Old old old time 40K fan - recently returned...

Portman

Hi All,

I thought I’d better say hello as I’ve just recently joined the forum.

I’ve been interested in all things Warhammer 40K since the late 80’s and the days of Rouge Trader. I’ve not played all that time, but I’ve always been an avid fan of the culture and the world of 40K. I used to be a long time subscriber of WD in the days of Andy Chambers and Jervis Johnson’s battle reports (I’m still amazed that I remember their names actually) and I’ve always been a fan of the Black Library.

I actually started out in gaming many many years ago by playing Space Crusade (I know I know, but we did combine 3 sets and re-wrote a lot of the rules) and moved up to 40K proper, however I’ve not played since the days of the 3rd edition and stopped reading WD about 2002. I played a few other standalone games but the one thing I always wanted to play and never got around to was Space Hulk (I really must do so one day). I used to play mainly my own DIY Chapter of Space Marines, and Space Wolves.

Having that time out in the wilderness and then coming back to it all now - I can see a LOT has changed – the artwork, the painting styles, the paint system – wow how different. I’m not sure I like all of it but one thing I have noticed is how detailed the plastic kits are – I have a Space Marine Terminator Captain built up ready for paint and its proper stunning!

I’ve recently decided to try and get back into the hobby in a little way as a bit of a change from building real world models (if that’s what you call em – y’know, spitfires etc. ) that I’ve been playing around with for the past eight years.  So far I’ve picked up the afore mentioned Captain and a few older 2nd/3rd edition style Terminators, Marines and Dreadnought. I’ll probably go down the modelling route more the gaming, but saying that I’ve also recently picked up a copy of the 3rd Edition Rule Book, and a MINT copy of Rouge Trader – so you never know.

One thing I do know though is my figure painting is crap – so I apologise in advance if I ask a lot of stupid questions, but I’ve always been envious of you guys that can paint miniatures well and I’ve decided it’s high time to learn how to do it myself.

So, I’m glad to be here, and I’m looking forward to chatting to you all.

Cheers!

Stuart

I’ll shut up now…

Thanks for the warm reception Gents! 

Welcome to the B&C :smile.: Have you decided what Marine force you fancy?

Also and if I may ask, why a copy of the 3rd edition BRB?

I don't mind you asking at all - I bought a copy of the 3rd edition as a pure bit of Nostalgia. I'd played previously to that, but the 3rd edition was the one that I really started to take seriously. I built up a proper gaming table for myself, my brother and his mates, and made a fair bit of decent terrain to go with it. They were all a lot younger than me but I basically set up a small gaming club for them in an effort to get them off their PCs. If I were going to take up playing again seriously (and with how things are with my wife at the moment - who's to say that won't happen :ermm: ),  I would indeed buy the 8th edition and get with the program (actually I might at some point anyway). 

As for a force - I don't really know yet. I might try and paint up a few of the classic chapters to see what I like, and I have always liked the Ultramarines of old as I liked their adherence to the Codex, and that blue is cool - but I would like to revisit the warriors of Fenris at some point. 

Cheers! 

Welcome back brother, here is a bolter and 5 magazines. Now get to your station.

Don't worry about considering yourself a less than great painter or asking questions, this forum is probably THE best place to ask questions.

I came back to the hobby last year and stole a load of tricks and tips from good forumites by asking a lot of questions :)

• 4 months later...

This forum has made me better as a modeller and painter than I would have been without it. Ask. Look. There is so much information here you could drown in it. Have to focus on what you want and how to get there, you'll pick up on the more esoteric techniques as you go. I have been back in the Hobby for only a few years after an 11 year hiatus and I'm only scratching the surface.

also literally a half dozen YouTube videos last month or so made my brother shockingly good compared to his out put a decade ago when he last painted.

Archived