Strata's Custodes

Ever since they first released in Prospero, there has been this burning, nagging voice.. want to paint the gold clad protectors of the imperium, but i've been putting it off. Well, recently I was able to pick up a full 2000pt force for around half price and the will to resist any long simply vanished with that.

My plans are to keep a log of all the work i do on them here. So far, im working out how i'm going to be doing up my gold. I have a few pictures of where i am at right now. Im liking how it's going so far, but im not quite there with it yet. Let me know what you guys think.

959081_sm-Basecoated.jpg

959079_sm-Washed.jpg

959080_sm-First%20Highlight.jpg

959078_sm-Painting%20Process.jpg

Im currently thinking the next steps in finishing off the gold are going to be a light drybrush of Liberator gold, and an even lighter applicaition of stormhost silver (when i get around to picking a pot of it up). Plus a wash of reikland fleshshade, somewhere in those final two steps. I'm also considering a teal for the spot color, as opposed to the reds that i normally see.

Those are nice looking Custodes - what models do you have to do? I agree with Black Orange, teal will be a different choice so I'll be keen to see them painted. I went with the Dread Host but they still have red on them. I've been liking the few Custodes schemes I've seen lately that don't have any red on them at all - it's a nice chance from the norm :)

Those are nice looking Custodes - what models do you have to do? I agree with Black Orange, teal will be a different choice so I'll be keen to see them painted. I went with the Dread Host but they still have red on them. I've been liking the few Custodes schemes I've seen lately that don't have any red on them at all - it's a nice chance from the norm :smile.:

My current batch of grey plastic looking at me consists of 10 Custodians, 9 Allarus, and 6 Bikes. You know.. when i put it that way.. it seems amazing to me that is 2000 points...

But yes, I've put alittle more work into the three i was working on. I think i would call the gold finished at this point. I've blocked in the silver bits, put a basecoat of black on the guardian spears, and panted the soft armor joints.

959237_sm-FG-Front.jpeg

959236_sm-FG-Back.jpeg

Heh, yeah it's surprising. My ETL vow is about a 2000pt list that's just 25 models too! Anyway that's a very nice gold, it's going to really pop once you start getting more paints on there :tu:

The lighting in this one isn't the best.. i may go ahead and retake this picture tomorrow outside if i get the chance to. Untill then, Here's where i am now. I think with more colors being blocked in, it really looks that much better.

I will say though, im not sure about the color on the blades right now, i think i may end up redoing them at some later point.

959505_sm-Teal.jpeg

Hmm. You may be right, the blades being blue as well might be too much. Difficult to say at this stage so perhaps continue and when the model is complete make a judgement call then? As for the rest it looks fantastic! Don't alter it at all ;) The plumes look really good :D

• 1 month later...

So, it's been a while since my last update. There is a reason for that. Shortly after my last post I was involved in a car accident that did a good deal of damage. I've only just in the last few days been able to focus well enough, and been steady enough to get brush back to plastic.. It's slow going, but i've been working at it, and i have results to show for it. I've been working on bringing the rest of  my Custodian guard up to level with the first three.

968754_sm-GuardWIP.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
So, seems with every step forward, it's two steps back. Work on the custodes for now has stalled out as it seems I've torn a disk in my back. I can't even sit up long enough to muddle through one small Basecoat layer.

Is that base Nuln Oil over retributor, or some other gold/wash?

The base for the gold is Retributor wish a wash of drakenhof nightshade, then drybrushedd with retributor again, liberator, a very VERY light brush of the old chainmail, and finally washed with fleshshade.

• 1 month later...

Im finally back at it. It feel's as though its been quite a while since my last bit of work. In that time my model count has been all but reduced to only my custodes, life necessitating that i sell off just about everything else that i had, except for afew stranglers that i wanted to keep. Even so, my boys in gold came though this purge unscathed, and waiting for the paint brush to be brought back to them.

I think i've figured what im going to be doing for my basing style on them, and as such, all of the normal custodians have been based as such. All that I have left to do with them is the leather sections.. which ive still yet to get appropriate paint for, and to paint up the blades of the spears. I did afew silver, and just didn't care for it.. so back to black they are for now.  I've also gotten around to getting the basecoat/initial wash done up on my terminators. Weapons blocked in with black, and now im just waiting for more motivation to move onto the next steps with them.

978539_sm-PA%20Custodes.jpeg

978540_sm-Allarus%20wash.jpeg

More work has been going into finishing the Allarus to where im happy with them. The two squads are, in my mind, finished now. The standard i just need to decided on a color for the inside of the cape, and then on both shield captains I need to figure out a color on their capes as well. I had thought initially of doing them the same as the rest of the force, but, i thought it might be better if they were draped in their own personal heraldry... now to figure out what that is.. im thinking perhapse one in a darker green, the other, red.

980070_sm-AS-F.jpeg

980071_sm-AS-B.jpeg

980068_sm-AA-F.jpeg

980069_sm-AA-B.jpeg

980072_sm-AC-F.jpeg

980073_sm-AC-B.jpeg

Archived