Discussion of AL Fanfiction and fluff

DeRome90

Hey there,

first I want to apologize if this is the wrong spot for the post (@ Mods: if possible, please move this to the right section).

I got addicted to a really great fanfiction story about an Alpha Legion force that remained loayl till the 41st millennium, are very skillful and they have some great toys.:ph34r.: :tongue.:

The name of the story is "Shadow of Doubt" and I found it at www.fanfiction.net . Unfortunately, the story vanished from the side and I cannot find it anywhere else. 

If anyone want to talk about this story or knows why it vanished or where I can continue to follow the story, please post it. :happy.:

EDIT: I already found the story ( https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12964099/1/Shadow-of-a-Doubt ). It is a great read for loyal Alpha Legionnaires. I Changed the topic title to keep this thread going and invite others to discuss the fluff of the Alpha Legion and the Fanfiction Shadow of a Doubt, and maybe more.

Hail,

Thanks for the post on this story. I just skimmed through chs. 1-14 on fanfiction.net and plan to read it at length this weekend..... looks quite good. The title is actually 'Shadow of a Doubt' and it looks quite good. I wouldn't mind discussing this at all.... I just need the weekend to read through it. Real life is such a bother, interfering with more enjoyable things:wink:

Is it up again? Unfortunately I had no link and was always only looking at the list of stories in the Warhammer section, where it vanished. I was also not able to find It with the search feature, but maybe because I forgot the “a” before “Doubt”:wacko.:

I think the fact that there are still elements that are loyal to the Imperial Truth in the 41st millennium is awesome.

It may have just recently been reposted..... perhaps as a result of your search:happy.: I just used the title you posted and it came up. Sooo…… I'm going to read it at length tomorrow and I'll be well armed to discuss it:wink: I used to have only a passing interest in the AL. Dan Abnett's Legion really peaked my interest, especially since it more than hints that AL may still have been loyal:dry.:

Looking forward to discussing it with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I've really dropped the ball on this. I'm about half way through the story. What I've read has been very interesting. Been so busy lately, I've only been able to read in few minute bites.

Plan on finishing the story this morning, but so far I'm in total agreement on all counts with you. It is definitely a very fine read so far.

Let me give you my view so far on the Alpha Legion. In the beginning of my foray into the 40Kverse I was fascinated by AL as a Chaos army..... Chaos with a black ops twist just really interesting. Then Dan Abnett came along with Legion, and that totally blew me away. Had Alpharius and Omegon gone underground to do the Emperor's work in the shadows???..... hmmmm:happy.: As time went on and more HH books and short stories came out with AL at the center I hoped for more details, but what I got were more questions. Now I love a good mystery and I love a good mysterious Legion back story. When it comes to this I'm usually pretty adamant about not wanting to know too much, but in this case I'll make an exception. Who's side are they on? Have they become factioned? Is one side chaos and one side loyal to the throne?

As far as story telling goes, I don't have a problem with this. I'm happy to just sit back and see how it all unfolds (or doesn't), but don't expect me to play. That's just me.... I'm straight up and down that way.... I need to know who's side I'm on if I'm going to participate. I am however glad that not everybody feels this way or there would not be cool AL fan stories like this or cool AL armies like the ones we see in the B&C forums:yes:

So, there you go.... that's me. I don't want to take this too far off the topic and I'll get right back to the story in my next post. So where do you stand on the AL back story so far? Are you comfortable with all the mystery?

First of all, sry fot the late reply. I'm still on vaccation.

I also apologize for spelling mistakes... I'm still on the road and have no programm on my phone to check for any mistakes ^^

I'm still missing a lot of the stories of the HH Alpha Legion, so I can't talk about the whole picture/background, but I really like the Alpha Legion of the old times... nearly as much as the IV Legion . But this fan fiction convinced me to start a small AL strike force.

Currently I think that Alpharius/Omegon did split their Legion so that they are able to secure the survival of humanity in one way or another. And the way the book Legion and this fan fiction describes the stand alone mentality of AL cells work for this theory. I have some more stories in the backlog, so maybe I can find some more clues for the real agenda of the Twin Primarchs.

Right now there are a little bit too many mysteries around the AL. It gets a bit confussing... but then again, we are talking about the Hydra .

Currently I would like to see an over the top story where some AL infiltrate Legions of both sides and cripple them all at the same time to start something big. Don't think that there will be such a story, maybe I can find some time to try it myself... but I'm not so positiv about that with all the work I have to do ATM

Greetings Brother,

No worries about the late reply or any spelling errors (there were spelling errors??:huh.:). Although English is my native language, I still only have a working knowledge of it.

This was a very interesting story and a delightful read. I do think much more can be done with it. I see it as a excellent first draft for a very long short story or a short novella worthy of the Black Library. You're right about the story fitting in well with the stand alone cell idea of the AL.

The idea that Alpharius and Omegon split the Legion to ensure the survival of humanity definitely has merit. I've also seen it posted more than once that Alpharius was eventually corrupted by Chaos but Omegon was not. I've seen no official fluff on this, but it is an interesting idea. I know that Dan Abnett was privy to some of the "secret" Alpha Legion lore before writing Legion, but I'm not sure if any other writers have been before penning AL stories. I suspect that they too are independent cells, operating without any real knowledge of the loyalties of their superiors:unsure.: It's sort of like (during the Cold War) working for the KGB/GRU while thinking that you're working for the CIA. As a old Cold Warrior myself that idea just drives me nuts..... but that's just me:biggrin.:

You've got a good idea there about AL infiltrating Legions from both sides and creating mayhem. That could be over-the-top hilarious. Hope you get around to it.... but I understand and sympathize with you. I've got many ideas and projects and too little time myself.

Well.... once again I digressed. I promise that my next post will be fully on topic.

Ave Imperator (???) Brother,

the issue with my knowledge of English is maybe the second reason why I never wrote a Fanfiction (while not having time is the main reason). How can I write a readable story in English when my girlfriend always lectures me for my mistakes in my mother tonuge? :biggrin.: But I would be happy to discuss my idea with you and maybe some other readers in this topic.

I also noticed that there are some rumours that Omegon schemed against his twin brother, just like you mentioned it.

Don't worry about any detours you thought you made... I will change the title of the topic, so that we might get some more fellow AL agents to discuss this Fanfiction and the AL background in general. :wink:

• 5 weeks later...

Hey there,

in the few minutes of free time I currently have, I thought about the mentioned story of infiltrating other Legions. There I got to some kind of a dead end. The Thousand Sons are full of psykers and so their mind examination process should be by far better than the one of other Legions. So how should the Hydra install operatives in this Legion? Every lie or mind manipulation of a recruite would be for naught.

Do you have any suggestions?

How about a "sleeper" agent with a blocked personality that can be activated with a signal or trigger phrase. This would have to be an agent with a specialized task as he would probably be detected and neutralized in fairly short order. Until activated, the agent would be completely unaware of his actual allegiance or mission. The core personality of the agent would be dormant until summoned. Once triggered, the surface personality is destroyed and the core personality surfaces...… just an idea:unsure.:

….. Well, I'm back to this very interesting topic. Sorry for the long absence. I had a death in the family that consumed most of my time and brain matter, but I'm back now:wink:

Cheers

No problem, I'm sad to hear that. My sincere condolences!

I also thought about a sleeper, but wouldn't a psyker notice such a twist in the mind? I am pretty sure that the programming of a sleeper agent would alter his brainwaves respectively his mind in a certain way. But if this is still okay with you (and maybe another silent reader of this topic) I might try it.

Best regards!

Greetings brother and thanks for your condolences.

The short answer is "no".:dry.: ….. Okay, long answer it is. There would not be any alteration in brainwaves or twist in the mind and there is no warp taint. The core personality is totally passive until activated. It is totally submerged beneath the active surface personality. Because it is passive, it cannot be detected except by very deep scan which would more than likely cause brain damage. Once you get to that point you are in an interrogation setting and the game is over anyway.

The sleeper personality is based on a multiple personality disorder model. The agent is totally unaware of who he actually is so he would pass routine security scans.

• 2 weeks later...

Brother Kraine, you should definitely dust this story off, because it's a real gem:thumbsup:  I must respectfully disagree with some of my fraters who felt that the beginning was a bit slow. I feel that it is a perfect prologue to a novella. It just begs for a longer story to be told, set into a setting that this "story" paints. 

If I have any criticism it's a very small.... This of course is just my opinion, but I would edit down the description of the entrance of the Alpha legionnaire to simply stepping out of the shadows (almost as if he was always there). I think that use of the transporter would set off security alarms all over the planet and explaining why it wouldn't would add superfluous detail.

Once again it's all just my opinion, but I think you should sit down with this story and reread it, and think about adding something even bigger and cooler than what you already have:yes:

@Brother Lunkhead: no haste. I am also quite occupied at the moment. :wacko.: 

@Brother Kraine: this sounds like a great start for a fan fiction. Like Brother Lunkhead, I also don't think that the beginning was slow for an intro. But for further chapters you might speed things a little bit up. Your first chapter set the place and described everything you needed to know about the operation area, now you can start with the action :teehee: :wink: 

To be honest, I don't agree with Brother Lunkheads idea with the entrance of the Legionnaire. For the beginning the entrance of the Legionnaire was completely okay. The sudden appearance out of the shadows would be better at another, more crucial, time.

Archived