Free Company Army with some Titans

demented

For back story of the Titans there are only two ways that I could think of justifying them in the army at the moment, neither of which totally appeal to me.

They could be remnants of a destroyed forge world where the company was fighting. They were evacuated by the company and have stuck around.
In return for service, the titans are repaired and replenished as required and when the opportunity comes to avenge the destruction of the forge world, the free company will assist with any force and resources necessary. There will be a 'grudge' list of forces/titans etc. This is the most convenient background and could open up grudge based story arcs,

Or alternatively

They are Previously destroyed Titans that have been recovered and repaired but not returned them to the Titan legion/forge world
This would anger the forge worlds greatly so they are unlikely to help with repair and rearmament of anything.
The company would have to rely on friendly forge worlds, ones that they have previously helped perhaps.This could create some interesting story arcs but they would mainly be politically based, about how the company is viewed and tolerated.

Or I suppose I could combine the two and have them be recovered titans from a titan legion that no longer exists? I'm off to dig into the backstory of the Titan legions to hopefully come up with something!

The plan at the moment is to have two Warhound's, and one reaver. I would like to tackle a warlord but I'm going to work my way up slowly

My idea: Say a radical AdMech Magos once hired your mercenaries to help him explore a Space Hulk. The Titans were among several items the Magos' acolytes recovered from the Hulk. As the Magos' ship left the Hulk, he received a vox transmission warning him the Ordo Machinum suspected he was a heretek, and intended to question him. Desperate to flee, the Magos offered your mercenaries the Titans as payment, and contacts to... less restrictive... Magi who'd repair and maintain the Titans in exchange for hard cash, before parting ways. Yout mercenaries aren't 100% happy with this- they preferred to be paid in cash- but accepted the barter as being "better than nothing."

Alternatively: Your "free company" are the remnants of the same Titan Legion's auxiliaries- they served the same forge world- and were evacuated with those Titans when the forge world was destroyed.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Hi Bjorn.

I like the first Idea, They would have to hide him though as a lot of agents would be searching for him. maybe a little risky, they might have just killed him and taken any bounty payment for example.

Forge World Solemnium looks like a good candidate, left in ruins by an unknown catastrophe. Seems like a good place for some looting.

edit - cannot spell

Edited by demented

Small update on progress and a picture of all the bits put together in a box. It it taking a lot longer to finish the pieces well enough for painting than I had anticipated and I have done a base coat test on the main body. There are still some areas to address before it is ready for painting.

Approx 71 Hours printing time so far, not been counting the hours and hours of sanding :ermm:

NlrGsrv.jpg

I have left to print -

1 Shoulder
2 Arms
2 Weapons
1 upper leg and armour
1 mid leg and 2 mid leg armour
1 lower leg and armour
several parts of one foot

I estimate it is about 65 hours worth of printing remaining but it Might be more as I have increased the detail settings at the expense of speed to try and cut down on the amount of cleanup each part requires

Edited by demented

Hi all,

It is time for a progress report! The last week I have had a lot of family over so I have had to fit work on the titan round them. 

I have been looking for some shortcuts to the sanding and I came across a different type of primer called filler primer. Its thicker than normal primer, fills in small dents and scratches and can be sanded. I ordered some to test and apart from being yellow, its actually proving to be very good. I think it will cut down on the sanding required, but not cut it out completely.

As promised I found time to get a better photo. All bits are in varying states of readiness but I should be ready to start painting some sections very soon.

xS6YO3K.jpg

I have had a think about the paint scheme, name and background. I'm going to put together a data card that will have all the details but right now I'm leaning towards a black and yellow colour scheme, the reaper for a name and it will be a looted, repaired and renamed titan. I've recoloured a side shot of a titan to get an idea of what it may look like:

eTzJMEy.jpg

I know I spoke about doing two warhound titans earlier in the thread but a friend of mine has put an amazing titan diorama idea into my head, so it may be 2.75 warhound titans in the end :happy.:

Lovely hound! Own design or something you found online?

Thanks! There was already a pretty good model available so I have used that as a base so far. 

That's looking glorious! I like the idea of a looted and refurbished titan! Black and yellow paint scheme looks great too.

And I am excited to see how the .75 warhound will look on a diorama? Will it be a partial one being worked on in a repair station or a ruined one they are excavating?

That's looking glorious! I like the idea of a looted and refurbished titan! Black and yellow paint scheme looks great too.

And I am excited to see how the .75 warhound will look on a diorama? Will it be a partial one being worked on in a repair station or a ruined one they are excavating?

Its going to be a titan being destroyed diorama, Titan vrs Necrons 

There will be a leg taken off around the knee, a bit further on the titan trying to remain upright with a missing leg and scarabs swarming all over it eating various parts. I also have a tomb sentinel that will take part wrapped around somewhere.  The two you said also sound interesting, I don't think I have enough time for this hobby :biggrin.:

Lovely hound! Own design or something you found online?

Thanks! There was already a pretty good model available so I have used that as a base so far. 

So did you design the 3d Render yourself based on the FW miniature? Or did you et it from a 3rd party? Just curious :) If the first, I commend your effort and result!

So did you design the 3d Render yourself based on the FW miniature? Or did you et it from a 3rd party? Just curious :smile.: If the first, I commend your effort and result!

The model used was made by several people. The way it works is that someone will create a model that is free to use and allow others to modify it and release there own free versions. The model I'm using is a combination of loads of different models that someone else has all remixed into one, carried out some scale changes on the upper torso and some part modifications.Ssome of the models used were complete, some just part designs.

With the model having undergone several years of tweaks and improvements I've just used the stock model for this print to reduce complexity as this is my first big printing project. There are some items I'd like to improve upon so its on the to-do list for now, such as adding some pint defence under the head (an idea mentioned by someone earlier in the thread).

When I move on to the reaver titan the models available for that are not as good so it will require some extensive modelling to get it up to a decent standard imo. I have always wanted to scratch build some titans and having a 3D printer opens up some very interesting, but very time consuming options.

I'm going to add some sculpted vents, pipes, repaired armour plate, the point defence and other bits and pieces to this one hopefully to give it a bit more character.

Since the last update I have completed print off of the missing upper leg, and assembled them both by attaching the armour and hip joints to each one. Next is the second mid leg section.

Hi all,

It is progress update time!

This weekend was my child's birthday so progress has slowed a little on the printing front. I have however managed to complete printing the second mid leg section and associated armour.

The total print time for this project is now up to approximately 97 Hours.

I have started to paint the body section, base coating the gold, blocking out the yellow Chevrons and getting some of the metalwork progressed. 

There are still a couple of spots that show off the fact it was 3-D printed but as this is a proof of concept I'm very happy with the result so far. I can take a bit more time and use my experience on this one to perfect the finish on the next one.

I'm still on the fence about the black, but It is an easy change to another colour if I decide to change my mind as it starts to come together.

hCfINn7.jpg]

Thanks for looking

Cheers Naryn,  a few areas still look 3D printed when you see the model in the flesh but the majority of the model is smooth as. There are some deep lines on the top of the armour (above the eagle in the first picture) that I'm going to go back over and fill with some greenstuff as they are quite deep and I couldn't sand or fill them enough.I'm trying a couple of different smoothing methods to find out what combination works best. 

My Legio research so far has been targeted at the formation of the legions and backgrounds, but it is likely the colour scheme has been used before.

Hi all,

Update on progress time!

I have printed the bits missing from the lower leg and also the bulk of the weapon printing is now done. I have started laying down paint on the head and one of the feet. I have also started some repair work on the top of the carapace as I couldn't leave it like that.

I am very close to finishing off the printing now, with a few pieces of a foot, the Plasma ammo tanks, an a couple of other minor pieces left to go.

The yellow on the upper legs and the weapons is just primer, they wont actually be yellow :teehee:.

When the printing comes to an end I shall make a start on some of the infantry as I paint the titan. I never thought I'd say this but I'm looking forward to cleaning up some flash instead of sanding this beast! 

Thanks for looking

KKmLS8X.jpg

eeARIXL.jpg