House Argent - Imperial Knight WIP

++Begin Transmission++

Stepping into the black robe, barely cold from his father's tenure, now High King Uriel Argent thought of his time as Heir Apparent, leading hunts through the dense forests of Pandemonium alongside his dearest friend, soon-to-be Sir Kane Swift. This time was over. Now he would lead a hunt, with mutant, heretic and xenos in place of mountain lions; his knight, Iron Flame, in place of his steed; and soon responsibility in place of freedom, though not just yet.

As is tradition for the newly crowned high kings of House Argent, Uriel marked his ascension to the throne by the declaration of an new crusade, with himself at the fore. Designed to be the last release for the high king, before settling into his position as Ruler of the Realm, it would Uriel's sole chance at true martial glory, and the very ground will yield before his knight's silvered feet.

++End Transmission++

So as you've probably guessed by now, this is an Imperial Knight blog. As a little introduction to the person behind the brush, I'm not exactly the fastest nor the best painter and I'm prone to losing motivation on projects. So I'm hoping this blog helps with all of that!

Now time for the thing you came for: some very preliminary photos of the Iron Flame, the Knight Errant of choice for Uriel:

IMG 20180707 140014

IMG 20180707 140123

The plan as it stands is to go for a very dark steel skeleton and bright silver armour plates, with black, red and bone livery, and, to quote Duncan, "base the same as the rest of my army", a desert world, bursting into a daemon world, though I'm a little unsure how I'm going to do that on such a large base...

C&C very much appreciated.

DHK

Promising start. I always enjoy blogs with painting and fluff.

For your base perhaps you could have cracks in the ground with daemon arms reaching out, or spectral flames.

++Begin Transmission++

Uriel's crusade, the newly christened Lance of the Boy King, soon arrayed itself for war. The Rituals of Becoming had birthed another generation of fresh faced nobles, each eager to take the fight to the enemies of House Argent, beneath cries of "For the Golden and Silver Thones!". Uriel began to reminisce of his first time. The tang of iron in the air. The cries and voxhorns of his seniors filling him with righteous fury. The despicable cowards who dare defy him.

A man clad in darkest iron approached, his enormous frame filling the balcony from which Uriel surveyed the preparations. This giant spoke, his words both intimidating yet encouraging Uriel, "The Mourning Angels, stand with you, High King Uriel I of House Argent; ready to give their blood in the Emperor's name."

The Space Marines had come.

++End Transmission++

So after burning some mid(k)night oil, the leg skeleton is pretty much done.

IMG 20180708 122534

I'm not too happy with the tabard (still need to neaten up the black), but otherwise I'm quite pleased with how the two tones of metal have come out. Probably should have done a test model for that in hindsight!

In other news, I found this guy in my bits box:

IMG 20180708 123428

He's been a priest, Inquisitorial acolyte, and even had a few games fought over him as the "relic", all without a lick of paint beyond an undercoat. So now he's extended his CV, and become one of Uriel's personal sacristans. Perhaps someday he'll be painted... maybe.

OakRiver: Thanks! I've borrow the demonic claws idea, though coming out of a pool of blood.

IMG 20180708 122541

BjornFirewalker: I'll answer that with a special close-up of a foot so you can see the difference, just for you.

IMG 20180708 122551

DHK

Looking good. For the personal sacristan mini are you thinking that he will fulfill the role of personal priest and confessor, or will he have a quasi-Mechanicus role in that he also anoints his master's knight?

Looking good. For the personal sacristan mini are you thinking that he will fulfill the role of personal priest and confessor, or will he have a quasi-Mechanicus role in that he also anoints his master's knight?

Yeah I'm leaning towards the Mechanicus side of things, patching Iron Flame, when Uriel inevitably gets himself into a "spot of bother" with the business end of some anti-tank weapons. Most of my other projects have been about purely gaming, but this guy (who is in desperate need of a name, as well as a paintjob) is part of building an whole retinue aroundthe army, as in my mind there is no way the Knights would march to war without a whole crew of servants and the like.

DHK

I think you hit the nail on the head with understanding the importance of the supporting cast, as you can use them as a vehicle to describe the culture of the Knight's homeworld and their military traditions without a huge amount of exposition. 

If you'te going to have "demonic claws coming out of a pool of blood" on the Knight's base, then the Knight's foot should be directly on them. The pool will either be the result of an enemy psyker opening a portal to Hell beneath the Knight (so summoned daemons can immobilize him), or the result of the Knight grinding a daemon enemy beneath his feet to ensure it't dead.

++Begin Transmission++

When the Knights of House Argent march to war, they do not do so alone. Alongside them come the Brotherhood of Steel and Silver, the technicians and sacristans of the nobles. Where other houses have their sacristans trained by the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Brotherhood operate independent of the Machine Cult; this heresy is tolerated due to isolated nature of Pandemonium and the staunch defense of the nobles of House Argent.
++End Transmission++

A quick update on the sacristan (still without a name...). I thought I'd show you some of my thought process when it came to paint schemes whilst I was at it:

Initially I'd painted him with a red tabard (the back is the only shot that I got, then I changed my mind), tying him to the AdMech:

IMG 20180708 161528

But that din't quite fit, both lorewise and lookswise. The idea of a guy with split loyalties in the Boy King's court didn't sit well. Hence, he now has a silver tabard, keeping in with the colour scheme of the House:

IMG 20180708 233722

And here is the model as it sits on my desk (begging to be finished), with silver tabard finished:

IMG 20180709 190409

IMG 20180709 191057

DHK

The Sacristan looks promising. As for the white, Sandy Mitchell's novels do describe AdMech tech-priests wearing robes in that color- one such robe was stolen and then sold to a pawnshop, whose owner then described it as a "wedding dress" when she tried to sell it to another woman, in Innocence Proves Nothing- this is apparently true in older editions of the game.

An update on the now finished legs of Iron Flame, sans transfers. Not much lore to go with this one, though there is a preview of Uriel's personal heraldry. Much to my surprise, the armour plates have come just how I wanted them!

IMG 20180713 195637

IMG 20180713 195715

IMG 20180713 195754

IMG 20180713 195731

With regards to the colour of the tabard, I'm afraid that whit will be lost on the cream robes, not to mention I really don't like painting whites. But thanks for the feedback.

DHK

++Begin Transmission++

The people of Pandemonium do not conform to the traditional Imperial religion, much to the concern of some members of the Ordo Hereticus. Instead They Who Came Before, or more simply Them, are venerated, with shrines erected in Their honour. It is in this manner that the Emperor is worshiped, not as a true god, but as a prominent member of Them.

As a result of this, Knight Suits are even more coveted for the imprints of the previous pilots are considered holy as connections to Them. It is the duty of the Nobles of the House to record each and every word passed to them through the Throne Mechanicum.

++End Transmission++

A bit of lore I've been thinking about whilst painting. I'm enjoying the freedom allowed by the distinct feeling an Imperial Knight house has, in terms of lore.

As for an update on Iron Flame, I've made a bit of progress. The upper skeleton is now basecoated and the base is finished. I may add a few grass tufts, depending on how the final look of the model comes out.

IMG 20180714 193252

IMG 20180714 193339

IMG 20180714 193301

DHK

Archived