Heresy FAQS - At Last!

Charlo

Outflank was the most powerful part of the Sniper/Outflank combo, and we kept that.

As far as I understand, Veterans lost Sniper and Outflank as both were included in the Marksman bulletpoint. The whole bulletpoint is changed: from Marksman (outflank + sniper) to Stalker (scout).

"Veteran Tactics (Page 28)

In the Veteran Tactics box-out, replace the bullet point Marksmen with the following:

• Stalkers: The unit gains the Scout special rule."

Veterans are still competitive in my opinion as seekers are so overcosted.

It does mean I need to reconsider my Vet unit as for 20 points more I can grab an almost identical Grey Slayer Pack with 5 extra bodies (I'd lose out on a HB but that's an expensive upgrade anyway).

Given I'm running OA the Sniper part was of use to me as Marksmen. I'll still model up a pack or two with suppressed rifles for when I'm not running an OA list.

Outflank was the most powerful part of the Sniper/Outflank combo, and we kept that.

As far as I understand, Veterans lost Sniper and Outflank as both were included in the Marksman bulletpoint. The whole bulletpoint is changed: from Marksman (outflank + sniper) to Stalker (scout).

"Veteran Tactics (Page 28)

In the Veteran Tactics box-out, replace the bullet point Marksmen with the following:

• Stalkers: The unit gains the Scout special rule."

Veterans are still competitive in my opinion as seekers are so overcosted.

Scout lets you outflank, so they only really lost the sniper part. They're still a bargain.

Just a quick clarification on Warrior's Mettle...

FAQ says if an IC joins a unit with this special rule, and does not have the rule itself, they unit loses the benefits until the IC leaves.

What about an Apothecary? They are not ICs. Does that mean they can join the unit and the unit still gets Warrior's Mettle?

All the vet change really does for me is make the 4 Heavy Bolter marines across the two squads I have less than useful especially for how much they cost.

Back to the cabinet they go!

So this has made me feel better about the fact that my  Imperial Fists are an Armored breakthrough List,  Though now I have a lot of Vets that may or may not ever see the light of day again. Though My thunderhawk may very well see the tabletop now.  

For my wolves, this changes a few things, opens up some new options as far as the rite of wars goes.  

My Knights will continue being terrifying to my opponents. 

Custodes still seem exceptionally strong. 

Mechanicum is still going to also be a problem. 

I know the rule was played mainly this way anyway, but good to see clarification on Preferred Enemy (Whatever) affecting the whole unit even if there's only one or not even a majority. Raven Guard Decap Strike is even more lethal with this.

They have also clarified that you can't infiltrate RG Jump Infantry or Infantry in TDA.

Yep good to see this has finally been commented on, although I think it has always been played RAI by most reasonable players.

Maun must now enter Turn 1 if in a drop pod, was this alway the case? Or could he be held back in reserves even when in a pod like if he is in a Darkwing?

Heresy FAQ just kicked my new army in the dick. Orbital Assault, 16th Legion Loyalist. So, I figure sniper vets will give me some good firepower for dropping in, I invest in the squads, assemble them, invest in nine drop pods, nine. Build, assemble, looking good! First game with list is this Saturday, FAQ removes my point efficient firepower in a painful way.

Money well spent :(

My Knights will continue being terrifying to my opponents. 

Custodes still seem exceptionally strong. 

Mechanicum is still going to also be a problem. 

The issue is that all those armies feel as strong as they should feel. 

The issue is that their points level. They are all comparatively under costed for how strong they are, and unfortunately this wasn't a points balancing FAQ.

I also just played a game against 1kS with the new rules for Sekmeth, and....ugh.

Giving them ability to take from Biomancy now is obscene.

I had to face two squads of Sekmeth...with 4+ Feel No Pain and Eternal Warrior, all the while my Blood Angels had -1 to strength because of enfeeble.

I understand they tried to nerf them by not having them go all Mary Poppins and fly around with levitate, but having gone though what I just did, I would much rather than have Levitate.

No, they got buffed, obscenely buffed.

I also just played a game against 1kS with the new rules for Sekmeth, and....ugh.

I had to face two squads of Sekmeth...with 4+ Feel No Pain and Eternal Warrior, all the while my Blood Angels had -1 to strength because of enfeeble.

I understand they tried to nerf them by not having them go all Mary Poppins and fly around with levitate, but having gone though what I just did, I would much rather than have Levitate.

And both got FnP?

He got lucky eh?

Ouch... Yeah I guess it's down to luck but half the Biomancy powers are insanely powerful and it's not like 30k is full of help denying.

At least they only cast on a 4+ now...?

Fingers crossed Malevolence's anti-psychic wargear is a nice balancing factor.

And both got FnP?

He got lucky eh?

And admittedly, he was lucky in getting those two powers from Biomancy, but I feel weird about you basically getting the "I Win" button because of one lucky roll before the game even started.

The amount of firepower I had to direct towards those two squads seriously hampered my ability to do anything else, and I only ended up taking a few down. When a leviathan launches a full barrage of Phospex, Grav-Flux, and melta, all hitting and rolling well on wounding, and then ending up taking down only one Sekmeth, well there's a problem there.

Ouch... Yeah I guess it's down to luck but half the Biomancy powers are insanely powerful and it's not like 30k is full of help denying.

At least they only cast on a 4+ now...?

Fingers crossed Malevolence's anti-psychic wargear is a nice balancing factor.

Cant wait for book 8. I have two 1kS players here, and giving me some wargear against that would help out a ton.

That, and you know... Sanguinius :biggrin.:

You should field some SoS with psy-grenade-launchers. That kills them of pretty quickly.

But is totally dead weight against all other lists and requires an allied Detachment investment :sad.:

SoS are a great ally in general though, especially for legions as they are Sworn Brothers so full capable as infiltrating or stealth scoring units. They also can use the stake-cross bow unit as a compulsory HQ getting, and a scoring unit for under 200 pts. 

You should field some SoS with psy-grenade-launchers. That kills them of pretty quickly.

They're still 3+, so footslogging is a tough sell in Heresy.

I could get a Kharon Pattern Acquisitor, but I don't feel its right that I have to spend that kind of money and spend a few dozen hours painting them to unbreak a broken thing.

In any case Heresy is a narrative and not a competitive game, so my buddy isn't going to run them with those two powers again since they're blatantly broken and not fun for neither of us.

Pleasantly surprised to see some of the long, long list of questions I sent them got directly answered! (Infiltrating and Coils of the Hydra, Curze and Hit and Run, and whether Iron Hands special characters have access to Cyber-Familiars - though that last one had blown up in my face a bit and I almost wish I'd kept my mouth shut :teehee:) It's not a complete success; things like the Thousand Sons warp charge and Perturabo reserves nerfs are disappointing, and there are still some irritating queries such as whether Space Wolf apothecaries block Warrior's Mettle - for what it's worth Wolf players, I would let you use them without interfering with WM if we played - but to me at least this confirms that Forge World does take into account real people's feedback, and that's a good start.

For Vlka players understandably upset that Varagyr weren't fixed - bare in mind that we knew this wasn't supposed to be a balance patch except for extreme cases like SniperVets, although I admit that there's more balance stuff here than expected, and bare in mind the Twitch stream a few weeks ago confirmed that FW prefers to update units in Black and Red books rather than FAQs, rightly or wrongly. The Angels of Death, White Scars, and Alpha Legion all haven't really been touched aside from a few sideways-clarifications or buffs, and you guys are confirmed for Malevolence. Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, but I wouldn't give up faith just yet. :happy.:

(And finally, it's pretty funny to me that Russ and Magnus are still not Loyalist- or Traitor-only. #DidNothingWrong)

Archived