Meltas and Combi-meltas in DW

vigitant

Thanks to Lemondish, I've started considering trying Combi-Meltas in my KT's.  I always end up operating at that range anyway, and having potent AT threat in every squad would be nice.

Wanted to make a thread to post thoughts on melta options, and to post what people are trying and what their outcomes have been.

Anyone tried more extreme options?  Like a deepstriking unit of combimelta vets?

My biggest problem is that against so many targets, it seems plasma will do the same or more damage.

Heya vigitant! Gonna stink up your thread some more :wink:

The other day I ran 3 of the following 6 man kill teams:

- 1 Black Shield with chainsword and combi-melta

- 1 Watch Sergeant with chainsword and combi-melta

- 2 Veterans with storm bolters and storm Shield

- 1 Veteran with chainsword and combi-melta

- 1 Veteran with frag cannon

Each squad rode in a twin assault cannon Razorback with the lovely pintle-mounted storm bolter (because 2 points for extra dakka). A Watch Master was nearby for rerolling all shots in most of my shooting phases, which was tasty. This ran me 315 points including the transport for each squad.

The analysis that drove me to choose this over Hellblasters: The combi-melta marine is 2 points more expensive than a Hellblaster with 1 less wound, but mathhammer shows it has a slight increase in average damage potential (even when firing both weapons at -1 to hit) when firing at tanks. These marines also don't risk exploding, fire at the same AP, can be delivered where needed without CP in a cheap dakka car that can stick around for support, and fights alongside a couple storm shields giving you additional reliable protection against the most ubiquitous marine killing weapon: plasma. The rest of the squad can also output 8 SIA bolter shots. This is 2 fewer than the Helltercessor squad can commit, and theirs will often be at AP -1 before SIA, but the combi part means the Veterans can pump out another 6 bolter shots where needed. So the analysis looks good on a purely AT perspective, which was my main focus. They would not suffice for hunting down multi-wound infantry units, though. The extra damage is potentially overkill, and less shots mean less potential kills. 

The reality: They were absolute monsters. I ran them with a core of multiple large Intercessor squads carrying auto-bolters acting as the anvil for the melta hammer. They really managed to bring the AT punch I needed alongside a few drop captains with thunder hammers. I included the frag cannon in each squad because they worked really well up close which was where the melta wanted to be anyway. Since I had other solutions to the high toughness multi-wound infantry problem, I never felt like I would have been better off running plasma on these guys. They were there for AT, using the options only Veterans can access to do it. They performed that role admirably. Those extra bolters shots were actually beneficial a few times as well, particularly when hunting characters, where I could fire both weapons with full rerolls. The CP I saved by not building my list to use the Teleportarium at all meant I felt a bit more free in activating those doctrines more often. Normally I like placing the strats on larger squads simply because it helps maximize their damage, but that always seemed to impact my list building because I felt forced to bring max dized Vet or Intercessor squads to hit two Battalions, and had spent 3 right off the bat for deep strike. 

Conclusion: Definitely some compromises made here, and I'll add the caveat that this game was more of a friendly one where the opponent let me proxy in a ton of crap I don't currently have the models for, so it may not hold up in a more competitive environment. For now, though, I'll leave you with this - the melta has a particular role that is inflexible compared to plasma, but it does that role very well if you've managed to mitigate the impact of that trade off elsewhere. 

Each squad rode in a twin assault cannon Razorback with the lovely pintle-mounted storm bolter (because 2 points for extra dakka). A Watch Master was nearby for rerolling all shots in most of my shooting phases, which was tasty. This ran me 315 points including the transport for each squad.

The analysis that drove me to choose this over Hellblasters: The combi-melta marine is 2 points more expensive than a Hellblaster with 1 less wound, but mathhammer shows it has a slight increase in average damage potential (even when firing both weapons at -1 to hit) when firing at tanks. These marines also don't risk exploding, fire at the same AP, can be delivered where needed without CP in a cheap dakka car that can stick around for support, and fights alongside a couple storm shields giving you additional reliable protection against the most ubiquitous marine killing weapon: plasma. The rest of the squad can also output 8 SIA bolter shots. This is 2 fewer than the Helltercessor squad can commit, and theirs will often be at AP -1 before SIA, but the combi part means the Veterans can pump out another 6 bolter shots where needed. So the analysis looks good on a purely AT perspective, which was my main focus. They would not suffice for hunting down multi-wound infantry units, though. The extra damage is potentially overkill, and less shots mean less potential kills. 

The reality: They were absolute monsters. I ran them with a core of multiple large Intercessor squads carrying auto-bolters acting as the anvil for the melta hammer. They really managed to bring the AT punch I needed alongside a few drop captains with thunder hammers. I included the frag cannon in each squad because they worked really well up close which was where the melta wanted to be anyway. Since I had other solutions to the high toughness multi-wound infantry problem, I never felt like I would have been better off running plasma on these guys. They were there for AT, using the options only Veterans can access to do it. They performed that role admirably. Those extra bolters shots were actually beneficial a few times as well, particularly when hunting characters, where I could fire both weapons with full rerolls. The CP I saved by not building my list to use the Teleportarium at all meant I felt a bit more free in activating those doctrines more often. Normally I like placing the strats on larger squads simply because it helps maximize their damage, but that always seemed to impact my list building because I felt forced to bring max dized Vet or Intercessor squads to hit two Battalions, and had spent 3 right off the bat for deep strike. 

Conclusion: Definitely some compromises made here, and I'll add the caveat that this game was more of a friendly one where the opponent let me proxy in a ton of crap I don't currently have the models for, so it may not hold up in a more competitive environment. For now, though, I'll leave you with this - the melta has a particular role that is inflexible compared to plasma, but it does that role very well if you've managed to mitigate the impact of that trade off elsewhere. 

Running numbers on that, im now beginning to consider Assbacks more seriously.  My meta is super knight-heavy.  and 3 assbacks apparently put decent wounds on knights.

only slightly less effective that Lasbacks, though the range is a potential problem.  inside 24" means potential charge from gallants.

As for the combi-melta, i can see how firing both coud be pretty useful

For me, the need for combi-meltas came back around for me when I was trying to use frag cannons as AT weapons. Not the best of choice.

My combi-melta squad (3 combi-melta, 2 regular guys) have done serious work. They have taken out two warlords with the decapitation doctrine (and watchmaster), as well as an Imperial Knight Atrapos (after sinking a lascannon and a couple stormstrike missiles). They do work for sure and they are really good deep striking against a single, multi-wound, high toughness target. I take 3 in the event an invul save is present on that particular target.... chances are good 2 will get through for D6 dmg a piece.

The reason I bring combi-meltas over the meltaguns is simply for the diverse options. If I take out the target, I don't really want to waste my next turn meltagun-ing infantry. If they indeed survived into the next turn, I want them to shoot whatever infantry is left... even if that means hitting on 4s. Still a 50/50 chance to hit, then I'm going to wound on 2's no matter how good their save will be. A forced dice roll is still a forced dice roll. Supporting HQ recommended :)

Would not combine them with SB models unless you plan to give them a VV and several SS to save some wounds. I even went crazy one time and added 2 termies, 1 with a meltafist. Keep the unit cheap, they will be high priority if you deep strike next to their important units.

That six man squad with one Frag Cannon is a great idea, I think I would run that concept identical to that.

A twist on the suicide teleport tactic I've been thinking of is a combat squad of 2 or 3 Meltafist/Storm Bolter terminators and 3 or 2 Combi Melta/Storm Shield Veterans. It will probably die after it comes in, but if you've got some hot dice and a CP re roll available it has the ability to Stonewall a lot of rounds.

For me, the need for combi-meltas came back around for me when I was trying to use frag cannons as AT weapons. Not the best of choice.

My combi-melta squad (3 combi-melta, 2 regular guys) have done serious work. They have taken out two warlords with the decapitation doctrine (and watchmaster), as well as an Imperial Knight Atrapos (after sinking a lascannon and a couple stormstrike missiles). They do work for sure and they are really good deep striking against a single, multi-wound, high toughness target. I take 3 in the event an invul save is present on that particular target.... chances are good 2 will get through for D6 dmg a piece.

The reason I bring combi-meltas over the meltaguns is simply for the diverse options. If I take out the target, I don't really want to waste my next turn meltagun-ing infantry. If they indeed survived into the next turn, I want them to shoot whatever infantry is left... even if that means hitting on 4s. Still a 50/50 chance to hit, then I'm going to wound on 2's no matter how good their save will be. A forced dice roll is still a forced dice roll. Supporting HQ recommended :smile.:

Would not combine them with SB models unless you plan to give them a VV and several SS to save some wounds. I even went crazy one time and added 2 termies, 1 with a meltafist. Keep the unit cheap, they will be high priority if you deep strike next to their important units.

I added storm bolters to mine largely because I had the points to do so, but I absolutely wanted the storm shields to give them a bit more resilience. I toyed with some melee options on the black shield and watch sergeant - the way my local meta is adding a few more players with lots of t5 models with access to invulns could make a couple power mauls pretty useful, actually.

I also wanted to consider assault weapons like the shotgun in place of boltguns/storm bolters just so each member could move super quick while putting down some fire, but ultimately felt that being in the Razorback was enough mobility. The Razorback also meant I didn't really need to keep them in the teleportarium for protection or delivery. I can't tell you how much freer I felt knowing I hadn't committed CP to deliver a unit and feeling it absolutely necessary that they make a mark. It's psychological, sure - because realistically it isn't that big of a cost, but it made me feel like I could consider and explore some uncommon stratagem options.  

Can I ask what the rest of the list was?

Sure!

From Battlescribe...

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Deathwatch) [62 PL, 1188pts] ++

+ HQ +

Librarian with Jump Pack [7 PL, 124pts]: Force sword, Jump Pack, Storm Bolter

Watch Captain [7 PL, 119pts]: The Beacon Angelis, Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Storm Bolter, Thunder hammer

+ Troops +

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]
. Black Shield: Chainsword, Combi-melta
. Veteran: Storm Bolter, Storm shield
. Veteran: Chainsword, Combi-melta
. Veteran w/ Heavy Weapon: Deathwatch Frag Cannon
. Watch Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-melta

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 116pts]: Storm Bolter, Twin assault cannon

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Deathwatch) [41 PL, 810pts] ++

+ HQ +

Watch Captain [7 PL, 119pts]: Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Storm Bolter, Thunder hammer

Watch Master [7 PL, 130pts]: Lord of Hidden Knowledge, Tome of the Ectoclades, Warlord

+ Troops +

Intercessors [11 PL, 228pts]
. Aggressor: Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launchers
. Intercessor: Auto Bolt Rifle, Bolt Pistol
. Intercessor Sergeant: Auto Bolt Rifle, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
. Reiver: Bolt Carbine, Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Aggressor: Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Intercessors [5 PL, 105pts]

++ Total: [103 PL, 1998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The reason I bring combi-meltas over the meltaguns is simply for the diverse options. If I take out the target, I don't really want to waste my next turn meltagun-ing infantry. If they indeed survived into the next turn, I want them to shoot whatever infantry is left... even if that means hitting on 4s. Still a 50/50 chance to hit, then I'm going to wound on 2's no matter how good their save will be. A forced dice roll is still a forced dice roll. Supporting HQ recommended :smile.:

I added storm bolters to mine largely because I had the points to do so, but I absolutely wanted the storm shields to give them a bit more resilience. I toyed with some melee options on the black shield and watch sergeant - the way my local meta is adding a few more players with lots of t5 models with access to invulns could make a couple power mauls pretty useful, actually.

You're right on adding storm bolters, that is viable; so let me clarify. Most of the time you'll want this kind of squad as close as possible to the enemy unit you're going for, but in my experience, its been way too tempting of a target to not charge... even if it's the vehicle/monster you were just shooting at. SB would definitely give you more shots and even flexibility, but I find myself having to think about melee options or having a VV present if I want to beef up the squad some so it becomes a roaming murder ball of death.

Definitely agree with power mauls. They are quite underrated and do well against other space marine factions. Axes if you have the points to spare :)

You're right on adding storm bolters, that is viable; so let me clarify. Most of the time you'll want this kind of squad as close as possible to the enemy unit you're going for, but in my experience, its been way too tempting of a target to not charge... even if it's the vehicle/monster you were just shooting at. SB would definitely give you more shots and even flexibility, but I find myself having to think about melee options or having a VV present if I want to beef up the squad some so it becomes a roaming murder ball of death.

Definitely agree with power mauls. They are quite underrated and do well against other space marine factions. Axes if you have the points to spare :)

My mistake, I misunderstood what you meant. You're absolutely right, that's definitely something to seriously consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure!

From Battlescribe...

+ HQ +

Watch Captain [7 PL, 119pts]: The Beacon Angelis, Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Storm Bolter, Thunder hammer

+ Troops +

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]

+ Dedicated Transport +

+ HQ +

Watch Captain [7 PL, 119pts]: Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Storm Bolter, Thunder hammer

Watch Master [7 PL, 130pts]: Lord of Hidden Knowledge, Tome of the Ectoclades, Warlord

+ Troops +

Hi,

Would you mind sharing the reasoning behind having 1 reiver in 2 intercessor squads? I'm just curious. 

Thanks!

Sure!

From Battlescribe...

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]

+ Dedicated Transport +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

Hi,

Would you mind sharing the reasoning behind having 1 reiver in 2 intercessor squads? I'm just curious.

Thanks!

They were 2 points more expensive than the auto bolter Intercessors, but carried a fundamentally identical weapon. Thus, I felt 2 points per squad was enough to consider adding one in on the off chance terror troops or the shock grenade came into play.

Though, spoiler alert, they haven't yet lol

I wanted to add one to my teams but loosing an Aggressor wasn't the trade I wanted. I wish you could replace one of the original 5 Intercessors.

Ive had the idea to add a Reiver in place of an Aggressor, and cast Might of Heroes on the Sergeant to keep majority tough 5. But it is probably more effort than it's worth.

I think you only cast MoH on characters, tanks and walkers.

Nope. Both Codex SM and Deathwatch books just say "model". Unless there is a faq I'm not aware of, it's absolutely legal to buff a Sergeant, or even a random marine.

Nope. Both Codex SM and Deathwatch books just say "model". Unless there is a faq I'm not aware of, it's absolutely legal to buff a Sergeant, or even a random marine.

Could be used to nicely buff a guy with the heavy thunder hammer too. 3 x Str 10 attacks instead of 2 x Str 8....

Could be used to nicely buff a guy with the heavy thunder hammer too. 3 x Str 10 attacks instead of 2 x Str 8....

Might actually make that weapon worthwhile. 

It's a pity it can't be carried by a Black Shield :(

Hiya!

I'm trying to put together a 3k point list and borrowed from Lemondish's melta squad idea. Please check it out and let me know your thoughts:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Deathwatch) [107 PL, 2051pts] ++

+ HQ [25 PL, 462pts] +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought [11 PL, 174pts]
. Melee weapon [42pts]: Dreadnought combat weapon [40pts], Storm bolter [2pts]
. Melee weapon [12pts]: Dreadnought combat weapon [10pts], Storm bolter [2pts]

Watch Captain in Terminator Armor [7 PL, 158pts]: Combi-melta [20pts], Wrist Mounted Grenade Launcher (Index) [4pts]
. Power Fist and Meltagun [29pts]: Meltagun [17pts], Power fist [12pts]

+ Troops [33 PL, 601pts] +

Veterans [11 PL, 203pts]
. Black Shield [2 PL, 36pts]: Chainsword, Combi-melta [20pts]
. Veteran [2 PL, 25pts]: Storm Bolter [4pts], Storm shield [5pts]
. Veteran [2 PL, 36pts]: Chainsword, Combi-melta [20pts]
. Veteran w/ Heavy Weapon [2 PL, 41pts]: Deathwatch Frag Cannon [25pts]
. Watch Sergeant [2 PL, 40pts]: Chainsword, Combat shield [4pts], Combi-melta [20pts]

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]
. Watch Sergeant [2 PL, 36pts]: Chainsword, Combi-melta [20pts]

Veterans [11 PL, 199pts]
. Watch Sergeant [2 PL, 36pts]: Chainsword, Combi-melta [20pts]

+ Fast Attack [15 PL, 332pts] +

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 64pts]
. Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 64pts]: Twin assault cannon [44pts]

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 64pts]

Tarantula Sentry Gun [9 PL, 204pts]
. Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 70pts]: Twin lascannon [50pts]
. Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 70pts]: Twin lascannon [50pts]

+ Heavy Support [22 PL, 444pts] +

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 324pts]: Grav-flux bombard [65pts], 2x Heavy flamer [34pts], Storm cannon array [50pts]

Whirlwind Hyperios [6 PL, 120pts]: Hyperios launcher [30pts]

+ Dedicated Transport [12 PL, 212pts] +

Termite Assault Drill [6 PL, 106pts]: Melta cutter [10pts], 2x Storm bolter [4pts]

Termite Assault Drill [6 PL, 106pts]: Melta cutter [10pts], 2x Storm bolter [4pts]

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Inquisition) [15 PL, 210pts] ++

+ HQ [15 PL, 210pts] +

Inquisitor [5 PL, 70pts]: Chainsword, Combi-plasma [15pts], Ordo Xenos
. Psyker: Terrify

. Psyker: Dominate

. Psyker: Terrify

++ Air Wing Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Deathwatch) [34 PL, 737pts] ++

+ Flyer [34 PL, 737pts] +

Corvus Blackstar [12 PL, 257pts]: Auspex Array [5pts], Hurricane bolter [10pts], Twin lascannon [50pts]
. 2x Stormstrike Missile Launchers [42pts]: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher [42pts]

Xiphon Interceptor [11 PL, 240pts]: 2x Twin lascannon [100pts], Xiphon missile battery [30pts]

Xiphon Interceptor [11 PL, 240pts]: 2x Twin lascannon [100pts], Xiphon missile battery [30pts]

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Archived