Free Company Army with some Titans

demented

So I have reached the end of the printing, just one arm left to replace a temporary one I printed to check sizing.

I have assembled both legs and in doing so learnt that the connectors for the toes to the main foot shouldn't be printed at 20% infil (they break, think I have one left that hasn't broken :teehee:). The legs are also incredibly hard to pose and the swear jar would be full if I had one.

There is still a long way to go until this beast is ready. There are magnets, some customisation and posing (Only the legs and feet have been glued) and a whole lot of sanding and painting left to do. I'm just waiting on some black undercoat to arrive so I can make a start on painting the leg sections that hide under the armour plates as that will be my next goal.

Total print time including the last arm comes in at approximately 144 hours.

The beast lives! :

zqBvJJZ.jpg

Thanks for looking

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

This thread is due an update so here it is. Progress has slowed a little but I'm still plugging away and its all starting to come together now.

The metallic areas have been rusted up and some further repair work has been carried out on the armour.

I have also carried out an extensive repair on the Plasma Blastgun, mainly around one section of the coils

Next on the list are some newer chips on the metallic areas, laying out the iconography and finishing off a base I have been making to get it ready for painting.

I also want to take the yellow onto the leg armour somehow but haven't decided how exactly.

Maybe a half black/half yellow pattern on the lower leg armour plates, or opposite quarters, or maybe even some more stripes...

Lynnean, I have sent you a pm with some details as I was forced to use multiple sources for this so its quite a long reply.

Thanks for looking

LmHtKm1.jpg

Great work! Looking forward to the finished product. 

Couple questions if I may:

What printer are you using? Quality straight off looks really good.

Any chance you could PM me those details for the print files? I want to print a couple Titans myself.

I'm using an Ender 3, the only modification I have done is adding some motor dampeners to reduce noise. I have no complaints but others have had issues with it so they can be a bit hit and miss.

• 3 weeks later...

Update time!

Confessions first - I have been weak and had to get my hands on a scrapjet as the model is so gorgeous! forgive me as I have spent some time on that this week :biggrin.:

The main body, legs and head of the Titan are almost complete. I have some work to do on the gold trim, a little toning down of the weathering on the  head,finishing touches on the eyes and then some freehand markings. I have also started painting up the Plasma Blastgun and work on the base has started as well. The Chevrons on the lower leg took a while as I went through 3 different layouts before settling on this one.

Let me know what you think about the weathering as its a bit of an experiment for me and thanks for looking.

Y0CG8EK.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update time!

The Warhound is now fully armed having received a Plasma Blastgun and Vulcan Mega Bolter.

Work has started on the base and I'm trying to decide what to decorate it with. I will probably go with some broken weapon's/discarded kit, body parts and maybe a mini or two running round its feet. 

The printer has has a rest from titans for a bit (I had some other projects to complete) but is back on the job again now and you can see a sneaky pic of what is coming up in the last image.Its already up to the Warhound's waist and is about 44 Hours into the printing. Here we go again! :rolleyes:

I've started building some infantry for the army so hopefully some of them will have paint on them for the next update, thanks for looking.

XCS3yoI.jpg

iXotUnJ.jpg

Edited by demented

Haha, I used the model you might have for printing my AT scale Warlord carapace lasers.

Got it in one, Its a really good model!

I saw your sig and thought wow you have a lot of titans, where do you store them all. Then I realized it was for AT so that makes life easier :D

You're doing a warlord.

You're insane. INSANE

As for the infantry: will the loyal 32 be joning your ranks? :biggrin.:

Yeah I didn't quite understand what I was getting into. A friend at work purchased a Warbringer around the time I started the build, and it arrived a few days later in two big boxes! By that time I had finished the foot, and it has a diameter as big as my Warhound base...This might take a while :teehee:.

As for the loyal 32, I'm not really much of a gamer, I just don't have the time at the moment but it would be amiss of me not to include something representing them. The army is going to be a mix of units and that will include Imperial guard, so I might have the loyal 32 as a veteran unit or something that stands out from the rest, thanks for the idea.

Here is an update on how I'm getting on with the background for the army:

Company origins
The company originally started out as three Custodes (known as the three), an Inquisitor and there attached support retinue. They were sent out on a quest to return an artefact stolen during the siege of Terra. The origins of the company are very well documented as the retinue included a member who wrote down the progress of the quest in a journal, and this would became known within the company as the Origin annals.

As the group hunted the artefact they had need to requisition armed forces and supplies, and as the force grew they attracted volunteers that wanted to assist with the hunt, zealots, criminals, adventurers and mercenaries. When the last of the founding members were killed the company had grown to a considerable size, and a decision was made to continue the quest and form a mercenary company. 

During the founding, the army fractured. Many members left to pursue other goals, but the remaining members agreed a code and formed what is now know as the Grey company.  

Without the support of the Legio custodes or inquisition, the company has had to support itself. It does this by maintaining it's reputation, taking paid contracts, salvaging wrecks and battle sites, and support through a network of allies and informers. The company tries to live by the values that the founding members adhered to and as the retrieval of the artefact still hasn't been completed, it remains the company's primary objective. All other actions are taken to ensure the survival of the company to fulfil this quest

The Custodes
Severian was the leader of the three and is remembered for being a great strategist with an unwavering devotion to recovering the relic. The company’s rules, beliefs and organisation originate from his teachings written down in the origin annals. He is known to the company as Severian the wise.

Karristus was large, even for a Custodes. The Origin Annals are filled with entries about his great strength. Severian called him his shield as he was responsible for protecting Severian during battle. Karristus favoured fighting with a shield and hammer, but also sometimes wielded an axe. He is known to the company as Karristus the strong

Lorn was a master of close combat and would often be found at the forefront of battle. Lorn favoured fighting with a two handed sword but his skill made him reckless at times as he would seek out ever increasing odds to test himself. In the Origin Annals there is a rare light hearted passage where Karristus  tells Lorn he spends more time in the infirmary than he does on the battlefield. He is known to the company as Lorn the brave. Lorn was the first of the three to fall in battle and the shards of his sword have been turned into a company relic.

The Annals
When the original retinue member that was writing the history of the quest was killed, another member of the retinue continued the archival work of the search. As the years have passed and the company founding occurred, the role has taken on the form of a tradition rooted in the history of the company. The position has changed and grown, and the Annalist is now more of a strategist that inspires the fighting men with stories from the annals.
  • The Company annalist is responsible for maintaining and updating the Company Annals and rules.
  • There is an annalist and several apprentices.
  • The annals are a collection of all the battles, tactics, major events and loses of the company
  • The annalist is responsible for learning from the annals to assist with tactical planning
  • The annalist recites sections of the annals to members of the company during special occasions, eve of battle etc.
  • The exact number of apprentices fluctuates. They are responsible for recording details for the annals and can often be found on the front lines of battle and so most perish
  • The company annalist is responsible for carrying the company standard into battle
The Annals however, are incomplete. By design or disaster, there are gaps within the Annals in the form of missing or damaged books. Some of the missing books are a casualty of battle, but some of them may have been hidden away on purpose for reasons unknown. The earliest of the Annals are mostly complete.

The vaults
The company has always been a space born force. Without a static home, they can move as they please and not have to worry about defending their base of operations as it comes with them. The vaults are a recent addition to the company, with so much equipment and history, a loss of a single ship can take a heavy toll not just in lives, but equipment, ammunition and history as well. To mitigate this, a series of vaults have been created in remote locations, with equipment and copies of the annals stored there. They can be retrieved if needed, and are remote and small enough that they should remain relatively safe. The loss of a single vault is not much of a concern.

Lynnean, I have sent you a pm with some details as I was forced to use multiple sources for this so its quite a long reply.

Thanks for looking

Awesome work!  I've recently had a few things printed out for me in 3d, some of it really looks the part and other bits depending on printing really show up the layers.  But this project of yours is awesome.  Is it still possible to find these details at all?  I'd very much appreciate any help in trying to source the info to get one of these printed if it's possible please :)

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Update time!

Its been a busy Christmas and new year at our household and I had the worst Flu I can remember in a long time.

Work is continuing on the free company army and the Warlord titan now sits at an amazing 207 hours of printing. I have completed printing all of the left leg, and about 2/3 of the right leg. It is definitely bigger than I thought it would be and I could be well into a third Warhound by now but its keeping my printer busy at least!

I'm having trouble with the infantry. Getting all the right bits together, visualising how they will look and just the general feel of what is right for the army is proving somewhat difficult. So I may stick with the titans for a bit and either try and get a couple of the character models converted to form the infantry around, or make a start on some infantry from another army. Some ideas include a Death company army, or redoing a Relictors force. 

Here is one of the Warlord legs. All of the bits are at various stages of progress but no painting finished yet :blush.:. As normal, most parts are attached with Blu-Tac at the moment.

hTmvTCG.jpg

Happy new year all, may all your hobby dreams come true!

Edited by demented

Amazing work! I've been dreaming in my head recently about 3d printing a titan and here I find your thread and see your amazing work.

I got an Ender 3 about 2 months ago and have recently been spending most of my time printing terrain and upgrades for the printer itself. I've done some 3d modelling before as well back in the day and have dreams of modeling a Lucius Reaver titan for printing someday. Till then I will keep a close eye on this thread!

What a beast!

Are you using a resin printer? The quality is great and there's not that much banding going on.

Thanks Markus_

I'm using a FDM printer called Ender 3. The quality is ok but a titan works well because there are large surfaces without any small details. It lets you use filler paint and polyurethane spray to level the surfaces and sanding smooths it out. It's a lot of work to get right.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, it has been another long time since my last update!

I'm still chipping away at the army and wanted to wait until I had something more substantial to post so here it is.

I'll start with the infantry, no pictures yet as they are all still in the pre-paint phase. I've got a hold of a start collecting Millataum Tempestus box that was on my birthday list and this will start the main block of infantry for the army. The army is really starting to take shape in my head now so hopefully I can post up some infantry pictures in the next few weeks.

The majority of my hobby time is still going into the big guys at the moment. The Warlord now stands at 340 hours of printing time :wacko.: and my advice to anyone wanting to do this themselves.... just don't even consider it! I have assembled the legs and all armour is detachable at the moment. I have one thigh armour piece left to print but it is really starting to take shape now. Warhound for scale :biggrin.:

mWmpAIu.jpg

Happy hobbying and thanks for looking