Storm Troopers Discipline for Non-Tempestus Units?

Grimpoppet

Greetings! Looking to discuss some RAW today, so get out your WAAC hats and Magnifying Glasses - and be preferred for copious rules lawyering. If this bothers you, FLEE WHILE YOU CAN.

So the Question:

In the Guard Codex, if a player wishes to create their own "regiment" (for the sake of an example, we can say "Bedford's Finest") it states:

• "If your chosen regiment does not have an associated Regimental Doctrine, you may pick the Doctrine that you feel best represents your army."
Now, shortly after, it states that:
  • MILITARUM TEMPESTUS units do not themselves benefit from any Regimental Doctrine unless every unit in that Detachment is from the Militarum Tempestus (in which case they will gain the Storm Troopers doctrine).

NOTE that it does NOT state that ONLY Militarum Tempestus may gain the "Storm Troopers" doctrine.

If we were to take a Battalion Detachment of "Bedford's Finest," of say 2 Company Commanders and 3 Infantry Squads, can I select "Storm Troopers" as the Doctrine for my regiment?

If not, could you please direct me to the where the limitation is listed? For the life of me, I can't find it.

I've a fairly good memory that this had been rigourously argued shortly after general release of the Guard book. I further recall the case as conclusive that yes you could, but like all other orphan regimentums, one so indoctrinated would have access to none of the factionally alligned warlord traits, strategums, or relics normally associated with being Temptestus.

Unfortunately, I don't specifically recall where this discussion took place which makes it a challenge to produce a handy link for you to the prior examination. I also don't expect it to be faq'd away if only because tangentially it's generally considered a poor tactical option compared to the others and thus not likely to make itself a problem in tournament play. 

I've a fairly good memory that this had been rigourously argued shortly after general release of the Guard book. I further recall the case as conclusive that yes you could, but like all other orphan regimentums, one so indoctrinated would have access to none of the factionally alligned warlord traits, strategums, or relics normally associated with being Temptestus.

Unfortunately, I don't specifically recall where this discussion took place which makes it a challenge to produce a handy link for you to the prior examination. I also don't expect it to be faq'd away if only because tangentially it's generally considered a poor tactical option compared to the others and thus not likely to make itself a problem in tournament play.

This is the correct outcome too. People link keywords and doctrines in their mind and struggle to separate the 2. The rules state clearly there are restrictions on a Militarum Tempestus detachment but a custom regiment is not a Militarum Tempestus detachment. Doctrines as clearly explained in the Guard Codex can be chosen by any custom Chapter with no restriction.

It’s been asked many times on the community page and passed to the rule writers for clarification yet they’ve still chosen not to FAQ this.

Archived