a 2+. If you have a Jump Pack Captain leading them, rerolling 1s allows them to overcharge in reasonable safety and the amount of hits they generate is incredible.

Pricey of course but very effective and I have had the squad roll up whole flanks. Canny opponents will try and screen but you have at least 1 turn to try and clear a landing space for them. Also, unlike melee units, they only need to get within 18" of their victims, not 9".

I’ve only used mine once so far but they managed to finish off the cannon half of a thunderfire cannon and then waxed the tech proper as well.

10/10 would recommend

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect, but I'm starting a new unit to paint and I wanted to make sure I will be using them after I pa9int them. So Karhedron you're saying even with the recent point nerf these guys are still worthy?

Thanks.

Yes, I think they are still worth it and recent codex releases have reaffirmed that. Ork Boyz going to T5 now gives Plasmaceptors even more value of the bolter variant, even against 1W targets. Against Orky vehicles, Overcharging is great as S8 bypasses the Ramshackle rule allowing you force full damage through. Druhkari Transports are also vulnerable due to 2D and high RoF.

They require a bit of care and support as they have no melee capability and only average toughness. But what they do have is buckets of firepower and the speed and deployment options to make that count.

The current price of a Plasmaceptor is 60ppm IIRC so a 5-man squad will set you back 300 points but they will delete a wide range of targets and are hard to hide from.