New to Tau, could use some help

Joukernaut

Hello fellow followers of the greater good,

I recently  picked up a fairly large collection of T'au (around 4000 points) from a friend who no longer wanted them.

I'm looking to update the paint job of a 2000 point army, since this is what I usually play and I don't allow myself to play unpainted models.

Now I'm wondering if anyone can give a guideline how many marker lights are recommended in an army.

The idea I now have is running 2 cadre fire blades, 3 foresight marksmen and 3 squads of 5 pathfinders. This would let me light up at least 2 units a turn until the pathfinders are deleted, and after that a very high chance to keep lighting up 1 squad, since I'll be running Sa'cea sept. This would come in just over 300 points.

Would that still leave me enough points to get some decent firepower in my list or would you recommend spending less points on marker lights and more on firepower?

Easy answer is try to get markerlights where you can convieniently fit them in your list or need to take them anyway.

E.g. with the 1 commander limit per detachment i usually take a fireblade in each battallion anyway.

If im using sniper drones i may as well use marksmen, if im using snipers i also want a character to hide near them with drone controller, so use an XV84

I like borkan and pulse rifles with a pulse accelerator drone so take 1 squad of 5 pathfinders. Otherwise theyre probaby my least fav. Option for ML

I im using breachers, ive taken to using a droneport to ferry them with a fireblade and 4 marker drones

If im trying a seeker missile alpha strike thing skyrays are ideal and have high BS markerlightd with skyfire

The uplink stratagem saves so many bad rolls, the sacea one is good to and can give your sniper drones reroll 1s against a pesky character

In my 2000pts I have two units of 5 Pathfinders, 4 units of 5 Firewarriors with a Shas'ui with Markerlight in each, and 2 Cadre Fireblades. Plus you have the Strategem, I'd suggest using it alongside one of the Fireblades as they have the best chance of hitting their target. 

Archived