How good are the spray paints?

Token

If i spray a model with Mechanicus Standard grey, would i perhaps need to paint over again with paint? Is it perhaps necessery to spray it black first?

Please excuse Spelling, grammar mistakes and such.

Depends on how you are using them, I've found some to be awful (Meph red in some cases) but most to be amazing (Zandri Dust, Retributor Armour, Leadbelcher etc).

Personally I'd always give a quick spray of black/ grey first anyway to ensure the coat is firm, even and other paint holds to it (especially if using something like resin).

Also, my god LESS IS MORE. Don't overdo it or you'll have some seriously clogged details with some of the paints.

If you are in the UK, Halfords Black Matt and Grey Primers are an amazing first coat and my favorite way to get an even base to work from.

But most to be amazing (Zandri Dust, Retributor Armour, Leadbelcher etc).

That's my experience, especially Retributor Armour which I have to say blew me away in terms of the smoothness and shine of it. Suppose it should do at ~£20 a pop!

Depends on how you are using them, I've found some to be awful (Meph red in some cases) but most to be amazing (Zandri Dust, Retributor Armour, Leadbelcher etc).

Personally I'd always give a quick spray of black/ grey first anyway to ensure the coat is firm, even and other paint holds to it (especially if using something like resin).

Also, my god LESS IS MORE. Don't overdo it or you'll have some seriously clogged details with some of the paints.

If you are in the UK, Halfords Black Matt and Grey Primers are an amazing first coat and my favorite way to get an even base to work from.

I can second that retributor armour spray is very good, I've sprayed it without even undercoating. About mephiston red, I just got a can, but I have yet to use it. What's so bad about it? I intend to use it over chaos black spray to mass base coat some models.

So far I had the chance to try Mephiston Red, Macragge Blue, Leadbelcher, The Fang and Caliban Green.

I tried using them both over a sprayed Chaos Black undercoat and straight on the grey plastic, and had no issues of frosting, flaking and such. I did have some problems of clogged details with Mephiston Red the first time I used it: I got too heavy-handed on some Tau Fire Warriors and it indeed clogged some details, so my personal recommendation for lighter colours (red for esample) is to use multiple thin layers leaving each of them to dry, or finish with a thin coat of pot-paint like you d with primers.

With the darker colours such as blue and green I had no problems at all and I had good, smooth results on plastic after the first coat, I think they're fantastic.

Anyway, that's what I learned from my experience :yes:

I can second that retributor armour spray is very good, I've sprayed it without even undercoating. About mephiston red, I just got a can, but I have yet to use it. What's so bad about it? I intend to use it over chaos black spray to mass base coat some models.

It clogs and congeals in recesses REALLY easily. I have used it since with some better technique in mind and its best to just give anything a quick once over, it'll look quite faint then dry a nice red. One more hit and it will look great though.

Just keep the sprays brief and thin, and as soon as you have the tiniest inkiling of "okay this all looks red"... STOP.

I intend to use it over chaos black spray to mass base coat some models.

Black will kill some of the vibrancy of the reds.

If you're going for cold/subdued or muddy colours that is fine.

But if not, you'd be better off priming with your base colour (red), or grey/white imho.

I intend to use it over chaos black spray to mass base coat some models.

Black will kill some of the vibrancy of the reds.

If you're going for cold/subdued or muddy colours that is fine.

But if not, you'd be better off priming with your base colour (red), or grey/white imho.

I tend to paint by blood angels a really dark red, like dried blood, so the chaos black undercoat is fine. I've been doing it with mephiston red from the pot, but there are too many models unpainted now and I'm looking for a swift solution.

I have to say I love the coloured sprays and have used them without undercoating first without any issues.

However I warm them up in hot (but not too hot and definitely not boiling!) water first which aids in the mixing and gives a better coat.

As has been said multiple thin layers are best but I've pretty much always managed in about 2 coats.

Yes, humidity is your enemy when spraying. 50% humidity or below with no/light wind. Never go above 60% humidity with a decent (10-15 mph). Anything above those limits has a high chance of giving you a noticeably rough surface.

This poor Dreadnought was primered in 60%-65% humidity. I didn't notice the wind had dropped off. You can really see the resulting roughness on the right torso and left arm.

gallery_80588_10505_56023.jpg

Archived