Use of Crusader Squads

Syward

Greetings brothers! 

I've got a clarifying question regarding the use of Crusader Squads - Do I need to use the Black Templars Chapter Tactics to use them, or can I use Crusader Squads with say Imperial Fist or Raven Guard chapter tactics?

I like the sound of the Black Templar tactics, but I can't take a Librarian, and I play against units that I'll need the use of the mortal wounds and Null Zone to defeat (3+ inv. save) So I was wondering if I can build my army as if I was playing Black Templars, but use another chapter's tactics to allow me to take a Librarian? 

Or do I need to use Black Templars tactics w/Crusader Squads and rely on Heavy Bolters and their Hell Fire shells strategem to deal mortal wounds?

Thanks.

Crusader squads have the Black Templars keyword so can only use their chapter tactics.

Ah, thanks. Didn't catch the keyword. I figured they would be a Black Templar only unit, but wasn't sure. 

Is there still a way I can take a librarian though, such as using another detachment that doesn't use Black Templars chapter tactics?

Like take a battalion detachment for my Black Templars crusader squads using Black Templars tactics and a Vanguard detachment with the librarian HQ and 3 Elites using Imperial Fists or Raven Guard tactics?

Or do all detachments need to use the same chapter tactics?

You can mix chapter tactics across the army but not detachments, so yes.

Excellent TY. Now, my question is if I have a Chaplain in my BT Battalion Detachment, and a Vanguard Squad in my non-BT Vanguard Detachment, does the aura from the chaplain only affect the units from the BT Battalion Detachment or can the non-BT Vanguard Squad from the non-BT Vanguard Detachment gain the benefit of the Chaplains aura?

It's in the chaplain entry, they only affect their own chapter.

Ok, thanks. I thought that's what <CHAPTER> meant but wasn't sure. I appreciate your help.

Is there still a way I can take a librarian though, such as using another detachment that doesn't use Black Templars chapter tactics?

As an alternative you could forge the detachment using <Adeptus Astartes> as the unifying faction keyword to mash both a crusader squad and a librarian in the same one at the cost of foregoing any chapter tactics.

As an alternative you could forge the detachment using <Adeptus Astartes> as the unifying faction keyword to mash both a crusader squad and a librarian in the same one at the cost of foregoing any chapter tactics.

Is that allowed though since the Crusader Squads say <Black Templars> in their faction keyword? Wouldn't I have to use Black Templars tactics to be allowed to take them?

You don't actually have to take any chapter tactics. Crusader Squads have three separate Faction Keywords, <Imperium>, <Adeptus Astartes>, and <Black Templars>. While we're normally specifically barred from using the top level one, in this case <Imperium> from binding our detachments, nothing actually stops you from using the mid range one. It's just that doing so stops you from claiming any Chapter Tactics for the units in those Space Marines detachments. Interestingly, they could still qualify for 'Defenders of Humanity', provided you steered clear of using the Adeptus Astartes keyword to include any Wolves, Angels, or Grey Knights in the same detachment.

When a unit has multiple eligible faction keywords you get to pick which one you're using.

Archived