Kill Team

I'll jump the gun and set this thread up, inevitable it'll happen soon anyway!

I'm assuming at least some people are, like me, excited for Kill Team. I'm probably going to make a GSC's team first but obviously Guard are my favourite so a Guard team is going to happen.

What are peoples initial plans? Scions would be natural fit of course. I'm not sure my Praetorians are suitable for a sneaky covert Op's force... I hope you can take a Bullgryn!

I agree with Harrow. Vets, guard and stormies. Not sure about ratlings.... part of me wants to see a platoon commander or commissar option since someone needs to lead the kill team. I plan to use my box of last chancers for my kill team, hopefully it is possible

Gotta agree with Harrowmaster. Was hoping for some revived flavour for the beloved vets. And all I could think of when they wrote "all those custom regiments you ever wanted" was: You mean Victoria miniatures or Anvil industry?

Cause GW, you have guard in only two flavours now.

I was a bit disappointed, hoping for the Bullgryn bodyguard but since no Terminators or Mega Armoured Nobz that’s not a surprise.

Really though, what else would we want? The guys will become Veterans in a campaign and that’s the full mix of heavy and special weapons right there.

Agreed that the 3rd party guys are going to be running their hands. Thinking I might do a 95th rifles style team.

They’ll have to wait until after my Genestealer cult and Orks with either top hats or a pirate theme. Got to love some bits of war!

I'm happy to be able to field a full table of Scions more than the Vets, myself. This is the style of game that the Tempestus Fluff was meant for from my perspective: Veterans belong in the army, Tempestus belong in SpecOps.

Scions are the obvious choice for this, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a WW2 style Paratrooper or Rangers force for this. Lightly armoured troops backed up by a Heavy Bolter (Bren Gun) and a Mortar. Cue the Beret heads from my Scions being used and a suitable Bren gun found! Heavy Stubber (counting as a Heavy Bolter) would do nicely.

Assuming Heavy Weapons are in? They are mentioned in the article under orders. "Ensuring a heavy weapon hits", but in context they could be referring to Plasma Guns / grenade Launchers etc.

I'd be surprised if Heavy Weapons weren't in considering Cults have Heavy Stubbers / Mining Lasers etc and Orks have Lootas but

More excited for this than I though I'd be, GW sure know how to Hype a product now.

Gotta agree with Harrowmaster. Was hoping for some revived flavour for the beloved vets. And all I could think of when they wrote "all those custom regiments you ever wanted" was: You mean Victoria miniatures or Anvil industry?

Yup. My order is already in to Victoria Miniatures for 10 Svargan Shock Soldats with Kill Teams weapon sprues and cloak accessories.

I was sad to see no Ogryns but not surprised. Same with vets and ratlings.

I'm looking forward to scores of bog standard Guardsmen laying down their lives to protect the one fool running around with a nervous tic and an overcharged plasma gun.

Yup. My order is already in to Victoria Miniatures for 10 Svargan Shock Soldats with Kill Teams weapon sprues and cloak accessories.

I was sad to see no Ogryns but not surprised. Same with vets and ratlings.

I'm looking forward to scores of bog standard Guardsmen laying down their lives to protect the one fool running around with a nervous tic and an overcharged plasma gun.

They will go out in a blaze of glory. :D

And I love Vic's Svargans. Everytime I am looking at them I am torn whether I like them or Anvil's version more. Victoria always strikes me as a more classic approach, a glorious callback to the regiments we have grown to love and cannot get anymore. While Anvil is trying to do their own thing. Which I applaud. For whatever reason GW seems content to leave the field aside from their most popular factions to 3rd party suppliers (now with the renegades gone).

I hope especially Victoria and Anvil will capitalize on that and provide us with even more guard (and others) goodness.

There are leaked kill team rules for guard on page 50 on this topic:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/345264-kill-team-returns/page-50 

a rough calculation of a 100pt kill team gives me:

Leader: Tempestus scion with plasma pistol 11 (using colonel Schaffer)

3 special weapon gunners with sniper rifles 18 (one scope from last chancers, 2 metal cadian snipers)

2 scion gunners with plasma guns 26 (plastic) 

1 vox guardsmen 10 (metal 1990s cadian)

7 guardsmen 35 (5 last chancers, 2 metal 1990s cadians) 

looks like guard will be a horde force, even with scions you can easily get 6 in with special weapons. 

Slightly disappointed that Heavy Weapons Teams aren't an option, would have liked a Mortar and Heavy Bolter but it's hardly the end of the world.

It does mean that other teams look a lot more interesting so I'll be going for them first.

THey mention in more than one article that movement, manuevering, and outflanking are key elements of the game, so I don't understand why not having a unit that ignores half of the rules and half of the enemy's actions is disappointing. I would find having the unit to be far more disappointing.

Ugh I'm really bummed that there are no heavy weapons other than snipers allowed for guard KT!! I was planning on making the guys from Predator and using harker as the guy with the minigun! It really sucks that there is no heavy bolters or missile launchers (other option that I was mulling). Can't even have heavy flamers or det packs either!!! Oh how I wish they let us bring vets too!!

Ugh, well I guess I'll just try and get as many gernade launchers and flamers for my catachan.

For someone new to the game (40k and Kill Team) and the faction...what are your thoughts on initial purchases to get a Kill Team started? I have some BA's that I got a while back but never played...thinking about putting something together with them...but I've always liked some of the IG models too but was always turned off from trying to do a 40K army due to the number of models and/or vehicles needed. This might be the right time to jump in and start something with Astra Militarum.

For someone new to the game (40k and Kill Team) and the faction...what are your thoughts on initial purchases to get a Kill Team started? I have some BA's that I got a while back but never played...thinking about putting something together with them...but I've always liked some of the IG models too but was always turned off from trying to do a 40K army due to the number of models and/or vehicles needed. This might be the right time to jump in and start something with Astra Militarum.

I have two different answers for an AM kill team. One option is that you'll really just need an infantry squad box of some sort (Cadians, Catachans, Brood Brothers) or a box or two of Scions, or one of each and it should give you a basis for a kill team. Optionally, a Command Squad box for some fancy bits to use. That will give you a pretty standard looking Kill Team to use.

Alternatively, I really like the option that this gives us to really go to town on a custom regiment, as we'll only need a handful of models for it to look great. Of course there are a whole smorgasbord of 3rd party bits out there that can help you pull this off to great effect. Another fun option is to kitbash a box of Catachans or Cadians with another GW kit. The AM codex has some nice options using AoS kits, Genestealer Cult Neophytes, and Skitatii pieces. I personally like tailless Skaven plague monks with Cadian arms as abhuman militia, or beastmen auxiliary squads. Basically, you can go about as nuts as you want as long as it fits on a 25mm base :)

Archived