Wrath and Glory: Play By Post New Blood, Hopefully?

Hello all.

So with Wrath and Glory due to release hopefully by the end of GenCon, or, by August 15, 2018, what are people's thoughts on the expanded range of playable races, classes, and character types, considering that there have been some mentioned builds that better reflect the increased scope of the BnC?

If you are looking forward to any specific playstyle, character build, options, or other subjects, by all means, this thread is meant to be something of a litmus test on my part to see what the interest level from those that have never played before are finding to be their draw to what may be one of the most well made and well rounded RPG core books in quite some time.

Put simply:

With the pending release of Wrath and Glory,..

What are you looking forward to, in terms of playable options?

What are you curious about as far as quality, replay value, party diversity, etc.?

In short, what interests you about Wrath and Glory?

Feedback please.

I'm curious to see how well the mixed party concept works. I'm very, very sceptical about it and just about everything I've heard from people who played the free adventure, it works about as poorly as expected. The main issue is ye olde chestnut of Space Marines breaking the game's combat when paired with non-Space Marines. Now, a lot of people will say "but that's how it should be!" but in practice that doesn't make for an especially fun experience for anybody but the Space Marine player.

I'm more interested in the fluff regarding the Dark Imperium considering it's been utilised as little more than a plot device to make Gulliman and the Primaris look BADASS by traversing and surviving it. Having somebody whom isn't GW flesh it out will be pretty refreshing if done well.

I'd like to reply here too - I have to say, my main reservations line up with Lord Marshal, above.  I don't think the mixed bag is very effective - have seen this in Black Crusade, the Marines just outperform and to match them the mortals sometimes get overwhelmed by how the GM has to balance encounters to challenge them.  Just bumping up a guardsman to level 3 isn't going to work so well, no matter how they insist it's "awesome" by putting a fresh coat of blurb on it.

I think it's interesting in scope and from a lore perspective and gives a lot of people Only War/Black Crusade/Deathwatch 2.0 all in one pack with the new fluff, but I am not a huge fan of the D6 pool system and dislike the fact that Fate Points or Wrath (Ruin) and Glory as they exist now, are not discrete - OTOH though, I can see why they did that in order to prevent stockpiling.

Pros: All races will be available in one place (hopefully) so the GM can get what they need for encounters, GM has a scaling system, lots of variety for the player, it's new so everyone can learn it together.

Cons: As above.

I think though the best way is to launch a playthrough of the adventure in here and see who puts their hand up.

I hope that is of some use - please forgive me if I rambled a bit - still trying to get my head around it.

MR.

Thanks for the great posts.

I personally get how most are expecting to encounter C/SM characters in the grand scheme of things. Not being allowed to play any form of Astartes until their minimum rank is met by the rest of the party seems wise, however, there is the fact that not all parties will want to wait to have a solid tank until that point in time. Still, in the overall play situation, I can see Astartes charging in too far, while at others there's the very concerning point that without proper balance, i.e. an Astartes only party, one Astartes can throw the balance completely out of whack.

Don't get me wrong; I love Astartes. The problem is, if one party member wants an Astartes too early, depending upon where the balance point is for a mixed party, well, the problems will likely just compound themselves as time goes on within the game...

Don't get me wrong; I love Astartes. The problem is, if one party member wants an Astartes too early, depending upon where the balance point is for a mixed party, well, the problems will likely just compound themselves as time goes on within the game...

We all do brother! :)

I concur completely.  What may be the best idea is something I learned from my Inquisitor (54mm!) days - and that is to GM modify the Marine from the ground up, sometimes only allowing scout armour.  A tweak here or there can alter balance a little and then offset further with challenges against the player - not their character.

Only problem is to hurt the Marine, you need weapons that may kill everyone else, which could make it interesting...(trying not to repeat myself or bore you to death) those really are my only ideas to be fair - as I don't know what the system looks like fully.

Essentially as soon as I get my hands on a new ruleset, I tear it to pieces, treat it as GM Guidance and write loads of house-rules.  I think this is the best way to go.

MR.

We all do brother! :smile.:

I concur completely.  What may be the best idea is something I learned from my Inquisitor (54mm!) days - and that is to GM modify the Marine from the ground up, sometimes only allowing scout armour.  A tweak here or there can alter balance a little and then offset further with challenges against the player - not their character.

Only problem is to hurt the Marine, you need weapons that may kill everyone else, which could make it interesting...(trying not to repeat myself or bore you to death) those really are my only ideas to be fair - as I don't know what the system looks like fully.

Essentially as soon as I get my hands on a new ruleset, I tear it to pieces, treat it as GM Guidance and write loads of house-rules.  I think this is the best way to go.

MR.

LOL MR, you should see my copies of most Palladium Game books... So, so, soooooo many notes in pencil scribbled into the margins on most of the pages.... I actually got it to the point where the system was totally balanced, and balanced well.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the pointt of this new RPG is to make it so. "You can play what ever race you want in agreement with the players/GM around you"

You want to all play Blood Axe mercenaries working for the imperium? You can do it!

You want to all play Space marines during the Badab war? You can do it

You want to play a deprived space opera as Dark Eldar Pirates? You can do it.

I don't think the intent of this is to play space marines while I'm playing a rattling. The intent is to play based on a small snippet of time within the great vastness of the imperium.

Of course there are going to be cracked teams formed together between SM/AM/Eldar fighting the good fight in order to defeat Chaos but that is what the GM is for. I cannot wait for this rule set to come out and hope I can get into a game on these forums with other dedicated likeminded players!!

Krash

hope I can get into a game on these forums with other dedicated likeminded players!!

Krash

I would very much like to see some more action on this forum! I would think that it would be possible for a group to play through the Blessings Unheralded campaign with the sample characters if they were so inclined! 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the more frequent critiques of the Wrath and Glory book is the relatively poor editing job.

The company is German, the book is in English, for us.

I think there is in fact reason to believe that the issue arose through translation, and the possible differences between US English and UK English.

Well at least it's keeping the trend of poor editing jobs when it comes to WH / WH40k RPG books then...:rolleyes:

Not a good sign...

The real question is, how is the layout?

Deathwatch/Black Cursade/Rouge Trader/ Dark Heresy all have atrocious layouts... Often what you need is found in one tiny sidebar in a completely unrelated section of the book....

*Enters forum hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the start up of a W&G campaign*

*Sees Steel and Karack talking like the gentlefolk they are*

*Eyes the dysfunctional Editing Job slouching in the corner trying to go unnoticed.*

*Sees the Editing as the same schmo who has forced serveral hours of tortured commentary*

*Hears Steel say "Deathwatch/Black Cursade/Rouge Trader/ Dark Heresy all have atrocious layouts... Often what you need is found in one tiny sidebar in a completely unrelated section of the book...." *

Son, hold my beer.

:cool.: 

MR.

*Enters forum hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the start up of a W&G campaign*

*Eyes the dysfunctional Editing Job slouching in the corner trying to go unnoticed.*

*Sees the Editing as the same schmo who has forced serveral hours of tortured commentary*

*Hears Steel say "Deathwatch/Black Cursade/Rouge Trader/ Dark Heresy all have atrocious layouts... Often what you need is found in one tiny sidebar in a completely unrelated section of the book...." *

Son, hold my beer.

MR.

*takes a sip* This'll be good...:biggrin.:

You sure that sip is wise? He, or his ghost, will want that beer back. Valhall does not take kindly to such things...

Son, hold my beer.

MR.

*takes a sip* This'll be good...:biggrin.:

You sure that sip is wise? He, or his ghost, will want that beer back. Valhall does not take kindly to such things...

I'll take my chances.

The Emperor favors the bold after all.

I won't have a ghost, I'm going to live forever.  Steel consider that beer a donation.

In all sincerity the best way to sort this is gather together as a group, similar to the way Mol corralled us all with an OOC and IC thread, where we hashed out a lot of ideas.

I know other voices asked Mol if he could GM, might be an idea to follow his lead?

Do you fancy launching a playthrough Karack?

MR.

I won't have a ghost, I'm going to live forever.  Steel consider that beer a donation.

In all sincerity the best way to sort this is gather together as a group, similar to the way Mol corralled us all with an OOC and IC thread, where we hashed out a lot of ideas.

I know other voices asked Mol if he could GM, might be an idea to follow his lead?

Do you fancy launching a playthrough Karack?

MR.

Once I get the book, and either read, or get lost and I hope eventually find my way back out, I will know better how to answer this question.

Archived