Stormtalon Gunship Questions

Syward

Greetings brothers!

I'm considering getting 2x Stormtalon Gunships to go along w/my Primaris Raptors, but I had some questions on their rules before I invest in purchasing them.

1. Becase it's a flyer (Airborne special rule), it cannot lock a unit that cannot fly in combat (<1 inch) because it cannot charge units that do not fly and movment rules state that you cannot move within 1 inch of an enemy unit. Correct?

2. Now if I choose to hover, I lose the Airborne special rule until the beginning of my next movement phase and I can then be charged by units that cannot fly right?

2a. If this happens and I don't hover in my next movement phase and I move as normal, does this count as falling back restricting my shooting? 

2b. If I was charged and I choose to not move (continue the hover), am I restricted from shooting?

3. Strafing run says I can add 1 to hit rolls against units that cannot fly. So if I equip skyhammer missiles which has a rule that I need to subtract 1 from hits against units  that cannot fly, the 2 rules negate each other  and it would still be 3+ to hit (assuming full wounds) Correct?

4. After my movement phase, does the Stormtalon have to be facing the infantry units I wish to target? e.g. I move 20" straight forward, the unit I want to target is within range but to the left of the model? Can I still shoot it? 

1. I believe that is correct. It still cannot be within an inch of another unit.

2a. I would think it would still count as having fallen back. But you can still shoot, because units with fly can shoot after falling back. You just wouldn't be able to advance.

2b. You would be restricted from shooting, unless the vehicle has a special rule that allows it to shoot if it is within 1 inch of an enemy.

3. Essentially, yes. You would hit on a 3+ with a +1 to hit and a -1 to hit, which would keep you at a 3+. 

4. There is no facing. It doesn't matter where it is pointed, it can shoot anything within range. Even if it's behind the flyer. 

4. There is no facing. It doesn't matter where it is pointed, it can shoot anything within range. Even if it's behind the flyer. 

I just wanted to expand on this last point.

There is no longer any facing in terms of shooting (everything has a 360 firing arc) or being shot at (different facings no longer have different values).  However, for fliers facing still does matter, as it limits where you can move - if using your airbourne rule, you only get an up to 90 degree turn and then have to move in a straight line, which could, through carelessness, result in a movement phase where the flyer either much fly off the table (and therefore out of the battle) or go into hover mode.

I just wanted to expand on this last point.

There is no longer any facing in terms of shooting (everything has a 360 firing arc) or being shot at (different facings no longer have different values).  However, for fliers facing still does matter, as it limits where you can move - if using your airbourne rule, you only get an up to 90 degree turn and then have to move in a straight line, which could, through carelessness, result in a movement phase where the flyer either much fly off the table (and therefore out of the battle) or go into hover mode.

Thanks for that. Since going into hover mode happens before I move, if I go into hover mode, I have a move characteristic of 20", which I can move/turn my facing in any direction right? So I could go into hover, to adjust my facing before moving via Airborne in the next movement phase right?

Archived