Question about Reserves and their limitations after deployme

Fishpits

Hey guys,

Have a question for you regarding reserves.

I am using Alpha Legion Forward Operatives stratagem and my friend uses space marine scout.

Say we both set up our units before the first turn begins; rules and faq states that units arriving from reserve cannot move on the turn they arrive but can shoot/charge/etc.

Does this apply to our units that set up before the first turn begins? I.e. can our units not move on turn 1?

My idea was to use Forward Operatives stratagem on a unit of raptors with meltas and sorcerer with jump pack, set them up more than 9" away from his tanks and behind LOS blocking terrain, then move 12" on turn 1, prescience then warptime them for another 12" move, get them within 6" of a tank, veterans of the long war, shoot the tank/ use endless cacophony then if the tank gets destroyed charge another tank/his devastators. Then retreat the sorcerer back to the main army next turn.

Thanks for the help!

Forward Operatives aren't reserves.  Units using that stratagem are unaffected by the Deep Strike changes as they are not deep striking.  Your plan is 100% legal.

FYI: Scouts are setup during normal deployment anywhere on the table more than 12" from the enemy deployment zone.  As this happens before Forward Operators are deployed Scouts are quite useful for forcing FO'ing units almost entirely back to your deployment zone.

Oh awesome, good to know! And I'll make sure to leave out that last bit so my friend doesn't know haha jk :)

If Forward Operatives doesn't count as reserves does this mean I could theoretically use it on my entire list (assuming enough CP's) or do I have to maintain the 50/50 rule of on the board power levels while deploying?

Yeah, Forward Operatives counts towards the requirement to deploy at least half your units on the table during deployment because they're not deployed on the table during deployment. They are set up however before the first turn, so aren't subject to the deployment zone restriction, and can move etc. as usual.

Archived